Thread: Storm/winds affecting dipping this weekend?

Default Storm/winds affecting dipping this weekend?

Robb, gra8ful, or anyone else have any thoughts on how the storm and strong winds and waves might affect the dipping into this weekend? Looks like primarily NE winds, which from what I've read in these forums, is the opposite of what drives the fish to the beaches.

COOK INLET NORTH OF KAMISHAK BAY AND ENGLISH BAY
    400 AM AKDT TUE JUL 21 2009

...GALE WARNING TODAY...

.TODAY...NE WIND INCREASING TO 35 KT THIS MORNING. N OF KALGIN
    ISLAND...NE WIND 20 KT INCREASING TO 30 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. GUSTS
    TO E 55 KT OUT OF TURNAGAIN ARM IN THE AFTERNOON. SEAS BUILDING TO 7
    FT. RAIN.
    .TONIGHT...NE WIND 30 KT BECOMING E 20 KT AFTER MIDNIGHT. GUSTS TO E
    55 KT OUT OF TURNAGAIN ARM. SEAS 6 FT. RAIN.
    .WED...SE WIND 25 KT EXCEPT NE 15 KT N OF KALGIN ISLAND. SEAS 5 FT.
    RAIN.
    .WED NIGHT AND THU...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    .FRI...E WIND 15 KT. SEAS 3 FT.
    .SAT...NE WIND 20 KT. SEAS 5 FT.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Yes, it can be bad if it brings in heavy surf. Almost impossible to shore dip in waders. Need wet/dry suit.

If it means anything to ya, I have totally postponed my dipping trip. Was going to be down there today and tomorrow, but I am not going to battle the surf. I've done that before and lost....lol.

Weather all-around sounds pretty miserable, so we'll stay in town for now.

Man, those weather gods can just be mean sometimes...I had dipnetting, a silver charter, a halibut/ling charter, and a Kenai king trip all around this upcoming weekend. My grand finale to the summer. I guess at least the river trip will happen and I may find myself lining reds the other days. Perhaps some small animal sacrifice will appease Poseiden into relenting around, oh, say Thursday.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I *may* run down, if I can convince my wife to let me, by myself to try the dipping. I know the weather is not going to be pleasant, but I just have a feeling that fishing is going to be good for those willing to tough it out. Aaaarrrghh. Stupid fishing. It's an addiction. And the next time I could go would probably be Sunday or Monday next week. I just feel like I'm missing out.

Yeah, I'm contemplating a suiside run this weekend too. Late night low tides. Would be awesome if they EO 24 hour dipping on the kenai.

Nickster, good idea, a sacrifice is in order. Please come and offer your fish to my smoker.

Wonder how the commercial guys did yesterday. The in-river count was way higher then I expected at 47,000+. Up a good bit from the couple of days before that. I thought it was going to drop some more. I wish I had more time so I could just park myself down there for a week, pretty much gauranteeing I'd find some good fishing in there somewhere....

Oh well...I do have a week off at the end of August for Valdez silvers....can't wait.

Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Nickster, good idea, a sacrifice is in order. Please come and offer your fish to my smoker.
    That's the problem - no fish to smoke. And I have it on good authority that Poseiden only accepts LIVE sacrifices. And you ain't smokin' up my goldfish, buddy, no way, no how!

Scott - I'm going to be down there, south beach Kenai, Sunday and Monday regardless. My buddy has a small motorhome and two or three of us will be at Denalihunter's RV parking location Sat & Sun nights. Let me know if you're going and we can hook up.

Arrow Kenai this morning........SLOOOOOOOW

windy to the point of white caps. Big boats nose up rear down, not even close to being on step causing huge wake. combat dipping and VERY FEW fish this morning. 0600hrs to 1400 hrs 9 fish. Not 90. you read it right.......9. Tired, sore and grumpy but.......not skunked.

And that was 9 fish dragging two 5 foot nets from a boat. Chances are if any fish are coming in today they will be on the second half of the incoming tide...? Oh well. Only needed a few more to round out our year. May pick up a couple by stick and string later.

.....did I mention I also got a spot inspection by the US Coast Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    That's the problem - no fish to smoke. And I have it on good authority that Poseiden only accepts LIVE sacrifices. And you ain't smokin' up my goldfish, buddy, no way, no how!

Scott - I'm going to be down there, south beach Kenai, Sunday and Monday regardless. My buddy has a small motorhome and two or three of us will be at Denalihunter's RV parking location Sat & Sun nights. Let me know if you're going and we can hook up.
    Nick, I might take you up on that. I'm in the process of selling my car and *hoping* things work out so I'll have a big SUV by next week to drive out on the beach. I'd rather fish the south side, anyway. How're you getting from DH's place to the fishing?

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Nick, I might take you up on that. I'm in the process of selling my car and *hoping* things work out so I'll have a big SUV by next week to drive out on the beach. I'd rather fish the south side, anyway. How're you getting from DH's place to the fishing?
    I'll be in my Jeep. I talked to Claude there, and there's room for another vehicle with an RV in the spaces allocated.