Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How heavy is your sheep pack?

Question How heavy is your sheep pack?

I'm heading in on a 10 day solo fly-in sheep trip Aug 8th. My buddy is doing a walk in from the road with a second hunter. My pack weighs in at 65 lbs, and he said his weighs in at 45 lbs.

I'm trying to cut some weight. I'm using a Barney's Pinnacle in Kevlar, a Sako .270 WSM (light), pack weight is with 2 liters of water, taking 20 bullets, swaro spotter with cullman tripod, 2 man northface tent, sleeping bag, shoulder to butt sleeping pad, jet-boil with dehy food (10 days worth), etc.

I'm not going extravagant, and I'm suprised the weight added up so quickly.

Am I in the ball park with your pack weights, or am I about the same as you guys? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Default Similar

I am at a similar weight w/ food. I think a lot of guys give their gear weight without food. I have 17 lbs of foot for a 12 day hunt.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

How much extra clothes you bringing?
    You can also drop a pound by cutting your spare ammo to 10 rds

Rethink hauling 2 liters--that's 8 lbs right there.

Your gear sounds about right but then, in general, the primary difference between a 65lb pack and a 45lb pack is about 1,000 dollars

Smile

Well, subtract the water, your gun and half those bullets and you are real close to 50 pounds which is pretty close to as light as possible. I have seen guys quoting 40 pound packs and they are sleeping under tarps!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Default solo vs partner

A solo guy always has more to carry. Hunting with a partner you can share the load of some things... stove, tent, fuel, knives, etc.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

I agree the only way I could find to cut weight last season was to leave out food, leave the knife sharpener and extra knifes out, and leave the tent out. The food was a bad idea and I paid for that the first time out won't be making that mistake ever again! The only other way I could cut weight is to buy a new pack that weighs less which I will be doing eventually just too many other toys out there that are calling my name as is my credit card bill. I only carried 4 rounds in my rifle and 6 extra .300 win mag.

Do you have any idea what your buddy is carrying? I would love to see his equipment laid out and or a list of what he has packed 45lbs is effing amazing!

Default Don't skimp

Make sure you take enough of what you need to be comfortable. That last thing you want is to be without the right type of food. You will burn a lot of calories, so make sure you have the energy to walk and climb. I have never weighed my pack when I left. I didn't want to know. I carry a lot of food that is heavy, but will be eaten and will not be in my pack on the walk back out.

I wouldn't cut the 2 liters of water unless you have done the up front research and found where the water sources are in your area.
    You can always bring extra water and food and stash it somewhere for an emergency backup. Collapsable water jugs are great for this.

Default ...the right gear...

Yo Bronco, I'm getting with my buddy tonight to see what he's not packing that I'm apparently packing. I'm not taking a knife sharpener; got one of those Havalovs (sp?) from Barney's. It's a littel bit of sweet, sharp Heaven!

ERIC in AK: I'm considering cutting the amount of bullets.

HOW MANY BULLETS DO YOU GUYS CARRY?

I've never used more than 2 bullets on any hunt, but then again....remote, and I'm worried about knocking my scope off zero. AGAIN, that's never happened to me, but the thought is in the back of my mind.

My clothes are very minimal; I paid good green for that.

Suggestions appreciated...

Default H2O

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    I wouldn't cut the 2 liters of water unless you have done the up front research and found where the water sources are in your area.
    You can always bring extra water and food and stash it somewhere for an emergency backup. Collapsable water jugs are great for this.

It seems from the map that water won't bee much of a problem. I'm packing a light weight filter to keep the critters out.

i wouldn't cut the bullets...if you do knock your scope off you risk blowing the whole hunt just cause you don't have the ammo.

65lbs is about what my clients end up with and they have only a tiny bit of food, i'm usually around 75-80 when i head out for my sheep hunts. easier to dump food and bullets AFTER the sheep is dead to save weight coming out. and 65lbs will really help you body acclimate to the walking for when you do come out heavier.
    any game bags and garbage bags in there for the prize? bone saw? don't wanna pack that skull out if you don't have to.

my old boss used to say about sheep hunts...."nothing weighs anything until you put it with something else that don't weigh anything..then its heavy."
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Cast&Blast View Post
    I'm heading in on a 10 day solo fly-in sheep trip Aug 8th. My buddy is doing a walk in from the road with a second hunter. My pack weighs in at 65 lbs, and he said his weighs in at 45 lbs.

