Thread: Brutal Weather in Seward

Talking Brutal Weather in Seward

Save you gas for the next few days, it is brutal in Seward right now. Even fishing in the bay is miserable. East winds to 45 yesterday and close today. Caines head looked like the open ocean. Looks like even Saturday if forecast to be SE 35 and 14' in the ocean. The crossing to Cheval Narrows has been difficult in my 46' boat. Getting out is not too bad but getting home during the afternoon outgoing tide has been dangerous.
    If you can wait a week, it will be much more fun in a small private boat.

in the mean time, it will be the full "Alaskan Experience" for my customers!!

No thanks Capt...I've had that "experience" and I will gladly wait it out. Been watching the weather over that way wanting to get bakc out again. We had a ball last week, but I don't want silvers that bad! The Cook inlet side is no better. Time to do some chores.

I was a little worried about the little skiffs out there at Pony and Cheval last weekend myself. I hit some really big cresting waves on Sunday in my CD 22 and wondered how those smaller boats made it. One thing is for sure; the weather has not gotten better since then......In fact it has turned for the worse. Let's hope thing turn for the better soon

Default forcast says this

PKZ121-231400-
    RESURRECTION BAY
    400 PM AKDT WED JUL 22 2009

.TONIGHT...S WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT. RAIN.
    .THU...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .THU NIGHT...S WIND 15 KT DIMINISHING TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    3 FT. RAIN.
    .FRI THROUGH SAT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SUN AND MON...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

this is what i see the forecast should be but eyes on the water must be different.

Default This is more like it for Pony Cove

Pkz120-231400-
    cape suckling to gore point
    400 pm akdt wed jul 22 2009

small craft advisory through thursday night

tonight
    se wind 25 kt. Seas 12 ft. Rain.

Thu and thu night
    se wind 25 kt. Seas 11 ft. Rain.

If you take the ocean forcast and the Prince William Sound forcast and go half way in between that will usually give you Pony/Cheval/ Pilot Rock weather.

The Res Bay forcast is usually about right for Caines Head and Points North....South of Caines and more so South of Callisto Head is more like the open ocean forcast above.

Good luck

Fri and fri night
    se wind 15 kt. Seas 7 ft.

Sat
    se wind 30 kt. Seas 11 ft.

Sun
    se wind 35 kt. Seas 14 ft.

Mon
    se wind 20 kt. Seas 10 ft.

That is inside the islands. Once outside Caines headed out to Pony cove, this is what you will be seeing...

PKZ120-231400-
    CAPE SUCKLING TO GORE POINT

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...

.TONIGHT...SE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 12 FT. RAIN.
    .THU AND THU NIGHT...SE WIND 25 KT. SEAS 11 FT. RAIN.
    .FRI AND FRI NIGHT...SE WIND 15 KT. SEAS 7 FT.
    .SAT...SE WIND 30 KT. SEAS 11 FT.
    .SUN...SE WIND 35 KT. SEAS 14 FT.
    .MON...SE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 10 FT.

Sorry AKcapt, looks like we were typing at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by 338MUZZLEBREAK View Post
    PKZ121-231400-
    RESURRECTION BAY

.TONIGHT...S WIND 20 KT. SEAS 4 FT. RAIN.
    .THU...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT. RAIN.
    .THU NIGHT...S WIND 15 KT DIMINISHING TO 10 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. SEAS
    3 FT. RAIN.
    .FRI THROUGH SAT...S WIND 10 KT. SEAS 2 FT.
    .SUN AND MON...S WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.

this is what i see the forecast should be but eyes on the water must be different.
    We've all seen the times mother nature doesn't listen to the forecast - Saturday's weather forecast was rain, 10/2 for the bay & 20/4 for CS to GP until Sunday. It was closer to 3's heading out to Cheval in the a.m. & the 3:30 p.m. trip from Cheval Narrows to Fox Island was a steady north wind pushing rain & 4 footers against the tide until we got close to the leeward shore behind Rugged Island. It was a wet, slow & lumpy ride in my 22' SeaRunner with the tabs down & the heater going.

We finished the day one silver short of three limits in Sunny Cove. Sunny Cove to Seward was wetter but a lot smoother after the tide turned although visibility wasn't too great until we got past 4th of July. The north launch was pretty mucked up because no one wanted to take the leeward side of the floats to land their boat, so we ended up circling the fuel dock until the mess cleared itself out.

