Thread: Kimber 8400 Montana or Browning A-bolt

Default Kimber 8400 Montana or Browning A-bolt

I'm looking at buying a new rifle. At first contemplating between a 300 win mag and a 300wsm. Now, considering a 325 wsm over a 300 wsm. Looking at the Kimber 8400 Montana or Browning A-bolt, but have never owned either. My primary target is sheep, so I guess the flattest shooter should be the choice, but it may get some use on bears too...
    Any opinions appreciated.

Default 325 Kimber

Well, I was in a similar situation last winter and I went with the Kimber and haven't regreted it one bit. I haven't shot anything but paper with it but love it still. Just my opinion and I'm sure you will get a bunch of different ones.

Both the 300WSM and the 325WSM will work for anything in this state. The primary decision maker for me was lack of factory ammo for the 325 WSM. If you reload then there are lots of options for the 325 but in factory fodder your pretty limited. I have a new Kimber Montana 300WSM and I love it. Just got it a month ago and have had to range experiences with it and so far I have nothing negative to say. I also own a 338WM so the 325 wsm would of had me doubling up on similar calibers and the 338WM is for shooting big bullets at the big bears if I make another trip down south. I can tell you this for the $250 in difference between the A-Bolt and the Montana, the Montana wins hands down IMO,and I have owned both.

Welcome to the forums akwired. If you haven't already search the hunting a shooting forums. Lots of good info on these 2 guns and calibers.

I have a Kimber MT 325. Replaced my old wood/blue Ruger 06. Wanted a boost in power. Shoots factory ammo great. Can't go wrong with 300 or 325. I was set to buy a 300 but ran across the 325, liked the feel of the Kimber and bought it. Shot a ram and moose with it this fall. Recovered the 200 grain accubond from the moose. 350yds, broke spine/hump. Perfect mushroom. Shoots 1 inch groups at 100yds with the 200gr ab's. Hopefully we'll see more factory loads come out.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

thanks for the input. Can anyone tell me some good online resources for ballistics comparisons. Any good websites?

Federal ammo will give you some(not the 325WSM though cuz they dont make ammo for it) Winchester ammunition gives you theres for the 325WSM and the 300WSM, if you want to calculate your own try Norma Ballistics.

Default kimber

I bought my first kimber back in the spring. It is a montana 300 wsm. Well to put it short I got another one (wood stock) on layaway in 270 wsm and can't wait to get it out and start handloading for it too. Awesome guns and extremely accurate especially considering the light weight factor.

Default Kimber Talk

I just rec'd my Kimber LA Montana today in 300WM. Even though I had 3 Montana 300WSM's, I feel the 300WM still gives one more options. I know there is a debate there but that is how I feel. With all due respect to Browning A Bolts, they cannot compare to Kimbers. That doesn't mean one particular gun can't have a problem though.
    With your 300WSM you could load 150 gr. Accubonds for sheep and have a few 180 Partitions if something hungry comes snooping around.
    I would say the 300WSM has more versatility than the 325WSM.
    Good luck!

Talking browning or kimber

I just went throught the exact same question over and over agian for months. I just bought a used kimber for 850$ stainless synthetic montana 8400. I liked the x bolt a lot but when i put my hands on the kimber it just seemed to have a better feel to it. I dont think you could go wrong with either. The x bolt has some features i liked such as the removable magazine and triger was pretty nice too. I think the montana wins but go with your gut and what feels right in your hand. Good luck, its good to have those kind of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by akwired View Post
    I'm looking at buying a new rifle. At first contemplating between a 300 win mag and a 300wsm. Now, considering a 325 wsm over a 300 wsm. Looking at the Kimber 8400 Montana or Browning A-bolt, but have never owned either. My primary target is sheep, so I guess the flattest shooter should be the choice, but it may get some use on bears too...
    Any opinions appreciated.
    i own both and recommend both.......but i really like that kimber. my 8400 really wants to shoot, great stock geometry , AND controlled round feed! here are a couple of 5 shot groups at 200 yds, the pics are from the "barrel break-in" shots were taken from a bench using a leupold 4X scope (favorite hunting scope!)

it should only improve from here. good luck and

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kimber Montana hands down.

Kimber 8400 30-06

Five shot group
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I bought a Montana 270WSM and like it for goat hunting. I did have to have the trigger burnished as it had a little "catch" on it. I thought this was odd given the reputation and cost of the rifle. It is fine now. Guess it shows that they all make mistakes.

That's a good buy. Congratulations. I bought one and think you would be hard pressed to do better. Especially at that price.
    Mine had/has a problem though. When I first received it I noticed that the space (small) between the barrel channel of the stock and the barrel wasn't even. It apeared as though the stock was bent. The 'feel' of trigger also changed durring sessions at the range. It would start to get some creep and feel 'crunchy'. I talked to Kimber and they said just send it in with an explanation of the problem. It was returned with a new stock and I proceeded to mount on the new rings/bases (Talley Lightweights) and new scope (VXIII 2.5-8) and take it to the range.
    Kimber seemed to have some pretty good customer support for my problem and the fit and finish of their product is good. They get a A in my book.

I think this setup is a really good match. The rifle is light and packs up the mountains great yet still has plenty of punch when that is required.

Question

I have heard a lot of people talk about talley light weight 1 peice mounts/rings with kimber montana rifles. The rifle i bought came with talley's and leupold rings/bases. I have always used leupold, but it seems a lot of people use talley's on their montana for the light weight combo. I know leupold mounts/rings have been bomb proof for me, hows everyone like the setup with talley's.

Quote Originally Posted by doogiehauz View Post
    I have heard a lot of people talk about talley light weight 1 peice mounts/rings with kimber montana rifles. The rifle i bought came with talley's and leupold rings/bases. I have always used leupold, but it seems a lot of people use talley's on their montana for the light weight combo. I know leupold mounts/rings have been bomb proof for me, hows everyone like the setup with talley's.

leupold makes a fine ring/base combination but in keeping with the overall light weight plan for this rifle i chose talley mounts. they are one piece (ring and mount) very strong, and they mate just fine on my rifle.

i am using a fixed 4X leupold scope, which is a hunting favorite. it fits in a forward position allowing full edge to edge view with out head movement to disturb the "cheek weld".
    Attached Images Attached Images

My vote is Kimber by a long shot. Also, I love Talley LW mounts, and am in the process of changing all my rifles over to them.

Brent

Wink

Hey there guys by the way if you looking for a steal on leupold vx 3 scopes cabelas is having a killer sale on them. I got a 4-5x14 with b&C rectile delivered to the house for 509$ reg 729. Someone was nice enough to give me their cabelas points Now if they make taley lw bases/rings in silver i can have it all on my new kimber 325! Cant wait to bust sheep wiht the bad booh WOO_Hoo only 7 months to go fella's...only 7 months!
    4.5-14SilverBoone and Crockett1"404.4-3.712.615.419.9-7.4 Reg: $729.99
    Sale: $529.88