Thread: 22 Magnum in Alaska

Default 22 Magnum in Alaska

Okay...so personally I don't have much use for a 22 mag in Alaska because it is way more expensive than 22lr and really tears up small game for the pot.

Anyone think otherwise? What do you use your 22 mag for in Alaska? Trying to decide if the one I have is worth fixing and keeping (weird problem...shoots way left) or fixing and selling.

Some wolf hunters use 10 22's in 22 mag ....close work off of snowgo's

I love mine for grouse, porkies, coyotes or fox...

The key to not splattering game for me seems to be solids with higher weights....

I still plink mostly with the 22 lr but I have really enjoyed the extra zip of my ruger 96/22 in 22 mag ....one inch groups at 100 yards.....seems to drop hard after that though. A fun gun....I'd keep it.

I've got a 22 mag in a marlin heavy barrel that will shoot terrific groups zeroed at 110 yds. I stay away from the ballistic tip type bullets for shooting furbearers.

Catch It is right on about the heavier solids being quite a bit more pelt friendly.

Perfect yard gun on the Farmstead. Works on Black Bears, Wolves, etc. much less noise, than a center fire rifle. Perfect for Hawks & Owls in the poultry pens. In winter when the Brown Fuzzy's are asleep, the .22 Magnum is my main winter walk'around firearm.

I love em. Yes ammo is pricey but I do not use mine to practice with. They shoot much flatter than a .22 LR and deliver a much nicer wallop on small game.
    Tennessee

I love my marlin bolt action 22mag. That lone ptarmigan, bunny, or grouse that is 75 meters away doesnt stand a chance with a head shot from this rifle. I feel so much more comfortable on long shots with this then I do my 10/22.

Well placed shots w/ a 22 mag is effective on foxes out to about 100 and coyotes to about 50. My experience is they are pretty hard on pelts and meat of smaller game animals such as upland birds and hares.

Default 22 mag

I have a Savage modle 24C, 22mag over 20 gauge. It is the break down modle that is easy to carry. It fits in a pack just fine or on a snow machine. I find that it works great for fox. The 20 gauge up close and the 22mag for the longer shots. The only issue I have with it is the sights. They tend to be a little 'course' for these old eyes. When you get into some birds, the 20 gauge is there and with the 22mag I can reach out as far as my eyes let me for snow hares.
    Like others have said 'pricey to pratice with' but good in the woods.

Ballistically it's the same at 100 yards as a 22lr is at the muzzle. As long as you can keep it to head shots on stuff for the pot I can see how a handy lever gun with a 4x scope could do a number on a rabbit staring back at you from 50 yards or the lynx, coyote, or wolf that pops out up a river bed in front of you.

Maybe I'll keep it...

Between mentally adjudicated and cybersapce

Default Bobblehead

The iron sights being misaligned on my 22 Mag were a blessing in disguise. As I said in a previous post, after putting that scope on, that rifle became my go to gun for squirrels.

At the time I was stationed in Virginia and was a member of a local hunting club. Although most of the members were only interested in the deer, a few of us hunted everything that had a season.

The club president and I both believed the best way to hunt squirrel was with 22's, more challenging and great rifle practice. We set an informal rule for ourselves to make it even more challenging, head shots only, no meat wasted. No money or anything was involved, just a gentlemen's challenge. Whoever had the most head shots was the champion of the day.

The scope made all the difference in the world! Pin point accuracy. Had the President not count one of my squirrels one day, because the bullet was on the neck side of the ear instead of the skull side, even though the ear was pierced.

Since then I have gone to scopes on alomst all of my 22's. Great way to save meat on all shots. Really helps distinguish the bunnies at longer range's when they are in the snow as well.

Ralph

close, I went with a .17 hmr. I like it A LOT

strange, I don't seem to tear up any meat for the pot with my 22 mag, suspect maybe it's the type of ammo your using. I merely like the 22 mag simply because if I need to make a longer shot it can be done, the 22 Long has some limitations in that area..

I used to own a marlin bolt in 22 mag. I really miss the rifle. I shot a spike white tail one year with it. I shot him in the white patch of his neck, it dropped him instantly. That was over 10 yrs ago and I cant honestly remember what load I was using. I also used to make some long range shots with it on crows (100 yd shots). I tended to stay away from it when I hunted ruffies n rabbits.....the velocity of it was a bit too much. For small game hunting where other larger predators could be around.....my interest in the 22 mag has been revived. Especially when I hear that forum members find that the Full Metal Jacketed bullets are less damaging to meat. A simple 22 mag scoped with a weaver 1-3 would def. be what I'd want to snowshoe around with.

Default Henry 22 WMR

I specifically purchased this rifle as a midrange gun for small game (and because I didn't have any lever guns at the time). It will extend the range from my .22 LR by over 50 yards and with a jacketed, heavy bullet; it shouldn't do much pelt damage. I plan to get a .204 for situations beyond the range of the .22 mag (and becasue I don't have a .204 currently LOL) I know the .17 is probably better and flatter shooting, but there was just something about the .22 mag that appealed to me. Unfortunately, I haven't had the opportunity yet to test my theory, but I look forward to getting the opportunity later this year.

Shannon

I just bought a new Ruger 96 in 22 mag on Gunbroker. I have wanted one of these for a long time but have held off. My retirement and pention funds have been going the wrong way of late so I've gotten a little more conservative. However when Ruger announced that they were going to cease production of the 96's I got to thinking that now might be the time. I have been pondering it real hard the last few days and then I wandered onto this thread. You guys are the straw the broke the camels back.......... and I thanks ya!

$365 is a pretty good deal on one of these isn't it?

Default any thoughts on remington model 5...

i am gonna pick one up this winter in 22 mag for hunting seals. any info on this model would be appreciated.