Thread: Zodiac Floor Installation

Default Zodiac Floor Installation

Hello all, I recently picked up a used 14 ft Zodiac with 25 horse Evinrude 2 stroke. I'm looking to get out and learn to use her on the local rivers/lakes. My question is, how do you install the floor with the 2 side rails? Is there an easy way to do this or is it something I need to play with and find the best way that works for me? It didn't come with an owners manual, so I am going off of verbal instructions.

The floor seems to fit pretty tight without the side rails. I don't plan on ocean trips, but will use it on a few large lakes. Do I need the side rails installed? Obviously, I want to be safe, but those side rails are a pain in the behind.

I appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks,
    Moose44

Inflate boat about 1/3 then insert boards and sides keeping in mind that fingers are fragile and help w/reeling in fish, then finish inflation. Should do it.

Post results...

Default Another hint

put the front and back plates in first and the middle ones bowed up with the centers touching. now push these two down. Take the two notched one and your going to twist them into place making the floor level type.
    If it's to tight let out a little air, thats abjustable and if it don't loosen up much add some baby powder to help it lub up and slip it, has to be dry area.

When installing the side braces (stringers) try puting a long 2x2 or 4x4 that spans all of the floor boards under the side you are installing. This helps line them all up and gets it off of the ground, this usualy works very well for me. Don't try going on the water without installing these!

Ditto on the 1/3 pressure and 2"x4". Then push the side brackets as far as you can into the corner with your fingers. Slide the flat end of a paddle over the top of the bracket and into the corner of the boat. Push down on the paddle. It works like a pry bar by pulling the boat corner up while pushing the bracket down. It doesn't take much pressure.

Default Floor Install

Ok, I tried the 1/3 inflate and got the floor and the rails mostly in, but the rails kept popping out and over. They wouldn't stay lined up. I didn't have a 2X4 to try, but will tomorrow. The floor I have is 4 pieces. The top piece has rubber rails full length, the second piece has half rails, the third has none, and the fourth has half rails at the bottom. Those pain in the behind side rails fit between the rubber rails on the floor. I assume all of the floor systems for Zodi's are the same?

This may be a dumb question, but when using the 2X4s, do you leave the wood under the floor? Just looking at it, it seems like it would be hard to get out. Should the 2X4 be put into the middle of the floor to hold all pieces off the floor evenly?

I appreciate all the help you've given so far.

Thanks,
    Moose44

2x4 goes under the boat on the ground, not between floor boards and inside of the bottom of the boat helps to raise the boat to gives room to rotate the pieces into place....don't run the boat without them i would think the floor boards would flex too much and could damage the tubes.
    there is a top and bottom to the locking pieces also.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

There is a star like symbol on each of the side rails. I assume that is the "up" side. After I wrote the last and posted, I reread and all I can say is, DUH. Even I should have known that, the wood doesn't go between the floor and boat. Can I plead ignorance instead of dumb@$$ ?

Thanks,
    Moose44

If the boat was sitting rolled up for a while, you might want to try to inflate the boat fully without boards to stretch out and loosen the tubes a bit. Sometimes that will help. Then like everyone else said, have it about 1/3 or so full of air. Put the back board in first, then the one for the bow, and then put the other two boards in with the middle of the floor arched upwards. Make sure the other ends are locked into the back and bow boards, and step on the middle and it should fall into place.

For the stringers you'll have to push them in to place. I haven't tried the 2x4 method, but I bet that would help. Sometimes you don't even have to get them to fit perfectly because when you inflate the rest of the boat the tubes will push them down and finish the job. Hopes this helps. also, make sure the bottom rubber of the boat is not sticking to the tube where they meet. That will make it frustrating and very hard.

Default floor board hints

I've had a mark III for a bunch of years and was told early on to slightly inflate the boat then lay out the floor boards as follows: front, back then tent up the two remaining pieces. Make sure to align the floor board edges by simply tugging the stern of the boat left or right to make the floor edges line up from front to back. Apply your weight and bounce to pop the tented boards down flat. At that point you slide your oar under the boat ( I pick up one side of the boat by the line running down the pontoon and lift a couple inches and slide the oar under). Place the oar about two to three inches inboard of the floor edge. This allows a flex space so that you can roll the rails into place. Having that space makes a huge difference in being able to roll the side rails in. It really helps to have a nice, flat surface to work on, also.
    Good luck,
    D

Default baby powder = no no

The installation manual that Zodiac sent me for my GR MKIII has in bold letters

DO NOT USE TALCOM POWDER - use potato starch

I am thinking that baby powder is talcum powder

Default visual setup for zodiac

hi people, i found this as i'm sort of in the same situation, we've had the boat out a couple of times and my beef is which way up the rails go...

this one is the best
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dDmhwcG408&NR=1

this one is rather cute
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuJPyUZ99KY

enjoy