Thread: Canon unveils a new IS system

Default Canon unveils a new IS system

Canon has developed a new image stabilization system (supposed to be better than IS), and should be incorporated to lenses by the end of this year:
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/09...onhybridIS.asp

Good to get the info now, planning on buying new camera soon, looks like I might wait a bit for other lens.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Good to get the info now, planning on buying new camera soon, looks like I might wait a bit for other lens.
    I just wait for the new lenses, and then buy existing lenses for a slightly lower price. I have been buying some non-IS lenses that are real good and priced just right, since a lot of people want the IS ones.

The time lag for full implementation of new technology to optics for SLR cameras is measured in years. Hence the significance of that announcement will probably have an effect on the camera you buy to replace anything you are thinking about now! By that time there will be a few lenses incorporating the new technology. It will be a nearly decade before it is typically available for most lenses you might consider owning...

I wouldn't wait if you need a new camera now.

It seems the only advantage is that the new system adds compensation for rotational movement. I'm not sure how they manage to do that with an in-lens system, but however they do it, it doesn't sound like a big improvement. Perhaps there is more to it than what little I've read about it. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    It seems the only advantage is that the new system adds compensation for rotational movement. I'm not sure how they manage to do that with an in-lens system, but however they do it, it doesn't sound like a big improvement. Perhaps there is more to it than what little I've read about it. Time will tell.
    It's probably a big deal, otherwise they would not be announcing it. According to the news, the new IS also compensates for angular movement in addition to the normal shaking motion. It means that it works somewhat like a gyroscope.

The first lens with the new IS system is scheduled for the end of August.

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    The first lens with the new IS system is scheduled for the end of August.
    Do you know which one you'll be buying? (I'm guessing you're getting one, right?)

Do you know which one you'll be buying? (I'm guessing you're getting one, right?)
    No. For my type of photography (plenty of daylight, and the use of a tripod), I don't need IS. So what I have been doing is buying lower-priced, but same quality, non-IS L lenses. Now the the new IS system is being incorporated into the newer lenses, it's very possible that within a year or so lenses that now use standard IS will drop in price slightly as photographers begin switching to the new IS.

Thanks Ray. I'm holding back a little for now before I even get my camera so I dug out my old Canon FTQL I purchased in "Nam in 1969, dusted it off & out and start buying film for awhile. My favorite shooting lens for that is 55-135. Together they weigh a bit but I'll enjoy becoming reacquainted for awhile.

Had a tough time finding finding a battery replacement for it, 1.3v mecury battery, but found a replacement that makes 1.3v and not mercury...

Thanks Ray. I'm holding back a little for now before I even get my camera so I dug out my old Canon FTQL I purchased in "Nam in 1969, dusted it off & out and start buying film for awhile. My favorite shooting lens for that is 55-135. Together they weigh a bit but I'll enjoy becoming reacquainted for awhile.

Had a tough time finding finding a battery replacement for it, 1.3v mecury battery, but found a replacement that makes 1.3v and not mercury...
    Still using film. Do you develop it yourself?

P.S.
    The rumor has it that the new EF macro lenses will have the new IS built-in. I have a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, but since I use it while the camera is on a tripod I can do without IS. The idea of having IS on macro lenses is for macro photography of insects without using a tripod. These photographers slowly creep closer and closer to insects in dark areas, with a ring flash mounted on the front of the lens.

These ring flashes are very expensive, however:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...acro_Ring.html
    This and other ring flashes have two incandescent lights that are used by the camera to assist the flash, but they can also be used to use the lens auto-focus.
    There is another more expensive flash that uses two small lights (tubes) mounted on flexible extensions one can move around.
    These guys are real good at macro photography:
    http://www.lordv.smugmug.com/
    http://dllavaneras.deviantart.com/gallery/

Photography has been on the back burner for more years than I like and I'm getting my feet wet again with going digital. I used to develop all my film but sold all my equipment 15-20 years ago.

But until I get the new stuff I'm bringing out the antique and get it going again.

thanks
    kingfisherktn