Thread: Giving away Sockeye eggs/ wasilla area

Default Giving away Sockeye eggs/ wasilla area

I have a number of gallon bags on ice from red salmon. If you live in the valley and want some to cure, call me at 715-8363. Don't want them to go to waste. Ken

Default I'll take one...

Ken,
    I'll take a gallon bag off your hands, if you have them out in the valley.
    You have my number in your PM's.
    BK

I would really like one of your bags of eggs if you still have any. I left my name and # on your answering machine.

Thanks,
    Chad

Good on you for doing this, Ken. It kills me to see 95% of the people dipnetting just feeding their eggs to the gulls. I'd at least prefer them to go in the water where fish can eat them, but I save them all for silver and king fishing. Very generous offer!

Thumbs up Not generous but do what we have to do!!!

I hate to see waste. No matter what the resource. If I can't use them, maybe someone else will. That is why I am on the Mat-Su AC and the South Central Alaska dipnetters association. Just because I do really care. Hope this inspires others. God bless, Ken SCADA 715-8363

Here's a thought...

Instead of disposing of them in tidewater where only the seagulls and flounder benefit, why don't some of you consider packing them for the ride home and taking a roadside rest stop on the way back and dumping them into the middle or upper Kenai or one of the tribs crossed by the highway.

Putting them back in the river in this manner is NOT a waste. Lots of juvenile salmon and resident trout will appreciate the gesture!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Right on, eye Doc!!!

That is always a plus. Thanks for the good idea. Maybe I'll do that too, next week. I just hate seeing waste. I was ready to dump my Kenai Carcesses of sockeye in the little sue. The brown bears would probably appreciate it this year. I haul them off from the Kenai but hate to take them to the dump. So I look for ways to make them useful to our wildlife. Hope others start thinking the same. Ken

please can i have it all? do you have any left???

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Here's a thought...

Instead of disposing of them in tidewater where only the seagulls and flounder benefit, why don't some of you consider packing them for the ride home and taking a roadside rest stop on the way back and dumping them into the middle or upper Kenai or one of the tribs crossed by the highway.

Putting them back in the river in this manner is NOT a waste. Lots of juvenile salmon and resident trout will appreciate the gesture!
    Yeah, a buddy of mine shook some silver eggs into the Russian after cleaning the fish last year, and there was one guy who was fishing below the table. He was and not catching a single thing, and once he started shaking those eggs into the water, the guy proceeded to catch 6 bows in 6 casts and it had to be because of those eggs. Thats almost like cheating...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Yeah, a buddy of mine shook some silver eggs into the Russian after cleaning the fish last year, and there was one guy who was fishing below the table. He was and not catching a single thing, and once he started shaking those eggs into the water, the guy proceeded to catch 6 bows in 6 casts and it had to be because of those eggs. Thats almost like cheating...

Fish On!
    Chumming works great.
    Back in the Great Lakes we would chum when fishing in the harbors for trout and salmon. Chumming with salmon eggs works phenominal for whitefish too. In the spring we would set anchors of the bow and stern (to keep the boat stationary) and using a chum can, set some eggs on the bottom in 7 to 15 FOW. Next we would send down a single egg on a #12 or #14 hook behind a 1/4 oz egg sinker on 4# test on a little ultra light rig and slay big Georgian Bay whities all day long. And as a bonus would also catch steelhead, lakers, splake and jack chinooks!!

And before all you purist fly fishers flame me , if you have ever shuffled your feet while wading to stir up some bugs and get the trout feeding there is no difference.

Drifter,
    You got that right. As an avid fly fisher I do not delude my self that the flies I tie and use are imitating BAIT! Thats right I screamed it.

I love to fish and prefer to fly cast but it's all about fishing.

George

Even some of the big time lodges in Bristol Bay (some of them...not the majority) are not above puttin a "few" eggs above a run if things are dead slow....And I must admit....the effect is nearly instantaneous. And the tactic of the guide holding the boat in some rivers out here while shuffling their feet is always a treat to watch....but hard to deny the effectiveness

drop a handfull down your ice fishing hole and see what happens.