Thread: Kenai dippin from a boat

Default Kenai dippin from a boat

So, I have a 20' Hewes sportsman with a 200 merc sportjet. Can I dip on the kenai? If so, where do I put in at?

Rob

Only if it is a 4stroke...

Default 2 stroke

DFI 2 stroke. Crap......

You might be ok then! I know the johnson/evinrude dfi 50's are legal, there is just so few of them I didn't think to mention them. Might give the soldotna f&g a call in the am to make sure your motor is legal. If so, get in the 3 hour line at the city dock on bridge access rd to launch it. Make sure to not go up river above the bridge with bigger than a 50hp.

OK. Thanks. That's what I was wondering. I wasn't sure where the line was cut for 50HP motors. Thanks....

Rob

There is a sign that designates where you have to have a 50 hp or less and the sign is about a mile BELOW the bridge. The sign is on the north side of the river. Stay below it with large motors and DFI motors are legal.

Check out this link to the ADF&G annoucement about what motors are allowed where. There is a nice map with it too.

http://alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Depa.../news0709.html

Default DFI legal

Any four stroke or Direct Fuel Injected 2- stroke is legal on the Kenai in the dipnet zone. There is a sign just below the bridge marking the boundary.
    If you try midweek the line might not be so bad. Also try not to launch at the peak of the low tide as the Ramp gets extremely muddy and there is very little dock space left floating.
    Don't forget your ropes to tie off your nets.
    Also it always works best if the boat driver does not dip but concentrates on running the boat. On busy days it is a madhouse on the Kenai and if your not extremely careful you could easily have a collision.
    Seems like a lot of the guys out there only run the river for dipping as a lot of them have no clue as to how to run a boat. Last time we went we got cut off a couple times buy people who never even looked back. Good thing our boat driver was concentrating on his job.
    Also it helps to power into the fish. By this I mean your boat should never be standing still. When the tide starts coming in speed up so you are not sitting in one spot really helps put fish in the boat. Not real fast but you should always be moving down river. Last time we went right around most of the boats after the tide changed and they got surprised when we picked up a couple of doubles right beside them.
    Watch the other boats as you will see witch area is picking up fish. Your boat driver can then steer into the path of the schools.
    And try to keep up with the crowd one slow boat plugs up the whole process, If you must go real slow or have time consuming problems with gear etc. Pull outside of the line of boats or head for midriver till you get your problem solved.
    I have seen several boats wander all over causing havoc a couple of times as a boat driver tries to take care of a net he is using or tend to the needs of youg kids or others in his boat.
    Good luck! Dipping the Kenai by boat in my opinion is the only way to go!
    CHRIS
    p.s. you can also launch at higer tide stages across from the city dock at Kenai Landing. Access is off K-beach just follow the Signs.It is a private launch but I forget the price.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the great info. I guess we are going to give it a try now.

Default Yoda Says...

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Thanks for the great info. I guess we are going to give it a try now.

"There is no try, there is only do or do not."

Watch the signs on the banks, they are hard to see especially at low tide; I'd go to the Kenai Landing Launch on the Old Cannery Road. They have more affordable parking and it's a bonus if you are staying over night to have ameneties available to you. Restraunt, laundry, Ice from the local cannery; all good stuff. I stayed there this last weekend and was completely satisfied. If you are not dipping from a boat and ARE dipping on the South bank this place will still work but you are going to need a shuttle vehicle (ie a wheeler or 4x4).

Best of luck, (but I doubt you'll need it) - the middle two hours of each tide seem to be the best. I've tested that out and it works but is not perfect - within that two hours there's a one to one and half hour window that the fishing is really good.

For instance, if the tide is high at 12 and low at 6 then between the hours of 2 to 4 is going to be your window of good fishing. Then the good fishing after that will be between 8 and 10 on the flood tide.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default Kenai Landing ramp

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    p.s. you can also launch at higer tide stages across from the city dock at Kenai Landing. Access is off K-beach just follow the Signs.It is a private launch but I forget the price.
    They have separate prices for both launch and haul out, or haul out only. I stopped by early Tuesday am (5ish) on the way back to town to reminisce CWF days. Prices and hours are posted but I was too foggy to grasp them.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    For instance, if the tide is high at 12 and low at 6 then between the hours of 2 to 4 is going to be your window of good fishing. Then the good fishing after that will be between 8 and 10 on the flood tide.
    Thanks for that. People keep saying the 2 hours between the tides, and I think the 2 hours either side of the tide. But in practise the 2 hours in the middle of the tide have been my most productive. Which would be what everyons is trying to tell me. Thanks
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/