Thread: How long in the Chena

Default How long in the Chena

Thanks to this forum I have come across some really fun fishing in the upper parts of the Chena River (mile 33 CHSR). I have a friend coming in August 22nd and would like to take him to get some grayling but I was wondering if anyone knew how long the graying stay in the uppper parts of the Chena and also where they might move as Fall rolls on so we can continue to chase them.

don't they freeze to death come fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Jisler View Post
    don't they freeze to death come fall?
    haha...I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.

No, most of the Grayling move the lower Chena where there are deep pools or they head out to the Tanana.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The Grayling should be there then, the chums should be spawning and the Grayling should be on them as well. You will have a lot of hunters in that area when moose season starts. I floated from the 1st bridge down to Rosehip campground a couple days ago. Be careful at around mile 32, there a hard bend in the river and there is a canoe trap in the bend. I cut the log that had the channel blocked. There is a canoe stuck in the logs and there was a Kayak stuck on top of the canoe with 2 guys, they were able to free the kayak.

Good luck and be safe.

Steve

Default Yep More than enough

Steve is more than correct. You can fish the Upper Chena above 24 mile until the weather turns bad nasty. There is a great and I do mean Great Late season little green stone fly hatch on that part of the river well into the 3rd week of Sept.

You may also wish to walk in across from the South Fork of the Chena not to far up from Rose Hip that time of year those fish will be staging as mentioned a little earlier than main river fish.

Again as Steve Mention the upper Chena is hunted hard to include Air and Jet boats along with the normal floating that goes on however you should be fine and have a more than respectable chance at having some fun.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

Default You'll have a blast

I fished the North Fork the last weekend of August last year. We fished for about 4 hours and caught 37 between the two of us. North Fork is awesome, it never lets me down. Good luck.