Thread: Echooka River

Default Echooka River

Hi together!

Has anyone ever canoed/kayaked the Echooka River? I know that hunters are sometimes boating up from the Sag into the Echooka. What I am thinking about is to float it down with an inflatable kayak. The area itself seems to be very interesting for extensive side-hikes and apart from this it is for sure a very remote region which is only visited sometimes from hunters.

Until now I only found one report from a float on the Echooka and even this report is very old. I estimate the Echooka to be very shallow and I am aware that this can mean a lot of lining. I have also checked the other alternatives in this area: In the west the Ivishak doesn’t look as good for hiking as the Echooka and I have already floated the Canning River in the east.

So maybe somebody has some information about this river for me. I would be very happy for every input.

Best greetings from Austria
    Hubert

I have motored up it a few times most years very shallow in many places.i need 1-2 inches to run once i'm up on step i tapped bottom alot the time i went the furthest?????5-6-miles
    the year i did it was a good year for water. and that varies alot year to year.
    good luck
    "jerod" on this site has been up it alot further
    Pat
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I've been quite a ways up the Echooka a couple of times. I did a good amount of damage to my first boat when I went up there back in '04 or '05. We might have made it about 10-15 miles upstream. The year before that I took a smaller boat up about 10 miles, but the river was flooding and it was easy going.

A couple years ago I took my boat up there about 10-15 miles again. The river gets pretty braided out in sections, but if you stay in the main channel there is typically enough water to navigate.

I think that would be a fun trip, get dropped off close to the headwaters and paddle out. We could almost always count on seeing caribou in the hills off the mountains, but there was just no getting there with our boat. We've seen quite a few grizzlies and wolverine up there too.

The Echooka can really move when the water gets high. You'll have great grayling fishing too.

Here are a couple of pictures I took last month from a flight south out of Prudhoe. The first is zoomed in at the confluence of the Echooka and Sag, the second is backed out of the Echooka. There were never ice fields when we have gone up there, but I'm pretty sure we went well past the larger ice field.

Thanks for you very much for your replies.

Well waterlevels are the crux of the matter. I paddle a inflatable made by Grabner and made very good experiences even with very low water conditions (especially on my trip on the Wind River I had extremely low water in the first part and had to line my boat for several miles - however I made this trip very late in season and it was very dry this summer).
    For regular paddling I need between 3 – 4 inches of water. For lining without scratching over the ground 2 inches are more than enough.

Due to this reason I would time this trip as early as possible starting in late june and taking advantage of spring thaw. Therefore Aufeis – especially on the lower river – will still exist.

So when did you boat up the river?

Apart from the paddling topic I have one more question concerning hunting season: When is the hunt for caribou opened in this region. As I am not a hunter and I usually try to avoid hunting seasons when I paddle a river. But I assume that this is starting later in season.

Thanx once more
    Hubert

Hunting season starts July 1st, but the traffic doesn't start showing up until late July, early August. Spring thaw is usually in late May - mid June and the rivers can really be flowing at that time. Could be a possibility of ice fields blocking the channels and you would have to portage over them, but I think the main channels will have knocked out the ice.

I've motored up the Echooka in Late July and the second week of August. Most of the rocks you will encounter are small 3-6" sewer rock style that is pretty rounded out and not jagged.

jerod, wouldn'y that be the confluence of echooka and Ivashak
    since the Echooka and sag don't meet.
    think i've made it to almost that first big snow patch 2-3 years ago.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by AK NIMROD View Post
    jerod, wouldn'y that be the confluence of echooka and Ivashak
    since the Echooka and sag don't meet.
    think i've made it to almost that first big snow patch 2-3 years ago.
    OOOPS! Wrong river! You are right, that is the confluence of the Echooka and the Ivishak.