Thread: Honda 8hp Power Thrust

Default Honda 8hp Power Thrust

I just bought a boat with a Honda 8hp Power Thrust as a kicker motor. Does anyone know if this is similar to the Yamaha high thrusts. I don't know anything about this motor so I wanted to check it out.

Default yes

Yes it is very similar. great little motors. I was looking for a high thrust, but found a regular 9.9 used for a really good price, so I went with that. You will not be disappointed, unless you want speed, they are not built for speed, but will push very big loads well

Great. Thanks for the info. I only plan on using this as a kicker so it should be perfect.

Default Have One

I have one and it's great, had both a Honda 9.9ht & an 8ht (high thrust) and the 8 pushed my 22' Bayliner exactly the same as the 9.9 and weight was a few # lower.

Good to know. I'm still waitin on the weather to get this baby out to really check everything out. Can't wait for it to clear up.

Patrick,

Generally speaking (in all brands), the only significant difference between a regular old motor and a "high thrust" one lies in a different gear set in the lower unit to give it more leverage. It is like the difference of a chevy truck powered by a 350 engine with 410 gears and 373 gears. The one with the 410 gears will have considerably more poop (a highly technical automotive term) then the one with 373 gears. Since you are using it as a kicker, it really doesn't make a ton of difference anyway as niether (high thrust or regular thrust) is going to get your boat on plane and you will be running at displacement speeds. Honda, by the way, makes a very good outboard. You will really like them Let me know when you are going to go out, maybe I will take my boat out with you if it works out. Take it easy and congrats on the new boat.

Tim

TRB,

I just wanted to make sure Honda wasn't putting something on cowling just for a sale. I didn't know that it was actually geared for use as a kicker. Anyway, thanks for the info.

I'm not sure if we are going to get out this weekend or not. I have to leave town Sunday for the field so our only chance is Friday/Saturday. It will be our maiden voyage on our boat so we're pretty excited. Would be good to have a partner boat to show us the ropes so feel free to join us. We are debating between Seward and Whittier. Seward for fishing, Whittier for location and the sites. Any thoughts?