Thread: Boating out of Valdez

Default Boating out of Valdez

Ok, two weeks ago I put my boat in the water at Homer for the first time. (Thanks to Ken and everyone else for all your help) This coming weekend it's time to try Valdez. I'm getting the chart today but I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any words of wisdom for a Valdez newbie. For those that aren't aware, or have forgotten, I'm in an 18' Harbercraft with a canvas top, 50 hp Honda and 5 hp kicker and I know my limitations so I'm not going too far. Basically, since I don't want to screw things up and be one of those guys that wanders around the launch slowing everyone down I'm looking for advice about the boat launch, parking the trailer and harbor idiosyncracies. Then, does anyone have any advice about things of interest when just motoring around and of course, where in the heck is Allison point and should I go there with my boat or just drive there?

Other than that, I think I've got a handle on it.

Allison point is directly across the port of valdez from the harbor. It is futile to pull your boat over as there is no launch and parking is limited. It can be very worthwhile to motor your boat across the port to Allison point for some fishing though generally one can find better fishing elsewhere, out in front of mineral or gold creeks for example, both on the same side of the port as the harbor and westward, toward the sound.

When I lived there I had a 17 inflatable with a 55hp motor and canvas top. The seabreeze typically begins around noon and blows until about 8pm. Sometimes the seas will only get 1-2ft but usually get 3 to 4ft. The seabreeze, size of my boat, limited fuel capacity ( as it was a 2stroke @ 6gal an hour) and proximity to montague straits kept me from venturing no further than galena bay, jacks bay and sawmill bay. The majority of my time was spent in the port fishing for salmon.

If you wish to go out of the port and explore the narrows or one of the aforementioned bays you need to decide 1 of 2 things: get up early and get back to the port by noon or, get up early, explore the sight and find an enjoyable place to spend the day until 8-10pm and motor back to the port. if you choose the 3rd option which is traveling during the seabreeze expect a teeth rattling, long and bumpy ride to the harbor.

Wherever you go there you will enjoy the scenery, it is gorgeous. There should be tons of pinks to catch and maybe a silver or two as it is early for them . Be sure to bring a camera and raingear.

The harbor and boat ramp is straight forward. Entering town the harbor will be the first left next to the Totem Inn. Once you make the turn the harbor masters office is in front of you, proceed to the STOP sign just before the HM office, turn left and straight ahead is the boat ramp at the end of the street, parking is to the left etc, harbor will be obvious .

Enjoy the trip and safe boating.

Thank You 338. We will be staying at the Totem Inn so it looks like it will be fairly easy. Since this is a business trip for the wife our best chances for putting the boat in will be in the evenings and on Saturday.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post something in the fishing section when we get back.

There are some buoys marking the closed area to keep boaters away from the Alyeska Pipeline Terminal and the tankers loading there. They are well out away from the tankers so make sure you familiarize yourself with the closed area so as to not get yourself into big trouble. The closure is in a straight line between the yellow buoys.

Shoup Bay is just a few miles out on your starboard side and that is a good place to dipnet ice for coolers. When entering Shoup make sure you go past it and come back around as it is very shallow on the entrance as you approach it from Valdez.

Valdez is a great place to go boating and the harbor is one of the easiest to use. There is hardly ever a line to launch your boat and plenty of parking.

Its next to impossible to get lost going in and out of Valdez in your boat and not much traffic except during silver season when everyone and their brother is down there fishing in just about anything that floats and has a motor.

I'm thinking about launching it and tying up at the transient area for a couple of nights. Is it pretty safe as long as I take the stuff out of the boat at night?

Quote Originally Posted by Bookseller View Post
    I'm thinking about launching it and tying up at the transient area for a couple of nights. Is it pretty safe as long as I take the stuff out of the boat at night?
    Your boat and equipment should be plenty safe there. When you get in take a walk along the docks, you will see plenty of boats parked and still full of equipment. Valdez is a nice quiet town and one I have never worried about my belongings in.

I recommend you contact the harbormaster about transient mooring. I decided it was too expensive to justify (I think about $20 per night), so I just launch/recover daily, but opinions will vary. With an 18-footer, launching/recovering should be a piece of cake, perhaps good practice if you are still new at it. And this is one of the friendliest ramps you'll find for learning the ropes.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    I recommend you contact the harbormaster about transient mooring. I decided it was too expensive to justify (I think about $20 per night), so I just launch/recover daily, but opinions will vary. With an 18-footer, launching/recovering should be a piece of cake, perhaps good practice if you are still new at it. And this is one of the friendliest ramps you'll find for learning the ropes.

Chris

I'll wait until we get there tomorrow to make a final decision about it. One thing I don't need is practice. I've launched it in Paxson Lake and Lake Louise several times by myself. PITA but do-able.