Thread: Talkeetna area bows late August

Default Talkeetna area bows late August

Hello all,

I'll be in Talkeetna for 4 days at the end of August. I was wondering if anyone would share some places for walk and wade rainbow fishing. My favorite fishing is small stream pocketwater type fishing, although I'm open to anything with decent bows. I'm familiar with Montana, Willow, Little Su etc. Looking for something out of the way. I'd trade info if anybody is coming to Colorado, as Rocky Mountain National Park is my backyard. Ethical catch and release only so open up your secret honey holes for me PM me if you'd like to keep the conversation descreet.

Thanks,

pmo

Contact Mahay's or Tri River's and they will drop you off at Clear Creek and pick you up when you want. The cost for a round trip is $60. It's a nice clear stream with plenty of fish. You can walk upstream and get away from the crowds that will most likely be down near the mouth. Other than that, you can drive up the road that parallels Willow Creek and find some places to fish. You shouldn't have much company (two-legged) upstream of Deception Creek.

Default Solo?

When you call, ask if they'll transport a solo client. If not, they might help arrange transport whenever they have another party.

Default Byers Creek

Talkeetna drainages get hit pretty hard by the locals and the droves of tourists from the cruise lines/charters/guides. It ain't like it used to be. If you want to get into some real good rainbow fishing/wading, go on up the highway a little ways.
    Go to Byers Creek right before the Veteran's Memorial and wade the creek. Late August and September can't be beat. Make noise once in awhile and let the bears know you are around.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Talkeetna drainages get hit pretty hard by the locals and the droves of tourists from the cruise lines/charters/guides. It ain't like it used to be. If you want to get into some real good rainbow fishing/wading, go on up the highway a little ways.
    Go to Byers Creek right before the Veteran's Memorial and wade the creek. Late August and September can't be beat. Make noise once in awhile and let the bears know you are around.

Thanks for the info guys. I have been up to Byers in years past but never stopped to fish it. I'll give it a try. Does it get reds that are brining the bow in? Any fishing along Peterville Road? I tried that area several years ago, but I don't recall having a lot of success.

Byers is very low right now..I would say to low for fishing, but the end of August is a month away so who knows.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pmo View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I have been up to Byers in years past but never stopped to fish it. I'll give it a try. Does it get reds that are brining the bow in? Any fishing along Peterville Road? I tried that area several years ago, but I don't recall having a lot of success.
    Yes a good run of reds, chums and silvers. Low water concentrates the fish and makes it better. Lower the better. Petersville? So So. You can catch small rainbows in Kroto/Moose and Peters Creeks. But from my experience, that far upstream, they have all been on the smallish side.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~