Thread: Chainsaw Mishap - Graphic

Default Chainsaw Mishap - Graphic

Well I put in a new whitewater septic system here on POW and had a bunch of cedars to buck into firewood from the drainfield. Ran my knee into the bar on my second to last cut on a 36 inch yellow. I had done almost 20 trees, must have been tired.

Buying Chaps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Lightbulb Pants

I was wearing them ;-) Got stitched up in Klawock, back in action.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Wow! Someone moves to the Tongass and they think they're a logger.

Good to see you're still smiling. You might want to invest in a pair of kevlar chaps if you keep this up.

Wow dude, that could have been alot worse. Lucky!
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I remember my first year logging I did that... the kevlar pants saved me from injury though. A few years back I was topping a tree, started on one side and worked my way over to the other side while standing on the trunk. All of a sudden the whole thing shifted while I was cutting, thankfully I wasn't cut or impailed by anything. At first I thought it was my fault that I did something wrong....nope....the owner had hooked on to the tree with the skidder and started moving it while I was working on it. He said he didn't see me... so even the most experienced guys make mistakes and my measly 8 years of logging experience ain't nothing really. Get the chaps and keep at it.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Very lucky indeed

the cut is one thing but...that ingrown hair has got to be taken care of...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Quikclot for bleeding

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Looks like you were lucky

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

Dan, I see Cabela's carries Quikclot Blood Clotting Agent also. It is on a side bar from your note. It got real good reviews. Wish I had some of the clotting stuff when I cut my finger bad one year, south of Lake Clark. Gauze and duct tape got me through. Thanks for the tip.

Mark
    I wonder how deep the cut on the leg is???

Mark,

The Quikclot is good stuff. Something everyone should have laying around. At home, the backpack, the glove box, etc..

As for the depth of the injury, looks like 1 cm. Lucky guy.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

You know that is bar far one of the most common saw injuries there is... knees and hands. always keep in mind where that tip is.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default More

The cut was 10 cm and all the way to the knee cap. Doc said slightly over 1 cm (good call Dan!) Apparently you pay by the CM not the stitch which is the only reason I know. It is healing nicely and stitches come out In a week.

To add insult to injury I was cleaning some clients halibut on Monday and sliced my index finger to the bone. 7 more stitches. Haven't had a stitch since elementary.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default Two accidents this week?

Things come in pairs so you should be safe for a while.

Wait...

The saying is, "Things come in threes". Oops!

Be careful man

Default Ounce of Prevention

I never believed I needed to wear a set of chaps even after it took 27 stitches to close a "nick" on the side of shin, but for $70 I bought a set from Madsens because I was going to clear a big alder patch. Thank God, I wadded up the chaps after alder bound my saw and caught my leg just about where your cut. Best 70 bucks I spent.

Default Nasty, but you're lucky

As a side note on chaps, I've always believed in sewing a first aid kit to the waist band of chaps so you're never without it when you do need one. Chaps may be kevlar but they don't make you bullet proof and for a couple of bucks more a first aid kit sewn to them may make a big difference in the bush, specially if you're working alone.

Definitely lucky...about the same thing happened to my dad a few years back. Cut was about like yours, maybe not quite as long and got in to the ER pretty quick to get it cleaned up and stitched. Even then it still ended up getting infected and for a week he had to go to the hospital every twelve hours for IV antibiotics. Had to have the knee drained a few times too...said that hurt more than anything else.

Chaps are indispensible. I didnt think I needed them because I had been cutting since I was 12 (dad ran a firewood service) and had never had an issue. Then one day I was out doing some light stuff clearing a prarie and I knicked my thigh, luckily the saw was only idling and the chain was barely moving (it only ripped my jeans). I have worn my chaps ever since!

Talking

I haven't bought the chaps yet, but the scar on my left thigh reminds me of the need to do so.

Chicks dig scars and tats.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~