Thread: Murphy Dome Road Report

Default Murphy Dome Road Report

Drove my truck to the top of MDR this morning and dropped the ATV. I would say the top 95% of the road looks the same as it has the last 4 years I've been down there. Lots of rocks and bumps but nothing major has changed. The 3 mud holes at the bottom aren't mud holes with all the dry weather. They still have all the ruts but the ruts have hard bottoms so should be relatively "easy" to get your boat to the Chat. I would say the river is down a good foot which will make the first few turns even more interesting.

I'm going to take my boat down tomorrow and see if we cant catch a few pike up on the flats. Just wondering if anyone has been up that way fishing in the past few weeks and if they could give me a report as to how the fishing was.

Hope my report was helpful to anyone else planning on making a run at it.

Thanks in advance
    -Helmuth

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth View Post
    Drove my truck to the top of MDR this morning and dropped the ATV. I would say the top 95% of the road looks the same as it has the last 4 years I've been down there. Lots of rocks and bumps but nothing major has changed. The 3 mud holes at the bottom aren't mud holes with all the dry weather. They still have all the ruts but the ruts have hard bottoms so should be relatively "easy" to get your boat to the Chat. I would say the river is down a good foot which will make the first few turns even more interesting.

I'm going to take my boat down tomorrow and see if we cant catch a few pike up on the flats. Just wondering if anyone has been up that way fishing in the past few weeks and if they could give me a report as to how the fishing was.

Hope my report was helpful to anyone else planning on making a run at it.

Thanks in advance
    -Helmuth
    i wold take a look at the fire on the flats before headed down...

the Minto fire is now up over 200,000 acers and looks from the hwy. to exted from clear al the way and crossed the Tanana.........

Just a consideration...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

You mean the road to the Chatanika River from Murphy Dome road. The fire is not on the north side of the river. The water in the lakes is a bit on the high side.
    Tim

The fire has yet to cross the river. Map updates for the entire state can be found here:

http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf/imf.jsp?site=fire

Thanks for the road report as well. Was going to go head down it in a couple weeks.

Default the end of MDR..

Just wondering if the pike fishing is any good at the end of MDR? I dont really want to take my truck down there but will take my 4 wheeler. I have never been down there so i'm wondering if i can catch pike from the boat launch. (dont have a boat) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Default hats off to you helmuth

driving the long way around to minto seems like the lesser of 2 evils. dragging a boat down the mdr trail was less than spectacular the couple times i gave it a shot. most interesting was meeting a truck half way along the trail dragging a boat coming out while i was going in.
    i talked to someone 2 yrs ago that launched off the pipeline trail north of old mdr. i'd like to find out how to do that.

I really dont think that the distance that you have to drive to minto is what everyone is concerned about. I'm pretty sure it is all the horror stories that keep happening over and over about what happens to your truck and trailer when it is parked there. Anyways, We got back yesterday fishing wasn't anything spectacular but always a fun trip. No signs of smoke or fire either.

Default ADFG appears to have destroyed the pike fishery

The last few years the "subsistance" pike permit holder(s) have taken hundreds of pike through the ice of the Chatinika/Goldstream in the flats. Several time there were frozen pike stacked up like cord wood on the ice near their sets. The enforcement people were notified, only to say the activities were within the confines of the permit. The ADFG apparently has no respect for pike, this has been demonsrated by poisoning several interior lakes and replacing these hardy Alaskan fish with trout, etc. Throughout the last two summers and falls the pike fishing in the flats has been weak at best. Everyone who enjoys pike fishing needs to send that message to the ADFG as often as you can, or, I fear, those boys and girls will replace as many pike as they can with other fish.

I went to Minto a few weeks ago. The fishing was not great. I believe this was do to the high water and heat. I sure hope it is not do to over harvesting. The fish where there, they just were not much interested in feeding. It has been like that every time I was there when the water was high and the weather hot. I launched from the village; no issues.

What few pike are here in the valley are being fished at an alarming rate. The pike derby they have had the last two winters has destroyed the pike fishing in some of the best lakes. All the while accomplishing nothing. Pike are still in there, and some of these lakes they don't intend on putting trout in. Pike are so much fun to catch and are way better to eat than any trout.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default I agree

I agree with all of you guys and I am glad to see people that are enthused as I am about Pike fishing. Don't get me wrong I love to cast a fly too and catch a trout as well, but Pike fishing is where i learned to fish so it i really enjoy it. I am going to try and contact ADFG and speak my opinion but I think it is a pretty uphill battle. It is amazing how AK is the only place where pike are hated so much but states like WI and MN favor these great fish. Minto is a great trip but I dont know how many more times I will keep doing it unless I get convinced that the fishing will be worth it. Just my two cents.

-KH