Thread: Where'd the Whittier halibut go?

Default Where'd the Whittier halibut go?

The only places I know of near Whittier are Esther rock and the three seamounts just outside of Pigot bay and heading north.

They usually dont produce anything bigger than 40 pounds but I usually have a few chickens by now, this year - nothing; zip, zilch, nada.

On a tip from B&Js (great store) ran down to Eshamy bay to jig and soak a circle hook. Caught a whole bunch of rockfish and a 20 inch kelp greenling (how do those taste?) but no halibut.

Any ideas on what happened or where to go? Not anybodies secret holes, but the "everybody knows" places to try.

I dont have the range to get to Montegue, I can just get to northernmost bits of Knight island but I'm into my 1/3rd reserve if I do.

I've got a few of 'em in my freezer, but I suppose that's something less than helpful.

I've had no luck anywhere close to Whittier this year - not near Pigot, not near Applegate, not off of Perry. Have had to go further south, beyond your apparent range.

Sounds like it's time to talk the wife into upgrading that boat!

We've noticed the same thing. Every weekend we have fished our holes there have been less and less halibut until last weekend when we got nada.... Talked to some charter guys in Whittier that said it just dropped off and they were even having trouble finding fish.....

Weird....
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I've had the same problem this year. I had a chicken hole that produced well last year, but it seems desolate this year. I have managed to land a 50 and 60 pounder so far this year out of Whittier, but they were more luck than skill. I caught the 60 pounder last weekend in about 60 feet of water while targeting black bass, and the 50 pounder on a flat muddy bottom in 250 feet while waiting for a buddy to meet up with us near decision point. Both times we returned to those spots we got nothing. Hopefully the salmon bring the halibut further in during the coming weeks. My bigger halibut had a small silver salmon (18 inch) in his belly when we cut him open. Hopefully his buddies are close behind!

This is the last thing I wanted to hear. I'll be there in a few days. Hopefully it'll pick up!

Default That monster halibut was caught up Port Wells...

And I know that for a FACT...the only problem is that it was far enough up the Port that you'd do better to load up on the jerry cans and just go to Monty.

This a good thread to remind people that 100+ pound fish are breeders and have an effect on population/genetics long after the meat from one is handed off to friends `cause there`s too much for the freezer.

Default fishing drought

Oh let`s see---Let`s put a road to Whittier and see how fast the fish are depleted! It is just about as cleaned out as Resurection and Kachemak bays. I am surprised anyone needed to ask this question.

last 2 posts are right on its pretty obvious why the charters keep going further out.

Default Maybe it's just me...

but i have been getting into Halibut out there every weekend i have gone. I only run between 25-40 miles out and i have boated 4 last weekend in the 40 lb range and pulled one up about 150 lb's. Weekend before we pulled one up in 120 lb range and the rest we kept were all between 25-40 lb's. Keep on trying new spots cause they are there!

DW

Quote Originally Posted by IceKing02 View Post
    And I know that for a FACT...the only problem is that it was far enough up the Port that you'd do better to load up on the jerry cans and just go to Monty.
    How big was that one?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Use scent's...

We managed to get 6 between 25-90 lbs in three hours in our usual location in the Sound three weeks ago. Octopus soaked in herring oil and Mustads pheremone scents.
    Released a handful of chickens to get a good stringer full.
    BK