Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Browning A-bolt Ti vs. Kimber Montan

Default Browning A-bolt Ti vs. Kimber Montan

I'm looking at these two rifles in the 325WSM or 300WSM calibers and was interested if anybody has positive/negative things to say about either. The price difference doesn't really matter, but reliability, weight, and reliable experience with them does. I appreciate any help.

Default Sako?

I was considering both of the rifles you mentioned but ended up getting a Sako 300 WSM in the Finnlight. So far I have been very impressed! It is very light and doesn't kick bad in 300 WSM. One thing a Cabelas rifle salesman told me is that the Browning you mentioned has a different kind of feed for short rounds like the 300 WSM. The only complaint I have so far with my Sako is that jacking in the 2nd round is a little unorthadox.

I'm not exactly sure what game you are going to be hunting but if you want a super light rifle that doesn't kick too bad in 30 cal you may want to at least take a look at a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM? 300 WSM may be a little borderline for grizz/brown bear but I would think it would be great for just about everything else AK has to offer? From what I've been told, Sako are super dependable. I had a Remington SS in 300 Weatherby Mag and just picking up and looking over the Sako I could see the difference in quality! Obviously the Sako is going to cost a bit more!

If price isn't an issue I'd buy a Kimber every day and twice on Sunday. They're twice the rifle!!! Not even comparable!

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    If price isn't an issue I'd buy a Kimber every day and twice on Sunday. They're twice the rifle!!! Not even comparable!

Brett
    Not sure how they are twice as good, but I like mine. However, I have no experience with the Browning A-bolts. But yeah if you get a good Kimber that feeds correctly out of the box (like mine does) then ya the Kimber Montana is the way to go. Only wish I would have bought it in .308 instead of 300 WSM so I could share ammo with my wife, cause I can do without the extra FPS when the bullet weight is mostly identical. I'd just learn where it shoots at the given range and save the 1# in the rifle and the extra $$$ buying the less expensive .308 round instead of the 300 WSMs. Wanna buy a Kimber Montana 300 WSM.

Brownings invariably, on the whole shoot better than Kimbers (espeically in light of the numerous reports of Kimber grouping problems) and have better customer service, including our service center up here and a local rep to handle interface with the factory if necessary.

Kimbers are more classic looking rifles and far nicer looking to me than Brownings.

Sako has degenerated into a shell of its former self under Beretta.

I would go with the Browning, if those are the only two choices and I wanted a super light rifle (I went with the Weatherby Ultra Lightweight myself). I've heard so many negative things about the Kimbers that I won't pay that much for one. Even if only 25% of what I've heard is true, I still wouldn't be comfortable. Also, compare the weight of the Kimber to the Browning. If you buy either in .300 WSM, the Kimber is going to weigh a pound more. The Kimbers in .308 family weigh less than the Browning, but stepping up to the WSMs increases the weight of the Kimber significantly for whatever reason. They are still relatively lightweight, but out of the "ultralight" category.One other thing, and this is just personal, I do not like the stock on the Kimber Montana. It doesn't fit me well, and to me it just feels cheap. Doesn't balance well to me, either. Again, this is just personal preference. You could feel exactly the opposite.

Thanks for all of the input, I appreciate the information. I'm wanting this rifle to be my "lightweight" Sheep rifle. I'd rather just spend the money once and hopefully get one that is light and will do what I want. I like that the Browning is around 5/8lbs lighter too, since I'm trying to get the lightest setup possible in a factory rifle. I keep hearing references to the Kimber problems people have had and the customer service run-arounds. Have those issues been resolved at this point? In my hands, the Browning just feels better overall. I'm not super keen on the camo colors in the Browning stocks, but that could easily be changed down the road and I can deal with the Mossy Oak dura-touch stock.
    As far as the 300/325 calibers, I'm still up in the air about that option. I don't reload yet, but will probably get into it in the coming years, since I want to get a 6PPC and can't find factory ammo for this caliber. For now I'd make the 325WSM work with factory option ammo, but would be more than happy to get the 300WSM if it's a better performer overall. Since it's going to be my main sheep rifle, I'd like it to double as a growler deterer too, so I was leaning towards the larger 325WSM for that type of instance. Any further information is highly appreciated, thanks.

How about the Remington Model 700 Ti Alaskan. Looks like a nice lightweight expensive rifle. Saw one in a magazine last night. I have no experience with them at all.

I've looked at the Remington 700Ti's online, but cannot find one locally to put my hands on. They're half a pound heavier than the Browning, but lighter than the Kimber's, so it'd definitely be an option if I could just find one to see how it feels in my hands. Does anybody know how Remingtons new X-Mark trigger compares to Kimber and Browning?

