Thread: 212 lb. halibut in a 12-ft. Zodiac

Default 212 lb. halibut in a 12-ft. Zodiac

Just found out a guy I know caught a 212 lb. halibut in his 12-ft. Zodiac out of Homer. I'd like to have seen that

Default very doable

I'd love to see the photos of it as well. I catch halibut up in the 60 - 80lb range every year out of mine, but thats a long way from 200+. Sooner or later I know that I will hook into a big fish too. Shoot it and tie it off to the side of the boat. Just don't try to bring it in until its long dead and you should be ok.

I say harpoon it and let it tow you back to the harbor. :-)

I've caught a 60 and a 90 out of my 9ft zodiac. If I had a harpoon, I'd use that...other wise, I just towed those fish back to the beach. Halibut are strong, but the water being continually forced into their mouths has the effect of drowning them and the quit fighting after a bit. That's with a 5 hp...

When I was younger they called that hookey-bobbing! LOL! But I'll bet it was one heck of a ride!

If its the same guy (JM) (works on the slope) it was 224 pounds 76 inches long. Just heard his story this morning at breakfast. He couldn't get it in the boat so he tailed it and towed it back to the Harbor. Said it towed him around for quite some time. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    If its the same guy (JM) (works on the slope) it was 224 pounds 76 inches long. Just heard his story this morning at breakfast. He couldn't get it in the boat so he tailed it and towed it back to the Harbor. Said it towed him around for quite some time. LOL
    He works on the slope, so sounds like the same guy.