Thread: Salt Amounts for Caribou

Default Salt Amounts for Caribou

How much salt would you recommend for salting a caribou cape in the field? How long is the initial salting good for before you need to drain the hide and salt again? Is one salting good enough to get you by for 4-5 days until you get out of the field?

I'm planning in advance for that monster I take on my Bettles flyout this year.

Lots of variables with size, temperature and how well you fleshed the hide. 25# is enough for 2 applications, but you can never use too much. Use fine, non iodized salt and make sure you get it in all the small folds by pushing it around with your fingers. After the salt is saturated (day 2), I shake the old stuff off and apply a second, lighter coat. Some people fold hides in half after salting and put them in breathable bags. I like to lay them in the shade (weather permitting) with lots of air flow and angled, so liquid flows off. Keeping the hide dry and cool are two of the most important things to remember no matter what technique you decide to use.

Default salting

once the hide is salted, drained and re-salted, how long can you expect the hide to keep for?

I generally agree with Wyatt except I resalt after 24 hours. Most important is to flesh it well before applying the first coat of salt. Another variable is whether you turn the lips, ears, eyes, nose before you salt it. If you do, the hide will keep better, longer and the chance of any problems will be decreased. If its going to be 4 to 5 days, do the extra work and minimize problems. The only time I don't is if I'm getting the hide to the taxidermist the next day (and want to pay the extra for him to do it).