Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 8 strand (plate) nylon rope

Talking Looking for 8 strand (plate) nylon rope

I'm trying to find 1/2" 8 strand (plate) braided nylon rope, for anchor rod. I'm having trouble with the 3 strand twist as it is alway kinking in the anchor locker and causing trouble with the windless when it comes out. I have a swivel at the anchor but still a kink problem. I was told to use this 8 plate line as it will not kink, but I can not find it. Anyone know where I can get some or heard of it? THANKS
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

I use AmSteel.

just get some double braid nylon, i'd call arctic wire & rope in anchorage.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I bought 400' of 8-plait for my boat this spring and absolutely love it. It's solved all my kinking problems, and takes up half the room in my anchor locker than my old 3-strand did. Also, it works even better with my electric windlass than the 3-strand. If you've got an electric windlass with a rope/chain gypsy, I doubt amsteel or braided line will work with it.

This is where I got mine. Best prices I could find.

http://www.secosouth.com/mm5/merchan...e=anchor_rodes

Talking

After I got the spelling right for plait, I found it on line. I have 600' of 12 plait line coming. An other question, I want to mark the line every 100' and wondering what I should use? Paint or dye. Any ideas?

I used blue and red waterproof magic markers--blue rings for every 25 feet, and red rings for every 100 feet. Worked OK, although I got some bleeding of the color. Still easily readable though.

Just curious, why did you go with 12-plait vs 8-plait? My windlass manufacturer--Lewmar--only recommends 3-strand and 8-plait with my windlass. Are you sure that 12-plait will work with yours?

Default Windlass Rode

I changed out my windlass to a Lewmar 700 ProFish free fall and tried my old double braid rode but no good. It's too soft to get a grip in the gypsy so don't waste your money (I've got 500 ft of theh stuff if somebody wants it). I bought 500 ft. of 1/2" 8-plait from Defender for $300 delivered. Nobody in Anchorage has the stuff. The 8-plait is the trick for our small chain lockers and 500+ ft of rode. It lays really well though I still have to tend to it to keep from piling up. One way to minimize this problem is to mount your windlass as far back in the locker as you can to make maximum use of the fall available.

Good luck.

Default 8 plait

I too got my 8-strand from Defender, best price by far that I found. After looking up a few different sites on the internet, I was able to braid it to my 50' chain. I hope it works as good as they say it does. It does fall nice, but mine was slipping badly when retrieving. My Horizon 600 windlass has a worn-out gypsy, so I just received a new gypsy in the mail. I'll find out next week and post any miracles.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Defender has good prices, but SecoSouth (link posted above) has even better prices. I just checked and Defender wants $.65/foot for 1/2" 8-plait, while SecoSouth is asking $.58/foot. Also, my recollection is that the shipping cost was less from Seco.

Talking

There was a question of why I used the 12 plait instead of the 8 plait. When I talked with the windless people they told me that the 8 was good but the 12 was better for retrieval as it was a little firmer and the windless could grip it better, but still piles like the 8. Should be here in a few days so will find out.

Thumbs up Fish Witch

I'm interested in the 500' of rode you referred to.

Call me 269-7814
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default Windlass

After replacing the gypsy, my windlass is hauling in the 8-strand well. It even makes my rope-to-chain transition without any problem. It does still stack in the rode locker, but less than the 3-strand.
    Kingfisher 2525. 225, 20, and 2hp Hondas.

Question stretch ?

My understanding is that a good 3 strand nylon like New England line has a 25% stretch factor. That is a good thing for a anchor line. How much stretch does the 8 and 12 strand stuff you guys are talking about have?

I tried 12 plate first, it slipped in my lewmar windlass, switched to a three strand nylon and that was a real linked up mess, completely unacceptable, switched to 8 plate and so far it's been great. No linking and no slippage, Only down side is I don't think it will last as long, because it looks like the windless is a little harder on it. Bottom line the 8 plate was the most expensive however it has worked the best for me by far.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    My understanding is that a good 3 strand nylon like New England line has a 25% stretch factor. That is a good thing for a anchor line. How much stretch does the 8 and 12 strand stuff you guys are talking about have?
    Don't know much about 12-strand, but according to Yale Cordage, one of the leading manufacturers of 8-plait, 8-plait has even greater energy absorption characteristics than 3-strand.

http://www.yalecordage.com/pleasure-...lon-brait.html

Default how long...

So how long a piece does this 8 strand come in?

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    So how long a piece does this 8 strand come in?
    I ordered mine at 450 ft. with 20 ft of chain. I think you can get it whatever length you want.

Default 8 Plait Line Length

I wanted to buy a spool of the stuff to see if I could get a discount if they came in 600' spools. Defender gets it in 1800' spools so getting whatever length you want is not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I use AmSteel.
    Are you using it with a windlass?
    Apparently it floats, has that ever been a issue?
    How well does it lay in a rode locker?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Are you using it with a windlass?
    Apparently it floats, has that ever been a issue?
    How well does it lay in a rode locker?
    I don't think there is any stretch to amsteel. It would be like anchoring wire cable, good in some ways bad in others. Whith my limited experience with amsteel it seems to have little resistance to abrasion ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast