Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which shallow water boat should i buy...

Question Which shallow water boat should i buy...

Needs are: over 20', 200 to 250 hp inboard with the one 3or4 day trip a year to catch "butt" on calm water,HEATER for ma ma, walk thur wind sheild, a MOTOR cover u can walk around 3sides/ place fuel drums for that long range moose hunt, NO built in box seats,just 2 ped seat with springs, (been in a 20' monark wide flat bottom w/ high sides, 90hp for years it been every where from carting 4 55gal drums of fuel and 2 weeks of hunting gear to Around the conner of enlish bay out of Hommer for some butt,time to "move up" i'm getting gray fast....
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

what's your budget? New or used?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default new or a LOW hour used

new <39950.00 I KNOW of a "gotten new" extreme shallow at <30000.00 2 years ago.. will'in to wait for the right price...
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

SJX would be my first choice with that list of uses.

I give a second on the SJ-X and say go to Fairbanks and test one out or visit there site and see for yourself what they can do. Although me personally would not take it out of Homer, but that is me for I don't like big water anyhow.
    Best advice I an give is to get the one that fits your needs and pocket and not worry about what others think you might need for there lots of nice boats to choose from. Good luck to you

i would look at the Extreme .......i have had 4 Extreme's and love all of them....

check outlaw marine in Red Deer, Alberta or riddle marine in ID
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

There's a hell of a deal on a thunderjet right now on craigslist. 25K for a 23ft Maxin with hard top. They seem like pretty nice boats and probably handle the salt a little better than an SJ. Here's the link http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1282257436.html. Of course this boat could have a bunch of hours on it so who knows, but its worth a look.

i'd go with the extreme or a wooldridge classic or similar model.

Default x2 wooldridge

I have a wooldridge. and would get another in a heart beat. The wife loves this boat too. I haven't put in the suspension seats yet, but that upgrade is on the short list.

Don't forget the SeaArk Predator. Can go shallow and is built like a tank.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

If I were in your shoes, go wooly or sjx. Be careful with the extreme. I have a good buddy that got a brand new one this spring and has 12 hours on it and cant get rid of it fast enough. He is extremely dissapointed with the overall performance, craftmanship, etc. Ultimatly...It is all preference on what you specifically want. Test drive them all. All the dealers will take you out in them. All are a little bit different.
    "One Last Cast"

Quote Originally Posted by fk 107 View Post
    Be careful with the extreme. I have a good buddy that got a brand new one this spring and has 12 hours on it and cant get rid of it fast enough. He is extremely dissapointed with the overall performance, craftmanship, etc.
    please explain if you can...I am curious what he didn't like...I've had the pleasure of riding in many SJ's and have found the performance (handling) is most precise in the XS....Craftsmanship? none of them are 'show' boats...craftsmanship should be judged by how well they hold together and the edge goes to the XS (in the price range stated) as of this year (I haven't had the pleasure of checking out the SjX yet...you hearing me skybust?... )

12 hours since spring? what kind of running did he do? how much boating has he done to compare?

basically, they are all very similar and will go the same places with the same driver...the differences are subtle and won't even be noticed by most, especially if they haven't driven a few of them and at least one of them for a while...you can't talk smack about any one of the SJ's without flipping some stink on all of 'em...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    please explain if you can...I am curious what he didn't like...I've had the pleasure of riding in many SJ's and have found the performance (handling) is most precise in the XS....Craftsmanship? none of them are 'show' boats...craftsmanship should be judged by how well they hold together and the edge goes to the XS (in the price range stated) as of this year (I haven't had the pleasure of checking out the SjX yet...you hearing me skybust?... )

12 hours since spring? what kind of running did he do? how much boating has he done to compare?

basically, they are all very similar and will go the same places with the same driver...the differences are subtle and won't even be noticed by most, especially if they haven't driven a few of them and at least one of them for a while...you can't talk smack about any one of the SJ's without flipping some stink on all of 'em...
    ATVALASKA,

Drive each boat before making a decision...drive it three times...the dealers will have no problem with taking you out a few times to make the sale. Each person has a different driving style and "fit and finish" criteria...

Well put, TJM...well put, nice job.

go with an outlaw or riddle marine or even an extreme shallow, i have a sea ark preadtor and love it. the SJX's are outragously priced for a hull that is built in china. if your not on a budget Riddle marine's cargo jet is awsome.

I have a 2002 Weldcraft Renegade with a 4.3L V6 (155 hrs.)that im getting rid of.
    We are changing to a Hewescraft Ocean Pro.

We bought the SJ-X last fall and now have over 70 hours this summer with it. I'm very impressed with it and thankful it was our choice and it does do everything the dealer says it will do.

There are lots of great simular boats out there with pros and cons of each that only you can decide. They are all great boats and it took us a year plus to be able to test run the ones we could and decide what best suited our family. Actually one of the more dificult parts of boat shoping was this forum for reading others thoughts were confusing and controdicking (SP), but once we bought what we liked setting all others opinions aside the SJ-X was a easy choice for us.
    We bought what fitted our needs for the family / use. The hard part is that they are all simular in design, costly and the sticker is hard to obsorb, but they all do perfrom well and what ever one you do end up with you will not be reading this forum, but out boating.

Good luck, enjoy and should you wish for more information on the SJ-X feel free to PM me.

Default Honestly

If I were to buy one "all around" boat for Alaska it would be the extreme shallow. Jump on me now as I own a sport jon (it works best for what I do), but for an all around boat that would be the best of all worlds, it would be the xs. There is no way their craftsmanship is questionable. It is built about as good as you can.

Those of you that have the XS, in regards to handling and maneiverability, how much of that will be affected stepping to the new 24 ft XS. I'm all about cargo and space. Next year it will be the wife, 2 kids and the dogs. I'd like to be able to stuff a 4wheeler in the bow, in the 21ft flavor can only do that with the riddle cargo jet, or phantom SJ.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Those of you that have the XS, in regards to handling and maneiverability, how much of that will be affected stepping to the new 24 ft XS. I'm all about cargo and space. Next year it will be the wife, 2 kids and the dogs. I'd like to be able to stuff a 4wheeler in the bow, in the 21ft flavor can only do that with the riddle cargo jet, or phantom SJ.
    you can get a wheeler into an XS no problem....
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast