Thread: Cabin Heater/Drip Oil Furnace

Default Cabin Heater/Drip Oil Furnace

Where can you find a drip oil furnace for heating a cabin?? (not referring to a toyo, etc) Are these even available anymore? We are trying to decide between one of these or a small wood stove for our cabin.

Northeat, Heatland, North Country Stoves, Susitna Energy...they all have versions of non-electric oil stoves.

Beware. If you intend to use the cabin in the winter and expect to show up, light the stove, and heat the building? An oil stove may not be what you want. Oil works great for maintenance heat but doesn't compare to wood for initial heat output.

Default Be prepared

Mr. Pid makes a good point. Arrive at a cabin in the winter at -20f or lower and it will take 5-8 hrs for an oil stove to heat the place to 60-70F. I think, ideally, you need both oil & wood for an optimum setup-- light both the oil and a wood stove to get the quick boost ( 1-2 hrs ) , then maintain temp with either one. If it's just a spring/summer/fall use cabin, an oil heater would be just fine.
    Many of the newer oil-drip stoves have a parlor-style stove look for good asthetic appeal--- a far cry from the old brown Preway, Dearborn, or Perfection units many people remember. Be prepared to spent at least $1K--- the good looks and higher efficencies vs. old oil htrs definately raised the price point, too.
    Any of the businesses Mr. Pid recommended carry good quality units.
    I think the Napolean brand units are even American made.

Agreed. My buddy has an oil stove (old school) in his hunting/snowmachine cabin. It is great during hunting season. In the winter however, The 1st night would be truely miserable if it were not for the woodstove to bring the cabin up to temp 1st. Then we kill the woodstove and run just the oil to keep a nice even temp in there and nobody has to get up and feed the woodstove in the middle of the night. Best of both worlds. If I had to pick just one, it would be the woodstove in the winter unless you let the oil go 24/7 and keep it up to temp all the time.

The problem with small cabins and woodstove are you really need a small stove or you will overheat the inside. The with a small stove you just don't have any burn time.

I would agree if you can put an oil burner in and a wood burner, the wood will get the cabin heated up faster and then maintain the heat with oil as needed. That sounds like over kill but there is just not alot of obtion unless you just want to work at it alot.
    good luck

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Does anyone make a small used oil burner. I have seen large used oil furnaces that were intended for shops but I don't generate that much used oil.
    That's what she said...

Nordic Stove is small and does a fine job. You need a good head on the fuel supply and pay attention to the advice on installing the stack. I have a perfectoin in the main lodge and the nordic in my cabin (16x16) I am not there in the winter but Octember can get chilly.

The Nordic I got is about 16 inches tall about 8 inches dia. round and uses outside air for combustion. I installed it on a wood box about 16" square with the open end facing out and it is a nice place to put my boots to keep them out of the way...

George

Default Craigslist

Just saw this on Craigslist.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/for/1290870584.html

Better get on this.

George

Default This is an excellent tutorial

on oil drip/waste oil heaters. A lot of thought and experimentation and engineering has accomplished an oil heater that is inexpensive to build and fairly easy to maintain.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    on oil drip/waste oil heaters. A lot of thought and experimentation and engineering has accomplished an oil heater that is inexpensive to build and fairly easy to maintain.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...earth/me4.html
    Very nice...I will try to build one sometime.
    That's what she said...

I presently live and work close to Lake Clark

Default Drip stove

You can find some inexpensive ones on craigslist. I plan to put a drip stove and woodstove in my cabin. The dripstove would be good to have if I go away for any real length of time.

We have a small cabin near Trapper Creek. It has a propane heater (direct vent) and it works great. We show up Friday night, fire it up and within an hour or two it is into the tolerable range temperature-wise. Three or 4 hours and we are fully up to speed.

A wood stove would take up too much floor space in our cabin and would definitely cook us out of there in short order. The whole wood stove to quickly heat the cabin thing really depends on the size of the cabin and the location. It doesn't get colder than -10F all that often where we are. Also, its a recreational cabin and if it is going to be -20F/-30F over a weekend we just don't go. -30F has a way of sucking the fun out of riding around on the snogos.

just put a drip oil line in a wood stove, thats what we used to do, get the room hot with wood then turn the drip on...
    Semper Fi!