Thread: H322 in the 358win

Default H322 in the 358win

Was wondering what your loads were for H322 and both the 200gr Spire point and 225gr partition or sierra?

I just loaded up some workup loads useing hodgdons data for both the 200gr 41 to 44.8gr max and 225gr bullets 40 to 44gr max. I have all the same componends except I use 210M match primers. Speer seems to have a higher max for both their 220&250gr bullets than hodgdon does the 200gr, so the question. I also loaded up some TAC loads from westerns data with the sierra so I will post my findings when i get to shoot them. I still have AA2495 to try but TAC in the 35rem case burns faster than H4895 so I tried it first. I have a 20.5" barrel as well so I am trying to stay with faster burning powders. Last question westerns ballistision really pushed Xterminator, 2423 and 2460 as very good 358win powders anyone try them or Vita-133 ? TAC was a second choice powder but I had it in hand.

One thing with having a bolt is the 358win isn't loaded to either the cases or the guns max pressure so the edge is not as close if playing at listed max. I do not care to venture into un tested areas without data to back it but I did with western ballstians help for a +P 35rem load which I was asured was 10% less than the 30-30's pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    Was wondering what your loads were for H322 and both the 200gr Spire point and 225gr partition or sierra?

I just loaded up some workup loads useing hodgdons data for both the 200gr 41 to 44.8gr max and 225gr bullets 40 to 44gr max. I have all the same componends except I use 210M match primers. Speer seems to have a higher max for both their 220&250gr bullets than hodgdon does the 200gr, so the question. I also loaded up some TAC loads from westerns data with the sierra so I will post my findings when i get to shoot them. I still have AA2495 to try but TAC in the 35rem case burns faster than H4895 so I tried it first. I have a 20.5" barrel as well so I am trying to stay with faster burning powders. Last question westerns ballistision really pushed Xterminator, 2423 and 2460 as very good 358win powders anyone try them or Vita-133 ? TAC was a second choice powder but I had it in hand.

One thing with having a bolt is the 358win isn't loaded to either the cases or the guns max pressure so the edge is not as close if playing at listed max. I do not care to venture into un tested areas without data to back it but I did with western ballstians help for a +P 35rem load which I was asured was 10% less than the 30-30's pressure.
    I've tried several powders in the 358 Win and keep coming back to H322. The little case just cries for a small granule powder and 322 fills the bill nicely. My rifle is a BLR with 20 inch barrel and 3X Leupold M8 so it is not what you would call a tack driving rifle. I've not toyed with primers and seating depth or fine tuned the loads in anyway. I was looking for a load at sufficient velocity and acceptable accuracy and have been satisfied with H322 in this cartridge. I know a guy that swears by TAC, but his reports show him with very similar performance to me and so I've not tried TAC yet. Nor have I tried the other powders you mentioned. I've used H335, Varget, IMR 3031, IMR 4895, and H322. 4895 showed the most accuracy in my rifle, but I could not match the velocity of H322. H335 was better with the 225s than the 200s, but again I am getting more velocity with H322.

As for particular loads, I am using Winchester cases and R-P 9 1/2 primers for everything. I bought a Lee Factory Crimp die and I am getting better SD numbers since I began using it with the 225 Sierra loads.

200 grain Hornady Spire Point OAL 2.66 and 48.0 grains of H322 with a roll crimp. I consider this a max load in my rifle though I am getting excellent case life and no pressure signs. My chronograph reads 2598 average (three different days) from 30 rounds with an SD of 21 fps. My rifle produces groups right at 1 & 1/2 inches at one hundred yards with this load and it is a deadly deer load.

225 grain Sierra BTSP OAL 2.78 and 45.5 grains of H322 and I use a mild crimp with the Lee crimp die. I consider this a maximum load in my rifle but I have no pressure signs. I've not shot enough of them to know what case life is yet, but after three firings primer pockets are tight and there is no excessive case stretching. My chronograph is reporting 2435 average with an SD of 18 fps. I am uncertain why the crimp die lowered the SD with the Sierra, without the crimp I had a SD of more than 40 fps. I suspect that if I tuned the die a bit there could be a little more gain, but I just don't see it's worth the effort for this rifle. The Sierra's are a little more accurate in this rifle, with group size averaging a little over an inch and a quarter. Of course these loads should be approached with caution, but they have been safe in my rifle and I have shot almost 300 of the 200 grain SP loads in this rifle and around 75 225s. I know the Partition to be a great performer, but at impact velocities under 2400 fps I trust the Sierra, even on game the size of moose--maybe I'll find out for certain this fall.

