Thread: Best Life Jacket?

Default Best Life Jacket?

Ok, we're upgrading to a bigger boat, and I'd like to upgrade to a better life jacket.

What do you suggest? Do I need to have a Type I? or will Type II or III work? Pockets? (if so, what do I need to put in them?)

Thanks for the info!

I recently purchased an NRS Big Water Guide type lll pfd. It is a new product designed for whitewater but would be a great jacket for anyone who actually wears thier pfd as opposed to just storing it in the boat. It is very adjustable and comfortable. It also has pile lined hand warmer pockets behind it's cargo pockets and has 22 lbs of floatation (compared to 16 on a normal pfd). It cost $110.

The best life jacket is one that is comfortable enough to wear all the time. I have 3 a float coat, auto inflate and a vest. Depending on weather or what I'm doing decides what I wear. In my float coat I have a small survival bag in case I fall off while I'm boating alone and can make it to shore.

Default stormy seas jacket

Worth considering is a stormy seas jacket. It's just a regular looking jacket that has a CO2 cartridge and inflates in the water. There are several styles available. Since it's generally fairly cool out on Alaskan waters, you'll probably be wearing a coat anyway, so it might as well be this one. Then you have the safety of always wearing floatation without the bulk of a foam style life jacket. I believe it's what most commercial fisherman wear.

The best one is the one that actually gets worn!!! For that reason I too have stormy seas inflatables for my wife and I. It can be argued that they do not perform as well as some others. They used to not even be recconized by the c.g. as a legal pfd. But that fact that we would actually wear them and have SOMETHING ON, beat a better one sitting in the cabin. I have several legal pfd's in the boat, and our stormy seas on our body.

We're kind of ridiculous about it, but when in the boat our Mustang inflatable PFD is ON. When I get into the boat to launch from the trailer and when I park back on the trailer it is on. No one rides with us w/o one and I don't care how calm/mild/tame it is. Although we have never had the "opportunity" to test the Mustangs, they are worn because they are comfortable and they have a good rep.

Default leg straps

I bought a spendy one from AK Fire and Safety. Orange, thick, very adjustable, big buckles, and it has leg straps so it won't ride up and possibly not float your head up high enough. It is as comfy as one can expect from a bulky vest, and has pockets. I am not a fan of the CO2 ones, for two reasons: (1) If you hit your head and get KO'd, who's to pull the chord and inflate it? Or, what if the water cold-shocks you? (2) What if it does not self-inflate? There is the manual over-ride valve, if you have time/sense, etc, to use it. Very comfy deals, but, like an automatic transmission, more things to go wrong. That said, they beat the tar out of a "great one" that is in storage because you don't like to wear it.

Walmart has a very good selection of life preservers, i highly recomend them!
    Semper Fi!