Thread: might move to fairbanks

Default might move to fairbanks

im not in the miltary but after i'm all done with work this summer at the cannery, im thinking of heading to fairbanks for the winter to stay with someone. I guess if i end up leaving the kenai for good, i can kiss my reds and silvers and king fishing goodby huh? Unless i return for work down here next year which I would like.

There seems to be far more good paying jobs in FB. Every time I look on ALEXsys you guys are loaded up there. I have many years of travel experience and working for a major airline down south and i have applied with ERA and Everts air, online recently but not holding my breath in any means being 700 miles away. duck hunting is much better up your way. can you guys tell me how good it can really get for you up there? you guys who are able to hunt 2, 4 days a week how many ducks you kill before ya all freeze up there? You get 2 months in or maybe less? thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by honker View Post
    im not in the miltary but after i'm all done with work this summer at the cannery, im thinking of heading to fairbanks for the winter to stay with someone. I guess if i end up leaving the kenai for good, i can kiss my reds and silvers and king fishing goodby huh? Unless i return for work down here next year which I would like.

There seems to be far more good paying jobs in FB. Every time I look on ALEXsys you guys are loaded up there. I have many years of travel experience and working for a major airline down south and i have applied with ERA and Everts air, online recently but not holding my breath in any means being 700 miles away. duck hunting is much better up your way. can you guys tell me how good it can really get for you up there? you guys who are able to hunt 2, 4 days a week how many ducks you kill before ya all freeze up there? You get 2 months in or maybe less? thanks for the info.
    One month duck season here. With a few bonus days in Oct sometimes.
    Tim

Well you dont have to kiss the silvers goodbye, well if you like smokin them. We have the late silver run up in the Delta Clearwater around the end of Sept or early Oct....gets later and later every year it seems...as far as the ducks below is a link to a thread I put up last year, was pushin the envelope on these birds by busting ice in the canoe but still managed to get them... I would say a month and a half of good wingshooting...good luck

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=40054

i remember that post. u guys showed everyone how it's done in Alaska, when the snow flies. u managed to bag them ducks before they high tailed it out of state. the reason why i mention it like this is because i hunted the lower 48 for most of my life and it seems where you guys are at one of the furthest places north where 60% of our pacific flyway birds come from it's a different spectrum to waterfowling. hitting them far north before it unfortionatly all goes quiet. i hunted in the snow only twice. once below skilak in 2004 shooting golden eyes. i ended up mounting a beauty and stinking up the kitchen on some others. never again will i cook them inside. month in a half is what we usually get down in CA every year because of the mild weather. the season starts down there the 3rd week of oct and is good for that weekend, and the following (wed. shoot day) then it's blue bird weather until the 2nd week of dec. mid dec through jan is what we usually get. sacramento holds most of those birds with all the flooded rice fields.

Default Interior

The jobs are here but........higher cost of living......colder winters higher heating bills.......if you move please take all those things into consideration.........we have a influx of newcomers in the summer and alot of yard sales/moving the next summer. Price of real estate has not come down alot homes for sale.......maybe next summer home prices will come down........along with property taxes......raise the mil rate /lower the property value or raise the proterty value/ lower the mil rate......take your pick.

well honker I moved from Sterling in May to the Fairbanks area if you make the move give me a shout and we'll give it a try if you want some company.