Thread: Attention Cottonwood Creek hunters

Default Attention Cottonwood Creek hunters

I drove by cottonwood creek today just to check things out, and it looks like they have closed it to atv's. There was a huge ring around the parking lot that will prevent ATV riding out there. I'm not sure if they just do that for the fishing season or if it is going to be permanent. I sure hope not.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

That would be a long hike.....

Speaking as somebody who doesnt have a wheeler...It IS a long hike!!

Unless they plan on removing some of those **** boulders they put in,looks like its hiking in. I haven't hunted Cottonwood before, so I was gonna check it out this season. How far into the flats do you need to go?

I hunt it on foot quite a bit. I get frustrated down there a lot seeing guys with wheelers pleasure riding off the ATV path.
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

I was told they will remove them before duck season starts. Hopefully the word I got was right.

Default As I understand it

You can thank. The Friends Of The Plamer Hay Flats org. I understand they are also the ones that put the gate in. I wouldn't bet on the rocks being gone. You don't really need to go that far out to shoot a limit of ducks. But with all the people that hunt it, it's going to get ugly fast. If your really looking to use an atv out there, you had better get talking to fish and game and soon. And then I still wouldn't bet on it

I really hope they move them, I hunt a ways out there. If they do leave them there, it's very dissappointing that they just did that and didn't notify anybody. I have a friend from Oregon coming up to hunt ducks, and was counting on getting out there to the hole I hunt out there.

From what I was told fish and game knew all about it.
    If you hunt and/or fish. The friends of the Palmer Hay Flats aren't your friends. They may say that they're making things better, but what their doing is making things harder, so we'll all go away. I guess the next thing is they will take down the bridge.

Everything that the Alaskans for the Palmer Hay Flats has done has been with the support of the State and the Feds. The AKPHFers have put together grants and secured other funding to improve access for users to various parts of the Hay Flats. They have accomplished the maintence of the road and parking areas, repaired the vandalized viewing area and bridge.

According to their news letter they are working on a study to figure out how improve the ATV trail so that it can be used all the time. As noted above riders head out off the trail rather than stay on it. Riders go around water flooded spots so that their tires don't get wet and other such nonsense.

How many of you users of the Cottonwood creek access point have provided comments, funding, or volunteered your time or materials to deal with the various problems with the road, junk cars, trash, and vandalism that occurs at that area?

I don't use the area so I don't get involved with what is going on out there. However, when I see people that do use the area but are not involved with its management and piss and moan about what management is occuring it sets me off a little.

In case you have not realized it yet the State and Federal governments don't actually give a hoot about the refuge systems. Little to no funding to make repairs and maintain what already exists, so there is no funding to make improvements. Which is seriously funny because private groups can obtain federal and state grants to perform improvements to public lands as long as the state or federal managers are part of the planning process.

Public lands are managed through the democracy. If you sit on your couch whining you are not part of the democracy.

If you are not working on the solution you are the problem.

disclaimer: I am not a member of the AKPHF, nor to I support their greeny birdwatching mentallity.

Default afoot

I hunted it on foot last year twice. It wasn't that big of a deal. I guess that if you are fat and lazy then it might be hard on ya. I am just fat. Will be good to get out there and not have so many people to compete with - but it will make for less birds flying probably.

I am willing to donate time and money to improve that quad trail. I have been thinking about a way to do so, and the solution I came up with is to lay geo mats down on the muddy parts. I am just not sure how much it will cost to do so. For the most part the trail is not too bad. It's just a few areas that you get stuck in. I wonder if DU would help fund a project to improve the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    I am willing to donate time and money to improve that quad trail. I have been thinking about a way to do so, and the solution I came up with is to lay geo mats down on the muddy parts. I am just not sure how much it will cost to do so. For the most part the trail is not too bad. It's just a few areas that you get stuck in. I wonder if DU would help fund a project to improve the trail.
    This trail was a test trail for geogrid in AK . They needed to do more sections than the test sections. People do not know that it is there because of the gravel cap and the water covering it.

DU will not help fund people/hunter access. It is one of their sticking points with many hunters. That and selling reclaimed land paid for with hunter's dollars to "conservation" organizations like the Nature Conservancy who don't typically allow hunting.

The DOT has grant programs for trail improvements and if I read the AKPHFer's site correctly they will be studying these types of improvements to that trail.

Default My bad

I did a little more looking and found the dead man (Hiding) to the left side as you pull up to the rocks. So maybe it will be open. Don't know why they would put it out of view. Now instead of driving though the mud to get to the bridge. There is fresh vegetation to drive over. Well for a short time anyway. Still trying to understand why they put all the rocks up in the first place
    Unless the Hay Flats gang is planing to build a board walk out to the slough, I don't think there is much they can do to improve the trail, sort of fill. Seeing that the tide is what keeps the area flooded. Maybe they can get a grant to fill in a wetland, Then everyone could use it.

I knew somebody who used to live right down the road from there, and he said they will block it off every year until about 1 week prior to duck season to keep joy riders out of there. I will be able to keep a watch on it soon. I am moving to about 2 miles from there. I can't wait to live right down the road from my favorite duck hunting area.

The gate on the bridge opens with moose season. I can't speak for the deadman in the trees left side of the parking area. If the hay flat gang is doing some kind a of study on the trail, (I'd like to see the data) They may be able to use that to keep it closed. Call F&G on it if you really what to know. Good luck, hope it opens for you guys.

Regardless on what happens this fall, the corridor will be used. Those rocks will only be a temporary problem or until a new access can be blazed to the corridor.

Default Here is the scoop on the boulders

After volunteering to help lay down geo blocks today, I found out what the deal with the boulders is. They put them down due to erosion. Apparently the creek is moving towards the parking lot in the area they blcoked off. The plan is to lay the geo blocks to keep the atv's on the trail and try to let vegitation to grow where the former parking area is to slow the erosion process. They are also planning to do a little work to the bridge so you don't tear your atv's up. Eventually they plan to take the bridge out and build a new one at the parking area. The bridge that is in place now is falliing appart. The dead man in the trees will be the place to access the atv trail. It should open next weekend. They would like to lay geo blocks all the way down the trail, but the fish and game guy said it would cost about $100,000 per mile if they paid a contractor. So they are going to have to lay the trail down with volunteer work.