Thread: Jim Creek + Cheesy Video

Default Jim Creek + Cheesy Video

It has been awhile since I have run a prop in Jim Creek, I almost forgot what a PITA the weeds and logs are.

Youtube will finish uploading soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3yJ2ksOU_I

Default canoe

what size canoe an out board ?
    you was moving right along
    SID

It was a long night. Typo correction *Cheesy Video*

On the back is a 8hp Suzuki with a dolefin. I have been thinking a mud motor hanging on the stern would be really neat, but the boat probably wouldn't ride on step.

Default canoe

canoe don't ride on step the faster you go the lower in the water your back end goes, an the way the canoe are built it means that less of canoe is in the water, the rig you have is a great rig, should go any place you want, an great distance with little gas, great for trips, the only thing you will gain with a go Devel is spending more money an loose the ability to move your canoe in tight places thoes go devels are great in wide open places an large streems, in tight places that boom out the back can slow you down a lot, an the center of gravity is a lot higher, take you canoe down the little willow river an see what I mean about close places the only thing you can add is a good lift made out of Fairbanks if you don't have one all ready,
    The Go Devel is a good rig but like every thing it has it limits

MY 2 cts
    SID

Default video

looked about as good as it gets,,
    and you have a great looking dog too.
    thanks for sharing
    very nice
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Cool video. Looks like you're running 12 or 14. Ever had a GPS is the boat? Rocks or water in the bucket?

No GPS but I was taking a wild guess at 15mph. That's a bucket full of ice melt. I needed something to add more weight in the front and that was the first thing that caught my eye in the garage.

Good looking dog yes, but a butt pain in a boat. That was the last time I take her on a canoe ride. kinda funny though, she stopped acting like a wild beast just long enough for me to take the video.

Sid, can you post a link for the lift you are talking about? I have a crude transom rise on the back, which works just fine, but I'm interested in this lift you are talking about.

Default A lift

the block of wood will work, [cheep] but the lift will work a lot better on the canoe they are not cheep, an made in Fairbanks, look on the canoe forum this web site ,,, what is a lift,,, 12 /16/2008, it will show you one on the back of a canoe the instalation can be improved a little, to stop the water from coming up over the back end, if you need more info PM ME an we can talk on the phone or I can show you mine in the back yard I am in Anchorage near Lake hood

SID

Default Good Video

Loading that light in your canoe, I'd assume you were doing 15mph.....maybe a little more! Those zuk motors are powerhouses and I think they are pushing more power than what they are rated for. Judging by the tone of your motor.....it sounds like an 86-87 dt8. If that's the case.....I have a Suzuki factory pdf file with every single part number for the motor.....to include pages of exploded views of those parts. I also know a guy who sells performance reeds for that motor too. It's a pretty cheap mod and a good one.....reeds get tired in motors of that age. Great boat.......looks like you've got a boat that will do everything hunting and fishing in AK. I'd like to meet up with yah sometime. Would you be interested in a trip down the yukon? I'm trying to plan a 2 part trip for next summer. Forum members Familyman and Tradbow if all goes well.......are highly interested in this trip too. PM me. Also one more thing.....I've worked on many a zuk motor, if you ever need a complete tune-up on that thing bring it on over. Zuks have some of the best carbs, strongest lower unit gears, and thickest sheer pins around from what I've seen.

It's a circa 96 DT8 long shaft. The motor has never liked to start, but the outboard has never failed me. I love the smell of a good two stroke. I have another cheesy video uploading right now.

I plan to make atleast one trip during the week after work to my usual grounds. If you want to join me let me know, we can talk about hunting. I hear the fish are running too .

By your handle you must be from the pine tree state. Born in Bangor here, lived on Chemo Pond for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    It's a circa 96 DT8 long shaft. The motor has never liked to start, but the outboard has never failed me. I love the smell of a good two stroke. I have another cheesy video uploading right now.

I plan to make atleast one trip during the week after work to my usual grounds. If you want to join me let me know, we can talk about hunting. I hear the fish are running too .

By your handle you must be from the pine tree state. Born in Bangor here, lived on Chemo Pond for a couple of years.
    I know EXACLTY what you are talking about when you say they are hard to start. I've found a way to get those zuks starting first pull. So here goes: Prime the bulb until tight, apply the choke, put the throttle about 1/3, crank her over, grab the throttle, vary the throttle slowly, turn off the choke, be prepared for her to stall (may need even more throttle for the motor's initial shock of turning off the choke), slowly back down on the throttle until you feel it's just above idle, let her run like that for a good while.

but i'm sure that once she's warmed up.......she starts first pull everytime.

Also, if you feel that the idle screw needs adjustment, make sure to do so. Those mikuni carbs have an idle screw that has been known to vibrate off it's setting. But this is the method you must use to get the zuk to start with one pull. Also make sure there's no champion spark plugs on the motor.....ONLY NGK. Make sure to check the gap....and go a tiny bit past the recommended gap.

Default Mainer...

I think im gonna see if that method of starting the Zuki, will work on a 9.8hp Merc when I get home. That Merc has went thru two pull cords in four initial starts. Any diffrent techneic is a plus in my eyes.

Sorry for hyjacking this thread.
    Water_Gremlin, that setup looks like it works well. I had my son in the front seat of our canoe and he was around 120lbs. Couldn't keep him a foot off the water when trying to check max speed. Still dont know what it is but im sure it's plenty. Think the hull shape has something to do with it.