Thread: Heading out for two weeks

Default Heading out for two weeks

Hi

I am new to the site, been doing some looking last few weeks though.

I will be in Anchor Point / Homer then to Seward for two weeks for my Honeymoon. Sept 7-22 I plan on slipping out for some fishing when i can.

I plan to fly fish the Anchor river for whatever bites. And do a Halibut trip. Thinking of going on Captan b's charters i think.

I would love to catch some trout when i am up. Not that intrested in salmon unless they are fresh. Maybe some silvers i guess might be running that late right?

Any help or suggestions would be good.

What type of flies should i tie to go? I have the stuff for flesh flies, buggers, egg patterns and so on.

Is the fishing near homer any good from shore? Cod or something rockfish?

Should i even bring a spinning rod at all for this ?

I am not familiar with the area enough to give you any solid advice, but one thing I know for sure is there is a book you must buy. It is Scott Haugen's "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska". There are over 100 maps and clear directions to places to fish. This is not the book that teaches how to fish, it tells you where to fish. There is of course a whole section on the Kenai. Anchor, Deep Creek, Ninilchik, Kenai, Kasilof, etc.. the list goes on and on. Get that book on the forum store in the fishing section or on Amazon of course. Just a great book and it will give you tons of info. One thing I can say, your trip timing is perfect for rainbows on the Kenai. Perhaps contact the guides at Alaska Troutfitters in Cooper Landing. They have a great website. Also, check out Gwins Lodge website for lots of info. Anchor could have some steelhead in it during your trip timing. Maybe silvers, not sure. Read up and you will be well rewarded come Sept. I am sure others with more insight in the area will chime in, but I could not help but to suggest this book.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

wow not much help here it seems

I take it you didn't buy the book

Well be sure not to buy this one either...

Troy Letherman's "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska"

Also sold on the forum store in the fishing section. These two books would give you tons of info. But if I were you, I wouldn't buy them.

I am just joking man. I will be on the Kenai myself Sept 15-24. Great time to be there. Shoot me a PM with any specific questions. Happy to tell you what little I know.

Rainbows/dollies on the Upper Kenai. Silvers in the Middle Kenai. Steelhead in the Anchor.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The upper Kenai from Copper landing to skilak Lake will be hot for bows and Dollys while you are there. Egg patterns will be primary. If you haven't fished Alaska for trout, they use almost exclusively hard bead eggs (I am accustomed to using soft yarn eggs here on the White river in MO and AR) and the hook position is important according to regulations as well. There are hundreds of shades of bead and then even a few shades of fingernail polish used to spruce them up a bit, so I'd wait until you get there and look to some locals for suggestions on the specific egg for the specific stream or river, which will be based on the spawning conditions of the salmon at the time. There is another post in the flyfishing forum regarding fishing beads that leads to a good article that will offer you a solid background as well.

As late as you are going, flesh patterns will also be productive and just about any pinkish, greyish ball of yarn on a hook will do. The Anchor river is known for it's dolly population and we have had success there in years past during the last week of August and first week of Sept. Nice fish (avg. 3-4 lbs.) and plenty of them. From just up from the mouth to as far as you can walk.

Also, here is a link to the AK fisheries dept. website and their report for the area you are going to. It's pretty general, but as your trip gets closer, it should have info on the salmon run stages in the different creeks an rivers, which of course influence the trout fishing. We will be fishing the Kenai the first week in Sept and will post reportsts here as well.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Fishi...ail/area_key/8

Thanks guys. Not sure how much i will fish the Kenai. Maybe a bit last day or two. But i will be staying in Anchor Point. But i did book at float plane trip across the bay..pumped for that. I think we fly out of homer and will target trout.

I fish with beads on east coast streams sometimes for steelies. It is a easy method for me to master. I made up a bag of 300 8mm in many colors. I will buy some to support local shops as well.

fIsH On !

Default KGB

Booked a trip with KGB out of Homer for a fly out trout trip to nanewalek. Cant wait. Anybody do this trip before or fish that area?