Thread: Raspberry Elk

Default Raspberry Elk

I drew this hunt for the first time. Does anyone have experience with this hunt. Talked with Seahawk about drop off in Onion or Driver Bays. Also looked up Raspberry Island remote lodge. Drop off is cheap. Lodge is nice. Around 2600 unguided for the lodge. All included, even transportation from Anch. 5800 guided. The unguided does not seem unreasonable. They'll drop you off every morning with their Cat.
    Drop off does not sound too bad. Just have to find decent water source up top.
    Anything anyone can tell me about their experiences on this hunt. Thanks in advance.

Default questions

First which hunt, bull 1, 2 or cow? Transportation from Anchorage or Kodiak is provided? What is cat? their boat? What is up with a high water source? Is the lodge on the raspberry straight side?

I drew this tag as well. I got the Oct 1-12 permit and will be flying in to onion bay and heading out on foot from there.

Sorry, its the bull hunt. 10/11-10/22. Catamaran yes boat. Yes, lodge on Straits side. Yes transportation from Anch.
    Seems the unguided lodge hunt might not be too bad. Anyone stay at Birch & Tiffanys lodge?

Default Raspberry Island Remote Camps

There are a few posts regarding Birch and Tiffany's lodge from people who used them last year, all positive. They run a first class operation. Food is great and plentiful, camp is clean, they know the island and where the elk are likely to be, and they are all-around nice people. A big plus is being able to hunt a different area everyday until you find the elk. And on Raspberry, finding the elk can be the hardest part of the equation. I would highly recommend them.

Thumbs up Last year on Raspberry!

Me and a buddy drew the Raspberry tags last year. After much research, and finding that hunting out of Onion can be really difficult to find elk, we booked with Raspberry Island Remote Lodge. Probably one of the smartest things I've ever done when it comes to hunting, in hindsight! Birch and Tiffany were excellent. While we were there, they had a guided hunter, a guide and a packer, along with 4 other hunters. We'd sit around in the evening, decide our strategy for the next morning, then let Birch know where we wanted to be dropped off each morning. After a great breakfast each morning, we were on our way. We would just let Birch know when we expected to be back to the beach, and he was always there waiting for us without fail.

We ended up poking an airhole in a elk on the 2nd day, and then it took us nearly two days to pack it down to water. Well worth it, and I will say it was probably one of the most difficult hunts I've done, but very rewarding! For the next couple of days we hiked right up from the lodge looking for deer. I missed one,and we seen several nice bucks, but after packing the elk, we weren't going to be running down any deer!

The other good move we made was we took the ferry over from Homer, so we had a vehicle we could leave in Kodiak, which would save us some big bucks if we had to fly an elk back. Good thing we did! So back in Kodiak, we hopped the next ferry, which runs weekly, out of town.

Book with them, and soon. You won't be sorry!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Wow. 2 days 2 guys. How big was your bull? Next question to myself, is it worth the guided price for a big bull? Dunno. I appreciate everyones input.

Go to B&J's in anchorage and ask those guys. They have hunted it a few times.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AkCubber View Post
    I drew this hunt for the first time. Does anyone have experience with this hunt. Talked with Seahawk about drop off in Onion or Driver Bays. Also looked up Raspberry Island remote lodge. Drop off is cheap. Lodge is nice. Around 2600 unguided for the lodge. All included, even transportation from Anch. 5800 guided. The unguided does not seem unreasonable. They'll drop you off every morning with their Cat.
    Drop off does not sound too bad. Just have to find decent water source up top.
    Anything anyone can tell me about their experiences on this hunt. Thanks in advance.
    If it was me I would not have Birch pick me up in Kodiak on the boat. But fly out and do a fly by on Zipper Valley and Bear Valley to try and locate the elk. Then get a good nights sleep with a couple good meals and a hot tub then have Birch drop you off in the right spot in the morning.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

jkb. Sounds good. Its always nice to do a 'flight seeing' tour before a hunt. We spent an extra hour checking out nice 'rocks' in TMA. Problem with unguided is they will not drop you off alone! That means 2 guys at 2600, almost same as guided hunt! I need to find someone who wants to chase deer and silver foxes. My old man usually goes with me, but its gotten to that time in life when he must stay home and take care of mom.

Two other bits of advice, get in shape before you go to Raspberry. Make sure your partner is willing to spend a day packing out your elk. Nothing worse than looking a 1000 lb downed elk 4 miles from the ocean and your partner starts talking about his bad knee from college.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I'm still tired from this hunt 3 years ago, unsuccessful but it was done on my own with the transportation provided by my father in law on his boat from Anton Larsen Island. Definitely have to be in shape for this one.

Default Bad Knee/Back

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Two other bits of advice, get in shape before you go to Raspberry. Make sure your partner is willing to spend a day packing out your elk. Nothing worse than looking a 1000 lb downed elk 4 miles from the ocean and your partner starts talking about his bad knee from college.
    Hey was that a jab at me .

I did not shoot an elk.
    Unknown author