Thread: Homer Lings

Default Homer Lings

Anyone point me in the right direction? Not looking for exact coordinates. I'd like to start targeting them but never have. I've caught a few incidental inside the bay but were very small. Been fishing out of homer for 15 years for halibut, rockfish and salmon but never ventured out for lings. Any help would be much appreciated.

Default get out your chart...

the one with chugach island on it, now look a bit out, and a little south... spot the hourglass shaped mount with two "11's" in it (known as the double 11's <grin>). you are in the ling zone... lots of pinnacles in that general area, now you are set to prospect your own secret spot.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up

AKBroncoII,

Homerdave is spot on. I will add that you can pick up Lings off most of the islands in that area. Structure is the key (rockpiles, pinacles, etc.).

Find structure, get some lead head jigs and some spinnows and you will be in the thick of it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks guys, I only use jigs anyways for halibut anyways so I have tons of them on the boat with many different colors. Hoping to head down this weekend. Just hoping the lings aren't too far out for my little boat. Thanks again.

HEY DAVE WHATS THAT SECRET SPOT AGAIN
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I was in Homer for 10 fishing days and the weather was pretty much crappy the whole time we were there. Didn't get to go down and try for lings down there but we got lucky and caught a 44" Ling about 7 miles out from Flat Island. Luck of the draw I guess.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.