I'm trying to cut some weight. I'm using a Barney's Pinnacle in Kevlar, a Sako .270 WSM (light), pack weight is with 2 liters of water, taking 20 bullets, swaro spotter with cullman tripod, 2 man northface tent, sleeping bag, shoulder to butt sleeping pad, jet-boil with dehy food (10 days worth), etc.

I'm not going extravagant, and I'm suprised the weight added up so quickly.

Am I in the ball park with your pack weights, or am I about the same as you guys? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    List the entire contents of your pack/whats on your body. Cutting weight is easy and cheap, cutting it to the min is hard and expensive.

Cut water in half, I have never been to the hills in Alaska where I did not find water.

10 rounds of ammo is plenty and you can get by with even less.

2 man TNF tent is too heavy. Black Diamond Lightwaber microfiber tent will cut that weight about a 2/3 or more of the TNF tent. An ID Silshelter, I have an original Silshelter from Evan, weighs 11oz.

What sleeping bag? WM superlight/versalight, under 2 lbs is my suggestion. I have a custom made bag from WT that John Bouchard sold me on that weighs in the neighborhood of 1#, slip on all my clothes, slide into my pack and I can get into the teens with comfort.

Not a fan of Jetboil stoves. I know they are the rage especially on here but I use an MRS superfly with a hanging kit ti pot, weighs about the same maybe an ounce less but smokes the Jetboil for boil times and fuel consumption. I make my own food. Food is heavy no way around that but to make it lighter in samll increments

No cups or plates, eat out of your pot or remove dehy food from its foil package and place in plastic bag. You can use the bag to rehydro your food. I prefer small cooking bags, one bag will last whole trip = two bags, one to carry food one to rehydrate. To clean the bag, turn it inside out and lick it clean.

You can cut major weight and bulk with clothing. Most outdoorsman take way too much clothinig. I prefer lightweight microfibers, they cost but cut weight to the extreme. No need for rain pants with a good micofiber pant.

Drill holes in everthing. Throw everything on the floor and start brainstorming cutting the things you "want" out, things you "may" need out, find things that have mulitple uses.

Not sure which tripod that is but makeship your pack, put a ball socket window mount on the frame.

Good luck both at cutting weight and success on your hunt!

Consider a bivy vs tent? The northface is 2lbs even. If your taking the 2man to store gear, consider using a tarp.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default cutting weight

Eric - you are probably a lil heavy b/c you are solo. When I go with a partner, we usually are each at about 60 lbs +/- 2 lbs. Obviously we are each able to split some things such as tent, spotter, sat phone, etc. You got all this on your own. When i go in, I take some good chow and a few extra items that seem to make the attitude good when we are tired, cold, wet or just simply worn out. So I will go in a lil heavy and know that I will a few extra comforts. 45 lbs is very light...but I would be leary if that included everything or just the dude goes superlight, doesn't each much, etc. Not saying its not possible....but makes me say...hmmmmm. Good luck bro...be safe, alone in the mtns is special. Bring that big ram home. Nothing better than packing out a bruiser ram! **** I am gonna miss this season!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Erik in AK sums it up best about pack weight " It takes alot of MONEY" to get the packs weight down. Most gear that is good/tuff that is lite cost alot of money but its worth the money when your out in no where in the mountains.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post

my old boss used to say about sheep hunts...."nothing weighs anything until you put it with something else that don't weigh anything..then its heavy."
    THAT'S THE MOST TRUE STATEMENT I'VE HEARD TO DATE. THAT WAS ME LAST NIGHT PACKING MY BAG AND SCRATCHING MY HEAD. FRICKING HILARIOUS!

I THINK I'LL LEAVE A BOX OF BULLETS IN MY BEAR CACHE AT THE LANDING, ALONG WITH EXTRA FOOD, SALT, AND FUEL......and oh yea, a little seasoning, butter and flour.

Smile light pack guy...

