Thread: Electronic Headphones

Default Electronic Headphones

I have been considering a pair of electronic headphones for a couple of years now. In the past I was never serious enough to buy a set until I came across the Howard Leight Impact Sports headphones. The reviews were promising and at a price of $55 I decided to add them to my midwayusa shopping cart along with a Redding 10mm taper crimp die.

Monday they arrived in the mail and I was anxious to give them a test run. Being at home, in the Anchorage bowl, I could not blast off a few rounds in the backyard. So the next best option was to give my four year old daughter a rare permission to scream at the top of her lungs. I used to joke that only dogs could hear her scream, and let me tell you this little girl has a set of lungs. This put a smile on her face before she took a deep breathe to begin her banshee wail. The headphones instantly cut out my daughters death cry, I wish I had these headphones when she was younger. lol

I still need to test the headphones out at the range but so far I like the fit, and crisp quality of the speakers. I live a block from Eagle River and cannot hear the water until late at night when the neighborhood settles down. But with the headphones, from my back deck, I can hear the water flowing down river during the heaviest vehicle traffic at peak commute 5-6pm, along with the hundreds of cars passing by.

So far I am very impressed.

They even keep your ears worm to boot, I also love my e-muffs.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've had a couple pair in my shopping cart at one time or another and have decided not to buy. JOAT had a pair that looked impressive when I was shooting with him and it would definitely be nice to have a set. I'm gonna have to look again...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I've had a couple pair in my shopping cart at one time or another and have decided not to buy. JOAT had a pair that looked impressive when I was shooting with him and it would definitely be nice to have a set. I'm gonna have to look again...
    Don't skimp Walter's $55 set from Midway is as cheap as I have heard of for a decent set. I got my first set in the mid 90s from a gun shop with an indoor range in Phoenix and tried them before plunking down $175. I picked up a $30 set a year or so back and the electronics are so tinny sounding that most people that use that set turn them off and use them that way. So just be aware there are good and bad out there, my good ones were made by Ballistic Electronics (a small outfit in Phoenix) but I don’t think they are around anymore. The sound quality is better than my ears are!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I have not tried a Howard Leight Impact Sports headphones. The ones I have tried have a lot of internal noise. The noise sounds like a SSSSSSSing or water. A high quality mic. and amplifier system is noise free and is extremely expensive to make.

I have three sets of the Howard Leights IMpact SPort muffs and cannot say a bad thing about them. They are comfortable, work extremely well and have extremey long battery life.

Had a set drop out of my bag last fall and they spent the winter on the ground. Picked them up in the spring, pulled them on they still worked perfectly.

My family uses them for waterfowl hunting and they are perfect for that.

Best for the money by far.

What is the Noise Reduction Rating on them?

I'd love to get a set of quality muffs, but all the popular ones seem to have a low NRR for the price. The Caldwell E-85 advertises a NRR of about 27dB, but I'm skeptical of their price.
    Now what ?

I have the Peltor Tac muffs (for their waterproofness), and like them a great deal, except for their initial cost.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I have the Peltor Tac muffs (for their waterproofness), and like them a great deal, except for their initial cost.
    I have two of these, and they work very well. I use them for hunting, and also at the range. While riding my ATV, I wear them over my head (on my cap and around my head above the ears). When ready to shoot, I move them down over my ears, and turn them ON. The same if I have to move to another spot nearby to get another shot. In this case, I leave them over my ears, turned ON so I can hear my own noises.