Let me know how your rifle likes H322 if you don't mind and of course if you stumble across something better I am all ears.

Thumbs up

I use Reloder 15 and IMR 4320 in my BLR 358 with 225gr.......seems the RL 15 works the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Bush Hunter View Post
    I use Reloder 15 and IMR 4320 in my BLR 358 with 225gr.......seems the RL 15 works the best.
    What kind of velocity are you getting with RL 15. I haven't tried it in the 358, I expected it to be a little slow for top velocities.

Thumbs up 358 win BLR

51.0 of IMR 4895 with 225gr......2550 +- in BLR

Thanks I expected I could load more than 44.8grs of H322 with the 200gr Spire point. I will shoot these and see what the velocity is, If its over 2470fps I would be happy unless the data shows the groups are still shrinking with increases in velocity/pressure. I have played with OCL but the 2.660" with falls on the cannelure worked best and I use a light crimp with the LEE FC die. The 200gr bullet is for deer and I realy do not shoot past 200 yards where I hunt more like 15-100 yards.

The 225gr would be my hot load where I would like plus 2400fps say 2430-2460fps just to have some leway for soild 0-300 yards performance with the partitions 1900fps min impact velocity.

The H4895 velocities where spire point 200gr/2488fps with just 46.8grs and 1.5"groups, 225gr partition 2430fps with 46.0grs and 1.5 2" groups.

If I read your post right the lower the standard deveation is the better so I am not suprised the FC crimp help there I have ben questioning if I should crimp the sierra/partition bullets. I might expect to much from the 358win but mine is a 700 bolt with a 20.5" fat #3 match grade barrel and all squared up and bedded. I did shoot two 3 shot clover leaf groups with a light H4895 of 46.0grs with the Honady 200gr and hunting with them. But the same ammo did not reproduce that outstanding group the next spring so the search goes on. Maybe I should have bought IMR4895 instead of aa2495 hope there both very close in perfornace.

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    If I read your post right the lower the standard deveation is the better so I am not suprised the FC crimp help there I have ben questioning if I should crimp the sierra/partition bullets. I might expect to much from the 358win but mine is a 700 bolt with a 20.5" fat #3 match grade barrel and all squared up and bedded. I did shoot two 3 shot clover leaf groups with a light H4895 of 46.0grs with the Honady 200gr and hunting with them. But the same ammo did not reproduce that outstanding group the next spring so the search goes on. Maybe I should have bought IMR4895 instead of aa2495 hope there both very close in perfornace.
    I prefer a lower standard deviation for several reasons and have tried a couple different things to keep the SD as low as possible in my handloads. I've mixed results with crimping and I know some handloaders think it is a detriment to accuracy. I just wanted to report that in my trials with the 358 Win I had found the Lee crimp die helpful. There have been other cartridges that I can't tell any difference. I use a Lee crimp die for my 300 Win Mag and I am unable to measure any real difference in velocity or accuracy, but I feel better in the field if that short neck is crimped on my bullet. At least then I know the bullet will not move till I drop the hammer.

I have effectively reached 2,400 fps. with the 250 grain speer hor-cor. My load consists of a longer COAL, a compressed charge of IMR 4895...dropped with a spiral funnel, and cci mag. rifle primers. This was achieved from a 20in. barrel in a BLR. IMO.....a boatailed bullet isn't necssary in a 358 winchester. Pressure is still of concern.......but hasn't been a safety issue according to my religous inspection of the of the fired cases...or course working up slowly when going +P in the 358. Serious performance can be achieved.....ultimately making the 358 a viable performer against other new cartriges like the 338 fed., and other new contenders of the short action concept.....including the 350 Rem Mag. There isnt a game animal in Alaska within 300 yds. that's going to walk too far away from a 250 grain load like the above mentioned.....PERIOD.