Thread: Can I tow it?

Default Can I tow it?

I'm looking at buying a pull behind. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 4.8 L engine and standard 1/2 ton suspension. My wife found a 30 ft trail lite for sale and I'm just not sure I should tow something that big. Any input on the matter? Thanks ahead of time.

Default Stopping ability

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I'm looking at buying a pull behind. I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the 4.8 L engine and standard 1/2 ton suspension. My wife found a 30 ft trail lite for sale and I'm just not sure I should tow something that big. Any input on the matter? Thanks ahead of time.
    I don't know much about that specific setup, but the biggest factor you want to look at is can you stop it. A lot of people feel that they are fine if they have the power to pull something when the real issue is being able to control it and stop it if/when needed. Light trucks with too little suspension can get pushed around pretty badly by a heavy load.

You will probably get some great advice here. In the meantime, you might want to contact some of the local trailer and 4x4 places in town. Northern 4x4 might be a good place to start. If they don't know, they could probably point you in the right direction.

Sounds a bit big IMO but you could always get the hitch equalizing system to help you control it.
    I've been looking at getting a 20-22 ft V nose trailer to haul our sleds/atvs and to use for camping and I know I won't go any bigger than 22 and much prefer something shorter, like an 18 footer. I would think something along the lines of a 24 footer would be better for your rig to tow safely.

Here's a web site that has helped me in the past.
    There are calculators for TT and 5th wheel down on the bottom of the page.
    Your owners manual should have most, if not all of the specs. asked for in the calculations for the Tow Vehicle but you will have to look up the specs. for the TT on the net if you don't have the paperwork for it.

It does sound a bit big for a half ton but that would depend on how much it weighs.
    If you're buying from a dealer they will almost ALWAYS tell you that you can tow that thing just fine.

My first RV purchase was a TT that was too big for my TV. It was a very unpleasant experience for me and it's very hard on the drive train of the TV.
    I would make sure you have load leveling and sway bar hitch for the thing too.
    I hope this helps.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-tow-vehicle-sizing.shtml

Default Not enough TV

I bought a 30ft TT and figured my 1/2 ton Suburban would be plenty, but I was wrong. The burb was a dog going up hills and it really wore on the tranny and brakes. The trailer would throw the burb around too, even with the weight distribution hitch.

I eneded up getting an Excursion with the 7.3 and what a difference. The tail doesn't wag the dog any longer.

I would not go any larger than 24ft with a 1/2 ton IMO. After years of towing/hauling I will always have more truck than I need.

Doug