I think i'm the buddy with the light 45 LBS pack Well when i was in the garage and playing around packing/repacking/packing/ adding and thinking, i made my pack heavier... 5 lbs heavier.

Kimber Montana 8400 .325 with Leopold 4x12. 7.LBS 3
    10 bullets no box 10 OZ
    Kifaru long hunter guide pack-7200 CU- 6 LBS 3 oz
    Jet boil stove 15z
    2 fuel bottles 13 oz
    Gerber sliding saw 6.7 oz
    mountain house freeze dried 2 a day. 10 days= 6.25 LBS
    OUTMEAL TO GO BARS 2.1 X 10= 1.3 LBS
    Nature valley granola bars 1.5 oz x 15 1.4 LBS
    MSR Cloud liner Hydration Reservoir 6.2 oz
    Swarovski 10x25 pocket bino’s 8 oz
    leica 1200 range finder 7 oz
    Swarovski 80 mm spotter 3.3 lbs
    spotting scope tripod 22 oz vanguard from cabelas
    GPS garmin 60csx 7.5 oz
    camera digital small 5 oz
    1 nalgene bottle 3.5 oz
    wilderness athlete hydrate and recover/energy focus .05 oz a peice 10 oz for 10 days
    knife 3 oz with scalpel replacement blades. 3 OZ
    Blister kit/first aid kit, VERY SMALL 1.5 oz
    Huba HP tent 3 lbs packed.
    Hilleberg bivanorak 1 LBS 6 ounces
    cats meow sleeping bag 2.6 lbs
    rain gear Sitka nimbus set-2.5 LBS
    Sitka gear traverse shirt 9 oz
    Sitka 90% jacket 1.6 lbs
    rivers west watch cap 4 OZ
    topo map 1 oz
    duck tape 3 oz
    550 cord 4 oz
    2 bic mini lighters 2 OZ
    TAG BAG game bag 9 oz
    gloves Sitka Celsius 8 0z
    Leki super malku poles 20 oz
    Crocs 8 oz
    1 rolls TP 4 OZ
    9 oz therma rest small sleeping pad
    Oakley sunglasses 5 OZ
    Chap Stick .5 OZ
    titanium stork .6 oz
    MSR towel super lite weight .05 oz
    2 pair of extra socks. 4 oz
    1 pair extra liner 2 oz
    Sat phone weight 1 LBS

This is my gear list for going solo…just in case your partner goes down... you never know and almost happened yesterday, thankfully he’s still going.
    49.45 lbs calculated weight., 50 LBS actual weight. Not sure where the extra 11.5 oz went vs. marked weight??? I could shed weight by using the leica 62 televid instead of the 80 mm Swarovski and save another 1.6 lbs without the hilleberg bivanorak which would save 2 lbs 12 oz making my pack what it used to be which is 46.25. I will probally add the weight in bagels and single serve peanut butter that JASONINANCHORAGE suggested I use. It was closer to 45 lbs when I didn’t have extra socks, sock liners, tape, and 550 cord and didn’t add the sat phone weight. I could go bare minimum but I think this is a good mix of practicality and weight savings. I will wear Sitka gear ascent pants & base layer top, and meindal AK hunter boots from cabelas. I tried using the la sportive gtx s evo boots but they’re too narrow for my wide feet, if you need a size 10 boot and have narrow feet than a horse, I’m selling em for 200$ OBO. By the way check the forums when cast & blast gets back 18aug he’s going to have awesome pictures of a full curl J if you want to critique my list feel free! When I share the weight of tent & fuel my pack should be lighter once again.

If that were my food list for ten days I would be adding an additional 5-7lbs worth.

First, what service are you using that will fly you in solo? The one I was going with won't fly me in solo...

Second, I think 65 lbs is probably about right. Last year mine weighed 57 or so for a 6 day hunt, with two partners to share the load. That included water, food, and gun. I've upgraded/lightened a few items, including sleeping bag and rifle, but I will be out for 10 days this year. Haven't assembled/weighed everything yet, though. I'll let you know...

Smile

another 3.5 LBS if i add my bagels and peanut butter..puts me @ 53.5 LBS Which i think im going to to do...**** there goes another 7 lbs on my pack in 2 days. Lets hope sheep season gets here before i add anything else!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast