Thread: 44 mag bullet choice

Question 44 mag bullet choice

Im going to do some max loads for my 44 mag and wondering what bullet to use. I was going to buy some buffalo bore 300 grainers or the +p 370 grainers but I got dies so I want load my own. I woulda went with barnes but I dont think they even make 240 grain bullet. Im looking for penetration here. Whats a good bullet in th 270 to 300 grain zone? Or if anyone has a load they want to share that would be cool. My gun is a 1977 "new model ruger super blackhawk" with the 7.5 inch tube. The 300 grain or the 370 +P grain buffallo bore looks like the way to go though.
    And please dont turn this into a wich gun is better discussion!
    Last edited by Magnum Man; 07-21-2009 at 15:30. Reason: info

I load a 300gr "Cast Preformance" WFN hardcast, max load H110. pump them outa a 5" redhawk

13" penetration into seasoned (very hard)birch log, It lost the gas check, otherwise it looked like I could reload it.

If you are in FAI Frontier Outfitters carries the bullets.

Scott
    He who tries to tread on me
    will find himself in misery
    and this I promise faithfully
    upon my fathers name

Hard cast are all the rage these days, and I've shot and liked my share of them. Without tossing any sand on them, I'm also really happy with the Speer 300 grain jacketed. I've taken quite a few deer plus one elk and one moose with it from a 7.5" Redhawk, and can find absolutely nothing to criticize in performance. I've never recovered one from game and never had to do even a little tracking after the shot. From what I can tell I got a little expansion on the moose at 20 yards, but not on the elk at 50. And I had none on deer at any range that I can tell. Just a nice fallback bullet if you can't find the hardcast you want or can't get them to shoot for some reason.

With the heavyweight bullets you can get a bit more velocity at safe pressures than you can with jacketed. Of course, if you're getting the penetration and accuracy you need from the jacketed bullet, then you can't argue with that.

I may be wrong, but I think that 370 grain bullet may not work in a Super Blackhawk--I think it's intended for Redhawks and Super Redhawks. They have a slightly longer cylinder than the Blackhawks.

Cast Performance is very good. I think they have both 300 and 320 WFN bullets. Oregon Trail also has some 310s that I've used with good results.

If you're in Anchorage you might make a point to go to the gun show Aug. 1 & 2 at the Sullivan. There are now two guys who sell their own cast bullets, and I've seen both of them at the last several gun shows I've been to. The one guy I've bought from in the past is Arnie (don't remember his last name). He casts beautiful quality bullets. I don't know anything about the other guy but I've heard good things about him, and his bullets looked really good.

Good luck,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man View Post
    Im going to do some max loads for my 44 mag and wondering what bullet to use. I was going to buy some buffalo bore 300 grainers or the +p 370 grainers but I got dies so I want load my own. I woulda went with barnes but I dont think they even make 240 grain bullet. Im looking for penetration here. Whats a good bullet in th 270 to 300 grain zone? Or if anyone has a load they want to share that would be cool. My gun is a 1977 "new model ruger super blackhawk" with the 7.5 inch tube. The 300 grain or the 370 +P grain buffallo bore looks like the way to go though.
    And please dont turn this into a wich gun is better discussion!
    I found Beartooth bullets has some choices in that range for cast bullets. I ordered some last week and have not gotten them yet. They have some of the sizes your looking for to at least get an idea of whats out there. Here is the link. http://www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm