Thread: Clam digging for non-residents?

Default Clam digging for non-residents?

My wife's parents are in town this week and we were going to take them clam digging this next weekend. However, I've had two different people tell me they thought clam digging is for non-residents only - one of them even thought I might need a harvest card to do it myself.

I went through the southcentral regs today and can't find anything that says it is only open to residents. It is for "personal use" fisheries, which it mentions includes shellfish, but I didn't see where those locations were. From what I can tell, anyone with a fishing license can take 60 razor clams per day, including non-residents. This will be in Ninilchik/Clam Gulch area.

Is there something I am missing? I've only been clamming once before and no non-residents were involved.

Thanks in advance.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Quote Originally Posted by jmg View Post
    My wife's parents are in town this week and we were going to take them clam digging this next weekend. However, I've had two different people tell me they thought clam digging is for non-residents only - one of them even thought I might need a harvest card to do it myself.

I went through the southcentral regs today and can't find anything that says it is only open to residents. It is for "personal use" fisheries, which it mentions includes shellfish, but I didn't see where those locations were. From what I can tell, anyone with a fishing license can take 60 razor clams per day, including non-residents. This will be in Ninilchik/Clam Gulch area.

Is there something I am missing? I've only been clamming once before and no non-residents were involved.

Thanks in advance.
    here is a link to the regs.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...ishellfish.pdf
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

the only thing I know is that you have to have a sport fishing Lis. Other than that it does not matter resi or not. give AF&G a call and they will tell you straight up what the rules are. I have never heard of a non res or res only razor clam harvest
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Non-residents can dig clams. I've taken my in-laws to do it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post

Thanks guys. Those were the pages of the regs book I was looking at. I was afraid there was something else out there I was missing. Appreciate it.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.