Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Kenai Reds

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    54

    Default Kenai Reds

    Does anyone have a report on the reds. Wanna run down there tomorrow and catch some.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valdez
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Fished sportsmans to jims last night. plenty o' reds in the river right now.

  3. #3

    Default

    Sportsmans to Jim's on Saturday. Was mostly first-run tired fish that didn't look very appetizing. Based on the fish counts, I guess I would expect the numbers of fresh fish in to explode anywhere from yesterday to Wednesday. They say 10 days from the counter.

  4. #4

    Default Fresh & bright

    sockeyes for the last 3 days; not as many hogs as last year (yet!). Fished above Bing's; any of the cut banks should do. Jim

  5. #5
    Member LItoAK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    232

    Default

    This was the norm for us on Sunday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  6. #6

    Smile Reds in the upper river.

    Fished from Sportmans to Jim's landing. Dropped off one truck at Jim's in the morning and while we were loading my buddy's gear into my truck I spotted a brown bear sow with 2 cubs at the log jam. The 2nd run reds are in, pooling up in spots and they have been hanging out in Skilak lake because there are some red reds and they are not 1st run fish. Spotted 2 more brown bears walking up from the power lines. I later heard they had spooked some fishermen farther up river forwards the ferry. In a pooled up group of reds I did see a lone silver salmon ducking and dodging in amongst the reds. It is a little early but I do catch them by the 1st week of August in the upper river. Tight lines.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    54

    Default

    So probally best to wait a couple days to see if they have arrived yet? Or are they already at the Russian/Kenai conflux.

    And where is Jims Landing?

  8. #8
    Member chumstik's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LItoAK View Post
    This was the norm for us on Sunday.
    That was the norm for us on Saturday as well (fishing in boat-accessible only spot about 5 river miles upstream of Soldotna). Except the ones we caught were silver

  9. #9

    Default sonar to bings travel time?

    I know this has been answered elsewhere, but I can't find it using the search....about how long for the reds to get from the sonar to the Bing's Landing area???
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    The 2nd run reds are in, pooling up in spots and they have been hanging out in Skilak lake because there are some red reds and they are not 1st run fish.
    Ditto. We were there Sunday AM and landing some nice big chromies mixed with some of those 1st run "tomatoes".

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fishinbud View Post
    So probally best to wait a couple days to see if they have arrived yet? Or are they already at the Russian/Kenai conflux.

    And where is Jims Landing?
    Jims is about 3 or 4 miles downstream of the ferry. Turn left on Skilak loop and its right there on the left.

  12. #12

    Default kenai where to go?

    Heading down to the kenai tomorrow I usually fish the russian and the confluence and not to familliar with the kenai, should I try jims landing or go further down to bings?

  13. #13

    Default As of yesterday there were 47,000 through the weir....

    I had heard that was just yesterday, but have not looked at the count myself yet...

  14. #14
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    I'm in the same boat as Russ, looking to head down. Any pointers on whether to stop at Jims or keep going on down to Bings?

    Thanks,

    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  15. #15

    Default

    You can always stop at Jims to check it out then keep going to Bings if you dont like what you see. Theres no parking fee at Jims so its free to stop and take a look.

  16. #16

    Default

    Yea I think ill try jims because according to fish and game and the run chart, the fish travel about ten miles a day and looking at the counts, the first 50 thousand run was on july 15 giving it 6 days to go up thats to about 80 river miles..... so I think either choice would be good, look at a map on the fish and game regs book it will give you a better idea. Jims is at 69 and bings at 40 i think either one would be good but jims probably a better bet!!!

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,568

    Default

    Son and I fished Bings yesterday from about 11 am till 4 pm. It was very slowwwwwwwww. We did manage to catch our limit of 3 each in the five hours we were there but there were not many fish being caught.
    But like we all know, 15 minutes can change everything.

    Fish were smallish and people we chatted with said it was hot fishing on Friday then slowed down.
    Tennessee

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    147

    Default Bings up to Skilak should be prime now

    I took a group up stream from Dot's on Sunday. A little slow, but with some good pulses going through. I think it would be better now in the middle river. Helps to have a boat though.P7190005.jpg

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wasilla/Clear AFS
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Headed down a couple days ago and just got back so thought i'd pop up my report. Went to the in-laws house on the kenai in Soldotna with the family. It's about 8 1/2 miles up from the mouth, so lower kenai river. Had a family friend take us out the first night for some last minute dip netting and got 22 reds in about 45 minutes just prior to closure for the night. Next couple of days we fished the bank down from the house and added another 26 along with a very surprising 2 silvers to the count. The silvers bit off of yellow/green yarn w/no scent attractors. The runs were sporadic, but river bank fishing up and down from our location was hopping when it was. Most we caught were average size with a few large reds thrown in. Dolly's were hitting a bit as well. Saw several kings from the charters getting pulled in and overheard a weight of 58 lbs off a hand scale on one that was just off shore from us. Overall a very productive day of not working and just enjoying out great outdoors with mixed rain to boot . As an FYI, the town was STILL packed after the weekend fishing rush. We got in town on Sunday night and there was a ton of traffic out and about.

    Good luck all and be safe!

  20. #20
    Member TYNMON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Corvallis, Oregon, United States
    Posts
    918

    Default Two Silvers?? Awsome.. Hoepfully they are early strong run again!!

    Quote Originally Posted by akguy74 View Post
    Headed down a couple days ago and just got back so thought i'd pop up my report. Went to the in-laws house on the kenai in Soldotna with the family. It's about 8 1/2 miles up from the mouth, so lower kenai river. Had a family friend take us out the first night for some last minute dip netting and got 22 reds in about 45 minutes just prior to closure for the night. Next couple of days we fished the bank down from the house and added another 26 along with a very surprising 2 silvers to the count. The silvers bit off of yellow/green yarn w/no scent attractors. The runs were sporadic, but river bank fishing up and down from our location was hopping when it was. Most we caught were average size with a few large reds thrown in. Dolly's were hitting a bit as well. Saw several kings from the charters getting pulled in and overheard a weight of 58 lbs off a hand scale on one that was just off shore from us. Overall a very productive day of not working and just enjoying out great outdoors with mixed rain to boot . As an FYI, the town was STILL packed after the weekend fishing rush. We got in town on Sunday night and there was a ton of traffic out and about.

    Good luck all and be safe!
    First two Kenai Silvers I have heard of!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •