Thread: Susitna River

Question Susitna River

Does anybody have any info on running the Sisitna River down past where the Maclaren River enters? How is the boat launch and parking? Does this area get alot of pressure/boat traffic? Thanks in advance for any info.

Wink

The launch is good. Most folks park along side the road, but there are about three parking spots off the road. Or you can park in the gravel pits on either side of the bridge and walk back and forth. Not too far of a walk if you do this. Generally the only boat traffic you will see there is during Hunting Season. There is some really good fishing to be had, but most folks won't go to that level of effort to catch fish. I would recommend this spot, only if you are experienced in boating and know your boats capabilities and limitations. It is not for the inexperienced operator or the faint of heart. It can be a cake walk or a real challenge. I have seen it both ways, even on the same trip. F&G gave out Any Bull Moose Permits this year, for that area, so you can very well expect there will be more boats in there this year than any previous year.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

If you are going during hunting season it can get very tricky to nearly impossible to get back to the launch if the weather gets cold. I have seen the water levels drop 2 to 3 feet in the course of a day. Also seen it rise the same if things happen to warmup. A real rainy season keeps things pretty stable.

Should be a real ZOO with the any bull premits being issued for the area. Might be worth the price of admission to watch folks trying to get back to the launch at the end of the season.

I would agree with Doug. Once you get past the "flats" you should be OK. Problem is picking the right channel. This part of the river from the bridge for about maybe 5-10 mile the river is over a mile wide.

One year a guy was putting in a thunder Jet type and we warned him not too. A few days later we saw him on shore with a blowen V-8. He had to have another engine flown in.

Only do this trip if you have a light boat, so if you run up on a sand bar you can get it off.

I have been told not to go very far past Tyone creek.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I would agree with Doug. Once you get past the "flats" you should be OK. Problem is picking the right channel. This part of the river from the bridge for about maybe 5-10 mile the river is over a mile wide.

One year a guy was putting in a thunder Jet type and we warned him not too. A few days later we saw him on shore with a blown V-8. He had to have another engine flown in I remember that guy.

Only do this trip if you have a light boat, so if you run up on a sand bar you can get it off. You may have to it quite a distance to get it to float again.

I have been told not to go very far past Tyone creek. Never heard that one other then it's the long way out????
    That part of the river and where you can run can be very tricky sometimes and rarely is it exactly the same as the year before. Again the water levels can change drastically in a matter of hours.

I seen two boats take about 16 hours to make it back to the launch. They even tried a west side pull out for one boat but soon realized that was not going to work. Also seen a boat go out two days before the season but never made out of the sight of the bridge.

Thanks for all the info and replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    That part of the river and where you can run can be very tricky sometimes and rarely is it exactly the same as the year before. Again the water levels can change drastically in a matter of hours.

I seen two boats take about 16 hours to make it back to the launch. They even tried a west side pull out for one boat but soon realized that was not going to work. Also seen a boat go out two days before the season but never made out of the sight of the bridge.
    Isn't devil's canyon (falls) not too far past Tyone creek????

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/