Thread: Trolling silvers with plugs

Default Trolling silvers with plugs

Has anyone here used plugs to troll for saltwater silvers? I usually just use a hoochie or herring, but I got some rapalas this year because they were on sale, and thought they might catch some too. I have caught lake trout on rapalas like this, so i guess they should probably work.

The Lures in Question: Rapala X-Rap 13 Jointed Shad in Silver, Or size 14 Rapala magnum in Mullet.(Sorry, But i could not figure out how to post a picture of them)

I've caught kings and coho on kwikfish, wiggle warts, and hotshots in the salt. When they don't want herring, I switch to one of the above.

I fished Pony Cove 2 days last week and used zero herring. All plugs and limited out quick both days... We were using downriggers though.

Default J-13 rapalas

these are killer lures I always take some with me when I head south they work for all kinds of fish, if you troll with 20 lb line they run about 10 feet.

Default Spinners are even better then plugs..

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    I've caught kings and coho on kwikfish, wiggle warts, and hotshots in the salt. When they don't want herring, I switch to one of the above.

Spinners are even better option then plugs in my experience in the salt.

I've caught silvers on trolled kwikfish, no downriggers needed. Obviously downriggers would help, but we did pretty well with just a naked kwikfish.

Fished 2 downriggers same time-same depth, one with herring and the other with 4 1/2 inch plug that I thought closest resembled a herring. Apparently I'm no fish. The herring had 9 times the hookups for the day. Thought I would try the plug-seemed easier than herring. I used a Yo-Zuri crystal minnow.

Dodger and fly or dodger and flutter spoon has been productive for me, use with downrigger
    NRA Lifetime Member

5" tomic salmon plugs, trolled deep (70-100 feet) will get big silvers and kings, if kings are around. Hoochies and smaller spoons/lures don't discriminate on silver size like the larger plugs do.

I don't see why the various rapala-type lures wouldn't work.

Every lure has it's day. 26 years of trolling with downriggers for silvers in Res. Bay has produced coho on everything I've tried. Some days herring works the best, other days spoons, and so on. One day we couldn't buy a bite with a herring dodger and hoochie/squid setup. My dad switched to a dodger and a fly he tied up the night before-bam! The point is, if you are at the right depth with the proper speed, almost anything of the right size will work. I too have done well with spoons and spinners, but some days the plugs will outfish them. Two years ago some killer whales were in the bay harrassing silvers. No one, not even the charters could catch a thing. Out of boredom, I put on a magnum wigglewart and dropped it to 120 feet, thinking the fish had sounded to avoid the orcas. As soon as I sat down-bam. We got our limit in short order.

Default What Size Kwikfish - any color preferences

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I've caught silvers on trolled kwikfish, no downriggers needed. Obviously downriggers would help, but we did pretty well with just a naked kwikfish.
    Ihave always have very good action with the salmon prop lure and a very small piece of herrinr. What size of Kwikfish do you use?
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!