All in all, it was a pretty good warmup for the derby next month! If the USCG is listening, maybe they could offer a mandatory "hands-on" class or two on how to launch & retrieve your trailerable boat at a public launch.

BTW- Does anyone know who is running the new Twin Vee Catamaran in Seward this year? It's a nice looker & I'd like to hear what he thinks of that boat.

Thumbs up thanks AKCAPT

now i understand where your talking about. Wife wants to go to Seward as its been probably 8yrs since weve been able to do so. I just dont want to go out too far with the oldest daughter being 8yrs old now. If there is any question about weather i wont take any chances with the family so thanks again for pointing out the fact that i was looking at the wrong forecast.

Good luck fishing!!

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Pkz120-231400-
    cape suckling to gore point
    400 pm akdt wed jul 22 2009

small craft advisory through thursday night

tonight
    se wind 25 kt. Seas 12 ft. Rain.

Thu and thu night
    se wind 25 kt. Seas 11 ft. Rain.

If you take the ocean forcast and the Prince William Sound forcast and go half way in between that will usually give you Pony/Cheval/ Pilot Rock weather.

The Res Bay forcast is usually about right for Caines Head and Points North....South of Caines and more so South of Callisto Head is more like the open ocean forcast above.

Good luck

Fri and fri night
    se wind 15 kt. Seas 7 ft.

Sat
    se wind 30 kt. Seas 11 ft.

Sun
    se wind 35 kt. Seas 14 ft.

Mon
    se wind 20 kt. Seas 10 ft.

Still going to go out fishing, summer is too short. it won't be too bad inside, if you can handle some rain

Unhappy AK Capt is right...

Been down here since Sunday with my family, have a 32' Uniflite so I am not worried about the boat. Fished the bay Sunday night and Monday and did okay w/silvers out to Agnes, but oh boy the ride back was the Alaska experience.

We are suppose to stay till tomorrow but I think I am going to save the fuel and show them the Anchorage side of business. Mother nature just has not cooperated this week.

Till next time.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    BTW- Does anyone know who is running the new Twin Vee Catamaran in Seward this year? It's a nice looker & I'd like to hear what he thinks of that boat.
    Are you talking about the aluminum vessel? The Tia Rose, by chance? If so, that is Alaskan Fishing Adventures....I have been out on 'er and she is super smooth!

Quote Originally Posted by akseakayaker View Post
    Are you talking about the aluminum vessel? The Tia Rose, by chance? If so, that is Alaskan Fishing Adventures....I have been out on 'er and she is super smooth!
    Not the same boat - Twin Vee makes fiberglass boats & this one had no name on it that I could see.

Cool Cheval Narrows Thursday 7/23

Just got back to day with ProFish&Sea Capt Woody, and yes it was about as forecast! Even while fishing, it was rocking and rolling pretty good, and had a consistently inconsistent whip of sharp 15 second wind bursts that would get into your rain gear no matter what. While no means the roughest trip ever, it rates as a pretty interesting one in a lifetime of fishing up here; certainly a unique weather convergence with the tides and all.

The morning started as one of those where-having booked the "combo"-you collectively make your decision at the dock to a) scrub w/100% refund, or b) go with the possibility that you may not be able to fish at all, but hopefully for salmon and probably only a half day. We chose the latter and ended up limiting out, due in no small part to the great effort of the skipper-good job!, along with the fellow fisherman all from the Lower 48 and rookies in the Alaska Salt. I'm confident that the stories will be told with no embellishment whatsoever around the campfire in MN, KS, and TX-and AK too!

Bottom line: Great Silver fishing, sh!$%ty weather, and exemplary customer service in spite of things.

[QUOTE=AKCAPT;537644]Pkz120-231400-

AKCapt,
    Thanks for the tip. I never quite knew how to understand the forecast. This rule of thumb will help in the future.

As others said, it was a bit snotty on Saturday. We were trolling around Agnes The wind and rain were a little invigorating. The run in around 4 - 5 pm was interesting. Trying to load was a bit more crowded but still moved pretty fast. All in all we had a great long weekend. With the weather we didn't get a chance to chase Hali's on Saturday. The water in Aialik Bay on Thursday and Friday reminded me of my desktop. Flat and calm.