Thread: Favorite Salmon Brines

Default Favorite Salmon Brines

Would like to try brining some sockeye salmon fillets before I smoke them. Does anyone have any good brining recipes that you would like to share? Thanks

Also some friends I know here on the river make some tasty salmon snacks out of their salmon fillets that they smoke in their lil Chief smoker. First off after the fillets are smoked they peel the skin off, break it up into chunks, put the pieces into a plastic bag, pour some honey over them then sprinkle some cracked pepper over them, shake lightly in the bag until the pieces are coated then serve, man this is some good snack food before dinner.

I just use brown sugar and salt for a dry brine. 2 parts sugar to 1 part salt. mix the 2 together and fluff with a fork. drop a filet into it and whatever sticks to the meat ia what it needs. Stack in a deep pan flesh to flesh and skin to skin. Fluff the mixture before each drop, otherwise it will get compressed and little will stick. Salmon bellies are like candy after smoking with this method and Filets are good without being salty or sweet.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Mine is different than most you will see because I can't use salt in my because of family health problems. We I do is Braggs liquide amminos, yoshida sauce, molasses, hot sauce, garlic, onion, pepper and water. I mix these together about 2 parts braggs, one part each yoshia and molasses and about 2 to 3 parts water. That is really just a guess because I am a dump it in the pot till it looks good kinda girl. Then I use a whole garlic bulb, one onion and hot sauce and pepper to taste.
    I brine for 12 to 24 hours them let dry on the racks with a fan for a little while before smoking.
    Good Luck
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

1 part yoshida's and 1 part white wine. Let soak for a couple of days and then dry on the rack, add fresh pepper. Poor a couple ounces of brandy into the chips and smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    1 part yoshida's and 1 part white wine. Let soak for a couple of days and then dry on the rack, add fresh pepper. Poor a couple ounces of brandy into the chips and smoke.
    Man, lots of booze in that recipe. I suppose you wash the finished product down with a tasty brewdog too. Only seems fitting. I may have to try the brandy in the chips, sounds like a good idea.

When i am doing Salmon Fillets, I use the same brine that garnede listed.

When i do salmon jerky or salmon bellies, I usuallly use 2 parts soy or teryaki (tabasco makes a great spicy soy sauce) 1 part water, a couple table spoons of brown sugar and some salt. Then i pepper the tops of the salmon pieces when before i put them into the smoker.

Dry rub. 1 part non-iodized sea salt to 4 parts soft dark brown sugar (approx). A pinch of nutmeg/clove/cinnamon is a nice touch if I plan to eat it naked. I'm liberal with the rub. It sucks the moisture out of the fish and after a few hours the pan will be full of liquid. Once brined I rinse, dry until tacky, brush on some maple syrup or honey and dry to a tack again, and then smoke. Probably the most important step is drying to a tack after rinsing the brine off. That step will improve the quality of the finished product regardless of the brine recipe.

I wanted to try something different last year and found this recipe, it turned out delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Brine-f...on/Detail.aspx

• 1 gallon water
    • 1 cup kosher salt
    • 1 cup white sugar
    • 1 cup brown sugar
    • lemon pepper to taste
    • 1 (3 ounce) package dry crab and shrimp seasoning mix
    • freshly ground black pepper to taste
    • 4 cloves garlic, crushed or to taste
    • 1 dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
    • 4 lemons, sliced and crushed
    • 2 oranges, sliced and crushed
    • 1 lime, sliced and crushed
    • 1 large yellow onion, sliced

DIRECTIONS

1. Pour the water into a large bowl or small bucket. If you must use a pot, use one that does not contain aluminum. Stir in the kosher salt, white sugar, brown sugar, lemon pepper, parsley and seasoning mix. Add the garlic, hot pepper sauce, lemons, oranges, lime and onion. Soak your salmon in this brine for 12 to 36 hours. Smoke using your desired method.

OK after many years of experimentation here is what I have found. Keep the brine simple 1 gal H2O 1 cup salt 1 cup brown sugar. For salmon candy 1 gal apple juice 1 cup salt(I like sea salt) 2 cups refined sugar. Soak 12 -24 hours dry on a rack and cold smoke accordingly. BTW the sweet brine works great for bacon too juts soak the meat longer (at least 24 hours 48 is better yet).

Once the fillets are dry I add a dry rub to the fillets for the ones I want to have a bit more uhpf. This has 3 advantages.
    1) The fish doesn't loose it's preservative properties do to a weak brine.
    2) The rubs flavors are expressed more fully and can be more tightly controlled.
    3) Fish flavored by a dry rub has the seasoning visible adding to overall presentation and enjoyment of the smoked salmon experience.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

You might want to check out the smoking thread which is at the top of the Alaska Pantry forum. It is a sticky. Lots of good looking recipes there. Here is the link:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ead.php?t=5127
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

RickP,

I also use various dry rubs after my salmon is brined and dried. I've really went with the fresh herbs route most recently. I slice a few very thin pieces of lemon, finely chopped garlic, cracked pepper, fresh Italian parsley, fresh chopped dill, a hint of maple sugar (sent from home). Throw it in the smoker with the dry rub......garnished with the thin slices of lemon.

As for the brine......1.5 parts salt, 1 part real maple syrup, and a few blended up apples with a gallon or two of water. Of course by trial and error the salt content has been lowered until perfect finished taste was achieved (too much salt tastes horrible IMO)

My brine has yielded a much more gentle flavor than the brown sugar and salt brines I have tried. I've also lessened the amount of dry rub to a certain extent.....not too keen on salmon with overpowering flavors......I like a good combo of both the flavor of the salmon and the flavor of the brine and dry rub complimenting the flavor of the salmon.