Thread: Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx

Default Garmin Etrex Vista Hcx

I have an Etrex Vista that is broke and Garmin will fix it for $85, But have seen the Hcx online at Wally World for $198. Was wondering if anyone has the unit and how they like it and the ease of use. It has alot more features than my old Vista and am wondering if it's worth getting the new unit for an extra $115.
    The color display would be a plus as well as the memory card. Anyone have any reviews and what features do you like and use?
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Default Why not both...

Consider doing both if you get out in the bush far enough. On our float trips I always take two identical models, Legend C's, so if one fails/break/dies, I have another. Taking a remote float and having to be at a specific gravel bar in 10-14 days after floating 50 or so miles requires a back up unit. Of course I use topo maps with UTM coordinates and such, but on many rivers in the arctic, there are not enough geographical markers to get a reading. Guess I don't have to tell you that these things can fail. Hopefully yours didn't fail at a crucial time. Looks like a great deal at Wally World. I say go for it and let Garmin repair the older model. The way I see it, you could have a spare unit for $85. Given this logic, pick up a new Vista and you have two units for $285. Being similar models, the operations will be similar/same and that will keep things simple. But it does depend on the type of trips you take as to how easy you could justify this. Just something to consider.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Vista HCX

I have two of the etrex, a Vista C, and a Vista CX. They are both color screens, the only difference is that the CX has a slot for a memory card. I would highly recommend the color screen of the HCX. The batteries last longer than the black and white screen models, and the HCX is suppose to be a higher sensitivity model. It is suppose to be able to receive and maintain a signal in thicker cover than the previous models. I also agree with Dan, having more than one unit with you is never a bad thing.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default HCx

I have a the old Vista and a new HCx as well. I love the color screen. Especially the fact that it changes color schemes for day use vs. night use, so much easier to read. The high sensitivity is also a plus, IMO it refreshes quicker than my old one and I have never had a problem in the trees with the hcx like I have had with old vista. Danattherock is right though, think about both if you can. I carry my old one with me as a backup on long snowmachine trips or I keep it at the cabin for "vistors" to use so I don't have to come find them at 2am.

Default On the way

I went ahead ordered the HCX and sent in my broke Vista so I will have both in case I break or lose one.
    So I guess I will be able to upload my mapsource stuff to the card instead of directly to the unit with the HCX.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Sounds like a good move man. When it comes to electronics, Murphy's Law applies. I think you made a wise choice.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've got the HC model before they came out with the HCx. I've been in very tight cover, staked land with the thing, and I've had it in some pretty cold weather too. I love the thing. If you use it during cold weather......use the lithium batteries though....or you wont be using it for very long. Just recently when driving back to Sterling from Hidden Lk. I left it setting on the back of my bumper. At 55 mph the thing went bouncing along the highway off into the grass. My wife was following my vehicle and stopped to retrieve it. It turned on! It still appears to be working fine! If I ever upgrade.....Ill def be getting the HCx model. It's all the GPS anybody could ever ask for. My ONLY beef with the thing.......DONT TRUST THAT PAPER THIN PLASTIC LANYARD.....IT WILL EVENTUALLY SNAP.