Thread: What to look for in a lower unit

Default What to look for in a lower unit

I recently bought a new and checked the lower unit fluid on both motors before I bought it. The main is a 150hp Honda and the kicker is a 8hp Honda Power Thrust both 4-strokes. What am I looking for exactly. Neither looks milky at all as I'm use to seeing but they are different. The main is a blue-ish gray, still looks very clean and has a pretty stong odor. The kicker is a yellow color and doesn't have as much of an odor. I don't know for sure what the owner last did so I figured to be safe I would change the fluid and oil in both motors. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

Pull the lower plug first and look for metal on the magnetic screw while you plug the hole with your finger. Then remove the upper screw and drain the lube into a drain pan. If there is water in the lower unit it will come out first.
    Most of the time water in the gear lube will turn it frothy or milky.
    Remember to fill the gear case from the bottom while the top screw is removed. Once the gear lube comes out the top, stop pumping, insert the screw, and then place the magnetic screw back in the bottom hole.
    The difference in color and smell is most likely due to a different gear lube.

Thanks AK rat. I've seen that milky frothy stuff in the lower unit before on my old boat. This was not it. But I was a bit concerned when I saw the difference in the fluid between the main and kicker. Is this important for when I'm changing it? Is there a specific fluid for the main and another for the kicker? Just something new to me.

The kicker oil is probably fairly 'unused' compared to the main. I rarely run mine, except to make sure it works before a long trip.