Thread: The Tebay River

Default The Tebay River

Anyone out there with Tebay River Experience or knowledge willing to share some beta. All responses, welcome pm's as well.

Never fished the river...only the lakes. King salmon make it up to the lakes and a few are there now. Lots of rainbows in the lakes and you see a few dollies as well.

Any lakers in the lakes?

No lakers. There are some other lakes in that general area with lake trout but not Tebay.

Also heard there is a steelhead run in the river. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by akursus View Post
    Also heard there is a steelhead run in the river. Is this true?
    I've never heard that. I guess it could be true but I've never seen any steelhead in the lake (and I've fished it a lot).

I'm wondering if your thinking about Hanagita? The lake/river system there has steelhead and lake trout.....and its also a pretty cool spot to fish.

According to the Interactive Mapping from ADFG, there are Steelhead in that system. I've never been there either but it does look like a nice place to fish. How is the Rainbow fishing, or how is the fishing in general?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for the info Whiskeypeet. Always wanted to fish and hunt the area.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    According to the Interactive Mapping from ADFG, there are Steelhead in that system. I've never been there either but it does look like a nice place to fish. How is the Rainbow fishing, or how is the fishing in general?

Fish On!
    I've never used the Interactive Mapping. Would you post a link so I can check it out?

The rainbow fishing in Tebay is lights out. I went up there last weekend and went 5 for 5 on my first casts. Its pretty much like that all the time....one of those places where you start wondering what the hell is wrong if you don't catch one.

Size wise the fish aren't "huge." The fish in the lakes range from 10" to 25" with most in the 12"-15" range.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskeypeet View Post
    I've never used the Interactive Mapping. Would you post a link so I can check it out?

The rainbow fishing in Tebay is lights out. I went up there last weekend and went 5 for 5 on my first casts. Its pretty much like that all the time....one of those places where you start wondering what the hell is wrong if you don't catch one.

Size wise the fish aren't "huge." The fish in the lakes range from 10" to 25" with most in the 12"-15" range.
    Sweet, you must have a plane to get over there huh? Here is a link to the mapping:

http://sf.adfg.state.ak.us/SARR/surv...shSurv_ims.cfm

I haven't been able to get the mapping to work properly today, maybe there is something wrong with my computer.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

That is a pretty good tool ADFG put together. Thanks for sharing. I'll have to take some time to look around on it.

Thanks for the info everyone. Is that river floatable to the copper or would that be a death wish. Also, the Hanagita looks good too. Mainly wondering about logistics. Where would be the best place to catch a flight from? Would you recommend fshing with a motor to get back to the lake? Or is it the kind of place that you set up camp at the mouth and stay there?
    Thanks again!

Trying to keep the thread up top.

Rippin,

I don't really know anyone that fishes/guides/outfits the "lower" Tebay River but if you are interested in fishing Hanagita lake and its outlet you can contact Alaska Wilderness Outfitters who runs out of there. http://www.alaskawilderness.com/a7.htm.

As I understand it the best timing for Steelhead in Hanagita is later in the fall and for Lake trout its in the earlier part of spring. Grayling are there all summer. The guys at AK Wilderness will be more helpfull I'm sure.

Default tebay lakes

several years ago we rented a cabin on lower tebay lake from orca lodge in cordova. it came with a boat with a motor so you can putt over to the outlet or up to the connector stream between middle and lower tebay. there was a good trail from lower to middle tebay.there was a rowboat on middle tebay that you could use to row up to the connector stream between upper and middle tebay. to get up to upper tebay was a bushwack. the rainbow fishing was so easy that it tended to get boring and we would move between lakes for a change of scenery. the outlet of lower tebay doesnt have a trail and drops pretty rapidly after the initial half mile or so. it might be fishable farther down but we didnt try. tebay lakes is a beautiful spot. you could fly in from cordova or from the commercial operator on tolsona lake on the glenn highway(spacing on the name).

Quote Originally Posted by lakecreek View Post
    several years ago we rented a cabin on lower tebay lake from orca lodge in cordova. it came with a boat with a motor so you can putt over to the outlet or up to the connector stream between middle and lower tebay. there was a good trail from lower to middle tebay.there was a rowboat on middle tebay that you could use to row up to the connector stream between upper and middle tebay. to get up to upper tebay was a bushwack. the rainbow fishing was so easy that it tended to get boring and we would move between lakes for a change of scenery. the outlet of lower tebay doesnt have a trail and drops pretty rapidly after the initial half mile or so. it might be fishable farther down but we didnt try. tebay lakes is a beautiful spot. you could fly in from cordova or from the commercial operator on tolsona lake on the glenn highway(spacing on the name).

Lee`s Air Taxi on Tolsona...Jerry is the operator now that his dad Al is not flying anymore.

Thanks again everyone!