Thread: blueberry bushes

Default blueberry bushes

need help on how to get blueberry bushes (bought from costco) to get going. i used good potting soil, and the recommended acidic plant food, but they keep dieing....what am i doing wrong?? really would like to get a bush going good...i love fresh blueberries and use them in my blueberry wheat home brew.

I don't know a whole lot about blueberries but I don't buy any plants from lower 48 stores. There are numerouse types of blueberries. Just buy local when it comes to plants. Go talk to the local greenhouses. You might spend a little more but it is a plant that should produce fruit for many years.
    That's what she said...

I had several plants which I planted under a couple of spruce trees thinking the acid from the needles would be good but they struggled because of lack of water so I transplanted them into a rubbermaid container full of peatmoss such as Sunshine Peat. They have caught well and seem to be healthy looking so that might be a way to go. I agree with the comment about buying selections bred for your climate. There are some crosses which are bred for large berries but have the northern blueberry in their parentage.
    Here is a helpful article - one of many online - Blueberries.

Good luck.

Clayton

Default cmmwiebe

hit the nail on the head...peat moss & LOTS OF IT...will do the trick...if you've ever picked blueberries before, you'll see they grow best in peat bogs & near lots of mosses...

Me personally, I can now say I could careless about planted/farmed blueberries, as wild blue berries are WAAY sweeter than farmed/planted...it's like the differenct between a Chiquita banana & a Del Monte...Chiquita's are better...