Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: declining hunters "mythbusted"

Exclamation declining hunters "mythbusted"

let's see.... the original info was compiled by the feds after being collected by the census bureau and then refuted by our state dept of fish and game.
    gotta be a conspiracy theory in here some where

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/i...24&issue_id=74
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default agenda driven more likely...

...on the part of some feds.

Thanks for the link. I seem to have missed it earlier.

bhtr

I think both sides could probably do some better research, nationwide though hunting is on the decline and that ain't so good.
    Are you as unimpressed with my signature block as I am with yours?

After the first day or 3 you can't tell deer season's even in around here. And even then the most shooting is heard on opening morning. Low hunter numbers have really impacted our local economy.

Default 300 s&w

living in a state where about 90% of the deer are taken on opening day, you should expect to hear the most shooting then..
    Gary

Of course,Gary(wrong choice of words by me. My point was to be that the amount of shooting on opening morning has steadily declined over the past 30+ yrs.

Default Which is it?

"There are too many hunters in my area" "O woe is me...hunters numbers are falling...we need more."

Truthfully, not many "hunters" are recruiting new hunters. Most hunters are very selfish, myself included. Nobody wants to help a would be hunter or share "secret" sites. We reap what we sow.

Living in a rural area as I do,I can tell you that the desire in many of the young people around here to hunt or participate in outdoor activities just isn't there. I place part of the cause of that on the people who could influence them to do so. MANY of them have for MANY reasons given up hunting. This is from a state that,in many counties,schools are closed for the first week of deer season. You can lead the horse to water,but you can't make it drink.

Default Hunting is all about money now.

When I was growing up in SD, hunting and guns were a way of life. $2 worth of gas and a carload of kids were hunting for the day on a Saturday in October. It's not like that today. No dads around to teach hunting and safety, nobody even wants a gun in the house anymore. Some of my kid's friends parents would come out and ask if I kept guns in the house before they would let their kids come over.

I don't hunt as much myself any more, and I've hunted all over North America. It's a money game and it's a game I just don't play as much any more. Used to be a gentlemanly kinda sport, now it's secrets and high tech. I'd still let a polite kid hunt my farmland and ponds for free. Flashing big shiny surburbans and $100 bills and $5,000 dogs don't mean chit really.

I understand where your coming from. Sometimes when an activity is exploited for money,it's not in the activities best interest. That being said though,it just seems the DESIRE to do outdoor things just isn't there in ALOT of the young people. I had NO ONE to influence me in my to desire to hunt. It was just there. Make any sense? Am I alone in this?

Default I've hunted Alaska several times

and I've had a wonderful time each and every time. I've met great people and have not ever really had a bad experience. Not so say that things always went right, but it was all part of the adventure.

If I was curious about wanting to hunt Alaska for the first time and came on this board looking for encouragement, I'm afraid there's not much to be found. Lots of whining about non residents, and laughing when someone asks an honest question about where to hunt. And then ridicule from others when one of the locals does try to steer them in the right direction.

Doesn't take a lot of searching to see why hunter recruitment is lagging when you look at this board.

We're like a bunch of old ladies at the county fair, we show off our pies but won't share the recipes...lol.

Guess ya kinda gotta pay your dues here as well as most other forums I frequent. You know,new guy,lets test him out. Gotta fight all the guys in the neighborhood when ya move in kinda thing. Of course there's ALWAYS the "anonymity of the internet" factor. I know the hardest thing I had to learn when participating on forums was realizing that not communicating face to face with people makes it VERY EASY to take what they say(type)the wrong way. If they confirm that what they said was meant in a negative way? That's their problem.

BUT as far as the nonresident thing goes,I believe that's the way it is in ALOT of states. I know it is here in WV,BIG time!! A topic all it's own.

As far as the hunter recruitment factor goes. One of the regulars here(D'd SORRY I can't remember who it was!) GAVE a VERY NICE rifle/scope set-up to a newbie hunter awhile back. ALOT have offered info and help to those who have asked. A good bit of banter goes on at forums to though. MOST is harmless.

Oh,I do have a tomato pie recipe to share if your interested. Gotta like your grease though!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

It is not surprising that hunter recruitment is lagging in youth these days..

Hunting requires.

Work

Dedication

commitment

forthought

understanding.....

it is not an instant gratification, that can be received by getting out of bed at 2pm and texting mommy for one....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yep,that'll do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    If I was curious about wanting to hunt Alaska for the first time and came on this board looking for encouragement, I'm afraid there's not much to be found. Lots of whining about non residents, and laughing when someone asks an honest question about where to hunt. And then ridicule from others when one of the locals does try to steer them in the right direction.

Doesn't take a lot of searching to see why hunter recruitment is lagging when you look at this board.
    I'm pretty surprised that this is your overall impression of this place. Yeah, there are some folks that fit the above description perfectly, but I have found that most folks here are very willing to help. No, most of them won't tell you an exact spot to go to for the more "desirable" species, but lots of folks will get new hunters pointed in the right direction. There are constantly updates on where the caribou are at on the Haul Road, when the bears are coming out of their dens, how to properly run a bait station, how to judge legal moose and rams, etc. etc. etc. If you want to hunt black bear and caribou, there are literally hundreds of threads telling exact locations to try.

I have personally been helped on here many times, and I try to help others out in return. A lot of time the direct sharing of spots goes on via PM so as to not invite a thousand of your closest neighbors to a spot, but it goes on nonetheless.

I was out caribou hunting off the Denali Highway about four years ago when I came across a fella heading out on his ATV. I stopped to talk, and after a moment he realized that I was the guy who had helped him with ideas for his 14C sheep hunt. To repay the favor, he told me right where I could find some caribou that were close, but out of sight of the trail we were on. We filled the freezer that day, and I'm sure we both got great satisfaction out of the fact that we helped our fellow hunter.

I also know that lots of guys on here spend time on the phone and over coffee with those new to Alaska. I've done it a few times, but there are some on here that make it a regular thing. Good on 'em for doing so.

Anyhow...there's some bad here, but there is an awful lot of good as well. There's also a lot of good going on with overall hunter recruitment and the introduction of our youth to hunting. Take a look at the new pages in the hunting regs that show the young hunters. Good stuff! Yes, hunting does take work, patience, and other traits that aren't natural to some kids...but if an adult will show the patience to help a kid through the process, I'd be willing to bet that most kids will respond in kind.

If you're a parent who hunts, you owe it to your kids and to our heritage and tradition of hunting to pass it on to your kids. Often this can mean pulling the boob tube or internet cord, taking away the video game, indoctrinating your children about the importance of physical exercise and chores etc. Which means that you, as a parent, may be viewed as the bad guy (at first).

Beyond that, volunteer your time however you can, become a hunting ed instructor, scoutmaster, join an org that supports hunting and fishing and the values you share.

Most won't put up their spots on the forum but once you join in so people get a feel for your ethics there is a LOT of info passed through the PM system. There are many happy hunters and full freezers that can be attributed to knowledge gained here. I know at least one person who harvested and animal almost to the letter of where he was told one would be. Basically he asked the question to the right person and got a veritable treasure map in return.

Uh...would just like to state that if you go to any internet hunting forum looking for exact spots to find game, that may not be a good thing.

Neither is passing on exact spots of game imo, whether it's private message or not.

Wouldn't want people to get the impression that this place provides veritable treasure maps of where game is located if you just find the right person to ask. If I felt that was what this site was about I'd have nothing to do with it. General locations and river drainages are one thing, but exact locations are another. We all lose down the line imo when we pass on exact locations to other hunters. For one, this doesn't help them learn about an area in ways they become better more productive hunters. And for another it sets an example (a bad one imo) that they will in turn pass on to others.

It's one thing to meet hunters in the field and pass on info, quite another to do it on an internet hunting forum.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post

It's one thing to meet hunters in the field and pass on info, quite another to do it on an internet hunting forum.
    Mark, How is this different You wouldn't give a guy who has done tons of gear reviews and spent countless hours on here providing the best info on hunting in AK that he can a clue on where you have seen animals recently? But you would offer this up to some random person in the field? The hunt in question was a cow permit hunt, and one that you have vocally supported in the past. Every one wins in this situation,
    Notice I pointed out that you reap what you sow, if you provide your knowledge and experience to help others they are more inclined to help you down the road. It used to be that we did these things in the gun shop, however modern work schedules and fast paced lives prohibit that to some level. Luck for us we now have a "campfire" or "gun shop" that we can carry with us. Heck there are more than a few who have taken it off to war w/ them! How may I ask is that a bad thing?

I for one hope to see pics in the hunting photos section of the 2 soldiers I pointed in the right direction in the next couple months!

Default true but....

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    Living in a rural area as I do,I can tell you that the desire in many of the young people around here to hunt or participate in outdoor activities just isn't there. I place part of the cause of that on the people who could influence them to do so. MANY of them have for MANY reasons given up hunting. This is from a state that,in many counties,schools are closed for the first week of deer season. You can lead the horse to water,but you can't make it drink.
    I know growing up hunting was a big deal and i participated as much as I could. When I became a teenager I lost interest and girls/partying was more important to me. As I transistioned into adulthood my fond memories and deep passion for hunting resurfaced and now im more into it than ever. I think many young people phase out and then back in as they get older. This was true with me and some of my buddy's I grew up with. Im expecting the same thing from my son when the time comes. We just hafta instill the passion when they are young and be there for them when they are ready to come back to it. The bad thing is it seems to be harder and harder for a young person to get back into it with cost/land/animal density/competition/ect. Cost has soared, Regs have tightened, and quality hunts without a fly out (again cost) have become harder to come by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast