Thread: Flies for Kenai bows in Sept? Here is a few, any suggestions?

Default Flies for Kenai bows in Sept? Here is a few, any suggestions?

Getting excited about hitting the Upper Kenai in mid Sept. Adding a few flies to my box and wanted some input if anyone is willing to share. Got a few patterns that I thought would do well. Anyone have anything they would add? PM's welcome of course.

Ordered these today from the good folks at www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com

They sell the best flies I have ever bought. Nice folks too!

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I also got these from Hill's Discount Flies...

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default flesh flies

I would have flesh flies in a few different colors, some brighter, more fresh, and some more faded. I carry them fishing throughout the fall, but rarely use them, it is hard to go wrong with beads. There are a few places online and in Anchorage to buy a decent assortment of beads, or you can go crazy and paint your own. One warning about painting your own, it is very addicting! You will spend hours working on the perfect one, end up buying more nail polish than your wife owns, and end up with beads so pretty, you won't want to fish with them. Other than that, it is a lot of fun.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

I was planning on bringing flesh flies and beads primarily, with a few bead head buggers/ESLs thrown in.

What's that fly you got from Hill's called? Looks like some kind of shrimp pattern?

Is this one Egg sucking flesh?
    Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post

Default looks like steak and eggs to me..

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post
    I was planning on bringing flesh flies and beads primarily, with a few bead head buggers/ESLs thrown in.

What's that fly you got from Hill's called? Looks like some kind of shrimp pattern?

Flesh and egg patterns combined are known as steak and eggs... Even better is a pegged bead above a flesh fly though.

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Flesh and egg patterns combined are known as steak and eggs... Even better is a pegged bead above a flesh fly though.
    It's a pretty beefed up version of steak and eggs.

Maybe I'm thinking of bacon and eggs
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Hmmm seems to me I own several of everything you posted
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by FishnPhil View Post

10-4 on the egg sucking flesh fly.

The fly from Hill's Discount Flies is a Chosen River Special. Took them to the Goodnews River in '07. Thought I would give them a try on the Upper Kenai. Below are the fly names from www.alaskaflyfishinggoods.com ....

Articulated Rubber Legs Flesh
    Dolly Llama Ginger/Pink (#2)
    Egg Sucking Flesh Fly #4
    Dolly LLama Olive & White (size: 2)

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Hmmm seems to me I own several of everything you posted

Imagine that

You own one of each of these as well. Ordered an extra for my newest, yet unmet, fishing buddy. Just remind me of this when I see you as I have the memory of a 90 year old sometimes. Figured I would not offer any to June. She already seems to outfish you most the time as it is. My wife does the same to me

The Choker. Worked like a charm last september.

The Happy Meal. Awesome swinging fly, responsible for multiple large fish hookups on one great late september day.

Both available from alaskaflyfishinggoods.com

Imagine that

You own one of each of these as well. Ordered an extra for my newest, yet unmet, fishing buddy. Just remind me of this when I see you as I have the memory of a 90 year old sometimes. Figured I would not offer any to June. She already seems to outfish you most the time as it is. My wife does the same to me

Well well, guess I will have to hook hogzilla on one of them in front of you

Oh I wish. Fishaplooza will be here soon my friend
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by G_Smolt View Post

The Choker. Worked like a charm last september.

The Happy Meal. Awesome swinging fly, responsible for multiple large fish hookups on one great late september day.

Both available from alaskaflyfishinggoods.com
    Those flies look crazy!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

bigcox,

That is one heck of a fly, I agree. But I do like the name, happy meal. Creative thinking. I saw one on the site, preparation H. Yeah, it had a red/orange but

Cool signature you got there...

"The tug is the drug"

Good stuff.

GSmolt, those are some of the coolest flies I've seen. Thanks for the link. I get two trips north to AK this year! In late Aug on the 'Pak and mid-Sept on the Kenai. Tying a bunch of those puppies up!!!!!

Flies!!! We don't need no stinkin' flies!!!!!

http://www.troutbeads.com/Products.html

Although, swinging flies is mucho fun!!!

Default beads..

I got enough beads to make bracelets at a Girl Scout Jamboree

Now I just need to learn how to fish them.

I am more familiar with flies, especially wet fly swing, so I was hoping to get some ideas. I should learn plenty in September. Can't wait!

Default +1 for the Kenai...

I also got these from Hill's Discount Flies...

They work!

Default Indicators?

In deeper sections of the Kenai, with brisk current, a buddy I was fishing with in mid-September did much better using indicators. I resisted but caught fewer fish in that section for 2 days. Finally, I relented, stuck on a few (they were the foam, sticky type) and did better.

Of course, I still caught fewer fish in that section than he did. Nothing is better than experience. But the indicator made strike detection easier.

There, I said it. Have a great trip, Dan.

Dwight,

Thanks for the info and the rainbow pic. Awesome shot with the fly in the mouth. Neat shot. Your hair is much longer than I would have thought

10-4 on the strike indicator. I just ordered some more flies from Alaska Fly Fishing Goods and had some 3/4" Thingamabobbers put on that order. Never really used an indicator before, but it sounds like a good idea on the Upper Kenai. Always fun to learn something new.