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I've looked at the Remington 700Ti's online, but cannot find one locally to put my hands on. They're half a pound heavier than the Browning, but lighter than the Kimber's, so it'd definitely be an option if I could just find one to see how it feels in my hands. Does anybody know how Remingtons new X-Mark trigger compares to Kimber and Browning?
    Great Northern Guns has a Remington Ti, but I dont' know if it's an Alaskan or not. Its a great little gun. I was impressed with it. It has a fluted bolt and is very light. The action is smooth and the trigger was very nice for a factory rifle. Kimber triggers are very nice out of the box. I don't remember about the Brownings trigger, I just remember not being impressed in the least when I've fiddled with the Brownings in the past. I'd much rather have a Remington or Kimber (not withstanding receiving a funky rifle form Kimber). I just think the Kimbers are a much higher quality rifle than the Brownings as are the Remingtons higher quality. The only plus in my mind for the Browning is its weight. Other than that the Kimber is supperior.

Brett

The Remington Tis are nice rifles. However, they tend not to shoot as well as the Brownings. Of the three guns mentioned here, in terms of what we see as a dealer and service center, I would make Browning my first choice, Remington my second and leave Kimber off the list.

The Browning Ti weighs 5 lbs 6 ounces as compared to 6 lbs 4 ounces for the Remington ti. I'm not a fan of either rifle but if I HAD to choose from those 2, i'd pick the Remington and change the safety out to a Gentry 3 pos and call it a wrap.

Thankfully we have many choices and my next choice of rifle will be a Kimber Montana in 7mm-08 plus, it only weighs 5 lbs 4 ounces and is lighter than both of the aforementioned rifles.

Default 7mm-08

I was just looking at that Kimber 7mm-08 and is shows 5lbs 2oz on their website...That's a light one!! How does that caliber compare to the 300WSM? Enough gun if a growler is a problem?
    Is there an easy way to find out if a Kimber is going to be a "problem" gun at the store, before it's purchased? Would it be possible to run some dummy rounds through the cycling action to see if it will be an issue? I like the Kimbers and they feel good, but the few problems mentioned seem like a risk that I'd hate to find out about just prior to a hunt.

I have owned all three. I have kept the Browning Titanium 300wsm and two Remington Titaniums in 270 and 3006. The only rifle of the group which suffered from poor accuracy and difficult extraction was my Kimber Montana in 270WSM. I traded that one after Kimber attempted to repair it.

I still own 5 Kimber rifles. They are blued with great looking walnut stocks. To be honest, of the 6 Kimber rifles I have owned, only one will consistently shoot under a one inch group. The Kimber is superior? That really hasn't been my experience.

I think Wildalaska summed it up the best. I would recommend the Browning Titanium.

Default Gunsamerica

You want to go right with your mountain gun then go all the way. There is a NULA model 20 in 284 on Gunsamerica for 2K.
    That Nula will outshoot either a kimber or a browning and weigh less as well.

These are just my thoughts.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    I was just looking at that Kimber 7mm-08 and is shows 5lbs 2oz on their website...That's a light one!! How does that caliber compare to the 300WSM? Enough gun if a growler is a problem?
    Is there an easy way to find out if a Kimber is going to be a "problem" gun at the store, before it's purchased? Would it be possible to run some dummy rounds through the cycling action to see if it will be an issue? I like the Kimbers and they feel good, but the few problems mentioned seem like a risk that I'd hate to find out about just prior to a hunt.
    Can't really say how it compares to the 300wsm as i'm no balistician but I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a grizz with it using 140 gr Nosler Partition Federal factory loads.

It's not fair to Browning trying to compare said rifle to a Kimber Montana....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    It's not fair to Browning trying to compare said rifle to a Kimber Montana....
    Matt,

I couldn't agree with you more. My Montana was one of the worst rifles I have ever owned......

The 7mm-08 doesn't pack nearly the punch that the 300wsm has, but will definately do the job on a sheep.

I wouldn't buy a Kimber unless the shop you're looking to purchase it at will allow you to cycle some different rounds through the gun in a variety of different bullet grains and different tips. My Kimber 270wsm would feed ok with some ammo but wouldn't hardly feed at all with others. I sent it back to Kimber and it feeds much better now.

The rifle at the top of my list, Sako Finnlight. Few ounces heavier than the Kimber but a better rifle in my opinion.

It sounds like people either pick a winner or a loser with the Kimbers. Pretty spooky sounding, and I'd be interested to know from Kimber themselves if they'd admit to the problems or say whether or not they've taken steps in manufacturing to reduce the problems? I have an older Weatherby Mark V, with a heavier synthetic/injected stock in 300WM that I just ordered a 21oz High Tech Specialty stock for. I'm going to slap that onto the 300WM and see how it feels. It won't be a super lightweight rifle, but will help it shed a bid of weight. I still really like that Browning Ti, but was looking at the NULA's, and those are some nice looking mountain rifles that they build. For $3K though, they oughta hike me up the mountain too Not that I wouldn't spend the money on one, just not that much at the moment. I'm going to call Kimber tomorrow and see what they say about the problems. I checked at the local Sportsmans warehouse and they claim that they haven't heard about any issues with them. I gotta take that with a grain of salt though, because they told me Browning wasn't making the Ti's anymore too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast