Thread: Adjusting the NECG peep sight?

Default Adjusting the NECG peep sight?

Just purchased a Ruger that has a NECG peep sight mounted on the rear base. Couple of questions:
    a. found the screw for adjusting the elevation but there doesnt appear to be any way to lock this screw into position or am I missing something?
    b. two small allen set screws on the front of the sight on the base. What do these screws lock in? I am thinking they lock in the screws on both sides of the sight that clamp it to the Ruger mounts.
    c. how do you adjust this sight for windage?

Thank you for your help.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Just purchased a Ruger that has a NECG peep sight mounted on the rear base. Couple of questions:
    a. found the screw for adjusting the elevation but there doesnt appear to be any way to lock this screw into position or am I missing something?
    b. two small allen set screws on the front of the sight on the base. What do these screws lock in? I am thinking they lock in the screws on both sides of the sight that clamp it to the Ruger mounts.
    c. how do you adjust this sight for windage?

Thank you for your help.
    Randy,

I have a couple of those but don't presently have a Ruger with one. To lock elevation you must screw the round aperature disc in tight, loosen it when adjusting elevation.

Yes, the little set screws lock the mounting screws. I think the Ruger has but one mounting screw per side.

Windage is usually adjusted by the screws (two on the Ruger model) that clamp it to the base. Screw the two on the left (or one thumb screw on the left) out and the two on the right in to move the sight, and the group, to the right. See how that works.

Do you have both aperatures for this sight? They come with two different sizes.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Wildalaska,
    I guess so, the url you posted just took me to NECG's site.

Murphy, makes sense about the apeture and I did figure that out this morning. Seems like a poor design that windage can be adjusted by loosening and tightening the two screws that hold it to the base as this also moves the entire sight off center from where it should fit on the receiver. Still, once it is sighted in I do not plan on removing it.

I am guessing if you bought one of these as a back up sight it would work ok as long as you kept one mounting screw locked in place and then installed it and only tightened the other screw. Should hold zero well enough for 100 yard shots.

Thanks for the tips. I should get it figured out when my brass and bullets arrive. Rifle is chambered in 9,3x62 with a 20 inch barrel. Should make a quick handling woods rifle for the big critters.
    Tennessee

Got to click on the peep sight link from there