Thread: Panning and such in Chicken AK...

Default Panning and such in Chicken AK...

A group of my family are thinking of a trip north to do some minor prospection/ panning and other than Alaska Mapper ( which is **** confusing ) what can I look up or where can I go to find out about the areas avail in Chicken. I dont want to end up on someones claim and get shot at.... Or any advice from that area, is the road up to Chicken RV ok, use metal detectors? Anyhow, I am looking for a trip with the fam to see some sights and such. Let me know!

I was up there for the 4th. There is the chicken gold camp, which will nickle and dime you, but is reliable for gold. It will cost you $20 per day to pan. Either $10 to camp there and $10 to pan or if you do not camp there $20 per person to pan. I think it cost $35 to sluce plus others in your party could help for the price of panning. There is a state recreational gold panning area in that area, but I forget the name of it.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

While you do have to pay at the Chicken Gold Camp it's well worth the price. Those guys have some pretty good claims. I make a trip up there at least once a summer and usually spend a week.

Any weblinks or phone numbers to the camp? I would be taking the RV to camp in on or off site.. whichever.

Default Panning and such in Chicken, Ak...

Quote Originally Posted by garnede View Post
    I was up there for the 4th. There is the chicken gold camp, which will nickle and dime you, but is reliable for gold. It will cost you $20 per day to pan. Either $10 to camp there and $10 to pan or if you do not camp there $20 per person to pan. I think it cost $35 to sluce plus others in your party could help for the price of panning. There is a state recreational gold panning area in that area, but I forget the name of it.
    Garnede,

Not sure what you mean by "nickel and dime" when the cost for panning is $10/day and camping is $10/day. If that's "nickel and dime" stuff, then so be it. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for "pay to play". It's $30/day to sluice and $50/day to high bank or dredge. Most "nickel and dime" prices are published on our website. Thanks for the mention.

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp

Quote Originally Posted by chickengold View Post
    Garnede,

Not sure what you mean by "nickel and dime" when the cost for panning is $10/day and camping is $10/day. If that's "nickel and dime" stuff, then so be it. It doesn't get much cheaper than that for "pay to play". It's $30/day to sluice and $50/day to high bank or dredge. Most "nickel and dime" prices are published on our website. Thanks for the mention.

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp
    Hey Mike.
    Good to see you on here!
    I really appreciate your input on the Alaska Gold forum & we could use it here too.
    I'm trying to talk my folks into bringing their motorhome up from the states this year & if we do we plan on driving up from Kenai & meeting them at your place. I know they will love the area. My wife & I sure do.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Panning and such in Chicken, AK...

Hi Vance,

You are in Kenai? We are in Homer this winter. We'll leave for Chicken in late March. We have a growing number of repeat visitors from the peninsula. We are opening up a bunch more ground so if we don't dry up like last summer, it should be interesting. Look forward to meeting you this summer.

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp

Default Chicken Gold

For our honeymoon in August, 2008 my wife and I took a road trip from Skagway through Whitehorse and Dawson City and over to Chicken and all the way up to Denali and back to Skagway. In the 2 weeks we were on the road by far our favorite place was Chicken. We stayed at Chicken Gold Camp and did some panning right at the lodge and could not have been happier. We rented one of the cabins they have onsite and I have to say thank you Mike. You and your staff were the best. Thanks for making our trip. And we never had an empty pan the whole time we were there. That's a good patch of dirt you got. Thanks again.

Brian

Default Chicken Gold Camp

Thanks Brian. Great to hear encouraging words.

We have made changes to our website and started a blog and facebook page to post current information and hopefully interesting tidbits on mining, travel, local history, events, etc.

You can check out the facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicke...p/188353539285

And our blog here: http://www.chickengold-blog.com/

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp

Hi Vance,

You are in Kenai? We are in Homer this winter. We'll leave for Chicken in late March. We have a growing number of repeat visitors from the peninsula. We are opening up a bunch more ground so if we don't dry up like last summer, it should be interesting. Look forward to meeting you this summer.

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp
    Hey Mike!

Not sure how I missed this before, but yeah I am in Kenai. If you get this way give me a call & I'll buy you a cup of coffee. 398-7921
    I sure hop to make it that way this summer. If the folks bring their moterhome up it will be a "for sure". If not it may have to wait a year, but I sure hope not!
    My father in law has a cabin in Eagle that he has never seen. He was working up there in the 70s or early 80s & bought some land. Later a guy wanted to buy half the land to build a cabin on & told my father in law he would build him a cabin on the remainder as payment for the land. He followed through & all went well but my father in law hasn't been up since. The wife & I went up there in 90. Cabin was in nice shape but folks had obviously squatted in it a bit. I started to replace the padlock someone had torn off but figured if I did they might break a window the next time, so we left it unlocked as we found it. Nothing in there to steal as there was no stove or anything. It's on the left on the hilside just as you are dropping down into town. I love that country & would love to end up with the cabin. My father in law is 88 now so he'll probably never see it. Hmmm... maybe that would be a good way to work out an all expenses paid trip to Eagle & Chicken. I'll offer to take him up to see it this summer!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Garnede,

Mike
    Chicken Gold Camp

Mostly, I was upset that I arrived at 4 am and had to pay for staying the "night". I had a good time panning for gold up there, and found some nice gold, including a piece of wire gold. The gentle man checking tickets and helping the miners was very helpful. He helped us set up our sluice box, and gave us a hand cleaning up the concentrates. I just wanted to give my opinion on what was asked. Have a great day.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

We went up to Chicken year before last anh hibanked for a couple days. We didn't get very much, just flakes but another guy and his grandson found two nuggets, a 2 plus oz and a half oz. Paid for thier trip.

Default That's when...

Dogfish,

We must have been there at the same time. I showed up just as the guy and his grandson were leaving. Their story definately gave me a little gold fever.