Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spot

Default Spot

figured I'd share this (originally from a post elsewhere on the site) even though I hear a lot of people happy with their SPOT I wanted to send out my two bits on this device;

I just got a SPOT and formerly had a worried wife, now she watches my movements (spend the money on the optional tracking feature) via the spot as we move. I send in "OK" messages before I camp for the night and when I get up in the AM.

I'll be glad to share a website after this weekend (and a trip to Valdez) due to having sheep scouting trip on the latest shared site, I'll post a link for a limited time when I get back (not fishing any secret hidey holes).

Biggest reason I got one; the spot is actually cheaper now than what I had been spending every year on sat phones, my plan runs $157ish a year for basic service, tracking, and rescue insurance (they are selling the SPOT at most locations with a 100% mail in rebate).

B

Good report, B. I actually just bought my SPOT today. I haven't activated it yet, but we wanted to get it early enough that we can test it out before hunting season (and before the 100% refund offer expires). Seems like a great product, and very reasonably priced for the peace of mind it provides to those back home.

Thanks for the heads up on the rebate! Thats a great deal, how can you go wrong?

I've been using my spot for the last couple months out in PWS, it's a great product for fun and safety. I have the tracking feature and share my travels with friends and family, also I use the check in feature to let a couple of others know all is good with my float plan.
    I would recomend it for anyone who spends time in the outdoors.
    Dave

Thumbs up Spot on!

Funny. I just contacted them today as I think they would make a great sponsor for the TV show. Of course, our sheep hunt will still be a location X episode
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I've been using mine all summer in Homer, Seward and PWS. Got it last Dec and just got my $50 rebate yesterday. You have to keep calling them and stay on top of them, they know some people will not pursue it. But it works good

Default +1

I broke down and got one as well. I think that for the price it's worth a try. Heck the rescue insureance is only 8 bucks for 100,000 of coverage. I think that alone sets off the cost. I'm going to be 45min to and hour north of Dillingham for moose so we'll see how it works and I'll report it for everyone. I seems like we have alot of new users this year. It might be interesting for a sticky on the gear section for a while on this years preformace. What do you think Mike?

Used mine on a snowmachine trip with Alaska_Lanche and Brian M and it worked great! Even had a bunch 'o dots REALLY close together where we were....well...in some very deep snow...

Two weeks ago, my wife and their group of ladies took mine on their Chilkoot Trail hike. It was great to sit down with the kids each night and see how far they have gone and where they were camped. Great product.

Thumbs up

SPOT is a great tracking device with Iridium! I'd suggest it for anyone!
    I used it when I was training for Mt. Marathon and posted it on Facebook and everyone had the opportunity to see how lost I got on the mountain the first day. That's what I get for climbing in dense bay fog.

The second day, I didn't have bear spray and there was a bear a couple of feet from me. I almost clicked my 'help' button just to find out that the one person that was assigned was training her their canoe race.

They are currently on their canoe race going through Canada and ready to re-enter into the US using the SPOT device that I borrowed a month ago from them for Mt. Marathon.

Here they are:
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...f0hTWFA2eZkT5Q

They are paddling by canoe 1000 miles of the Yukon River for a race in the www.yukon1000.com.

All in all, you have my both thumbs up for SPOT.

One thing, though, is that you have to be sure that it's on TOP of your pack so that it's able to track the GPS. If it's inside of your pack, you might as well be lost because it may not be able to send the signal.
    Lurker.

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    SPOT is a great tracking device with Iridium!
    SPOT does not use Iridium, it uses the GlobalStar network of shaky old satellites that are barely hanging in orbit.

I certainly like the "idea" of spot. I would LOVE to see a satellite text messenger in a similar sized package but using the Iridium network. The SPOT gives literally 0 feedback as to if it has successfully sent a signal, so you could be sitting in an area thinking that rescue is on it's way getting weaker and colder when you would have pushed yourself to continue on w/ a sat phone untill you KNEW help was on the way. That said to me it falls into the catagory of a side arm while fishing, even if it is a 9mm in a bear attack it beats throwing rocks. In this case for the price if you are hurt or lost it beats sending up smoke signals

I've had mine for almost a year now and like it quite a bit, particularly the tracking feature which I initially didn't consider all that useful.

As others have pointed out- its not without faults and I don't consider it a bulletproof lifeline (nor is anything else). Rather, it's just one more tool in the box to make sure I get home.

For the cost and usability I think its great considering an Iridium phone or ACR come with either a much higher price or more limited features. In my book it's not really intended to replace either of those devices though and fits well within its niche.

Wife likes getting the "I'm OK" signal at the end of each day and that peace of mind is worth the purchase price itself.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Used mine on a snowmachine trip with Alaska_Lanche and Brian M and it worked great! Even had a bunch 'o dots REALLY close together where we were....well...in some very deep snow...
    Can I add questionable route-finding to the reasons why those tracking dots were stacked so close together?

with my sat phone i can send emails for free, only downside is it dont' show you where i am.
    i see that as about the only advantage to the SPOT.
    one client had one, made his message say "nailed a bear" and he sent it out when he shot his bears...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Dumb question, but where does the "I'm Okay" signal get sent?

Is it via email or a ring on the cell phone or something?

I'm considering getting one but we dont have internet at home so that would be of limited usefulness. The HELP function would still be a little piece of mind...

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    with my sat phone i can send emails for free, only downside is it dont' show you where i am.
    i see that as about the only advantage to the SPOT.
    one client had one, made his message say "nailed a bear" and he sent it out when he shot his bears...
    Cost is another obvious advantage. I can't yet justify the coin it costs for a sat phone and service, but the spot was doable for me.

As for the OK messages, my wife and I are figuring out a system. Right now my OK message says that I'm OK, and if I send this twice within 10 minutes then I have killed something. I do wish they had two different message buttons, though.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Dumb question, but where does the "I'm Okay" signal get sent?

Is it via email or a ring on the cell phone or something?
    It can be sent to as many e-mail addresses or cell phones as you choose to put on the list. For cell phones it sends a text message.

Cool, thanks Brian.

ya cost is a player for sure...i keep thinking about all this from my business perspective. if they'd go iridium or some sort of signal so you know your message got thru i might climb on board with one
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    SPOT does not use Iridium, it uses the GlobalStar network of shaky old satellites that are barely hanging in orbit.
    Sorry. I am communicating with cristancanoe via her Sat phone to let her know her location in her race. My error.
    Lurker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast