Thread: Success!, Kimber Montana and Tubb's final finish

Default Success!, Kimber Montana and Tubb's final finish

Well, it's been a long, tough road, but I've finally figured out my Kimber 30-06. I was having a heck of a time with accuracy, only getting 3" groups with factory Rem core-lokt 180 and 220 grn ammo, and 2.5" with Nosler Custom Competition 168 gr handloads. I tried about 5-6 different factory loads... dont remember them all now, but with very poor success.

Before giving up on a $1200 rifle, or returning it to Kimber (a real PITA), I decided to try Tubb's Final Finish bore lapping process. I paid about $30 on midway for it, and figured it was worth a shot.

50 rounds loaded and shot later, (with a LOT of cleaning in-between), I finally feel like I have a $1200 rifle. My first group was with HDY A-max 178, and it made one ragged hole (100 yds.). Next, for my hunting load was 180 gr. Barnes TTSX, which printed a .75" group at 2600 fps. with 56.0 gr RL-22, Federal 215M match primers, which was a starting load. I'll continue to work up to see what I get from there.

If you have a problem rifle, I highly recommend trying Tubb's Final Finish. It saved me a ton of headache, and also made the bore a cinch to clean.

Default Cleaning?

Akheloce: When you say, "with a LOT of cleaning in-between," did the Tubbs leave a residue?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Akheloce: When you say, "with a LOT of cleaning in-between," did the Tubbs leave a residue?

Thanks.

It is all residue...I think he means cleaning between each grit change.

The Tubb final finish is 50 bullets (not loaded ammo) ten each of different grits to polish or fire lap the bore. You load the bullets then you fire through your barrel to smooth it up and clean thoroughly between stages.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    If you have a problem rifle, I highly recommend trying Tubb's Final Finish. It saved me a ton of headache, and also made the bore a cinch to clean.
    I agree that the Tubb's Final Finish is a wonderful tool and often recommend it to friends with ailing rifles.

Thanks for the info, I will give it a try on one of my Kimbers with marginal accuracy.

I recently bought a new Ruger Varmint MK-II chambered in .204 Ruger. I bought the Tubbs final finish kit and got busy loading. The bullets in this kit are Blitz King 39gr with some type of grit coating. I used 5 each of the first three compounds and 10 each of the next two compounds.

Before firing my first shot I did notice that the cleaning rod was dragging in a spot or two in the barrel. After shooting these compounds the barrel is noticeably slick and cleaning is very easy. Accuracy of this rifle is first rate. I can't say that the kit helped accuracy since I never shot it prior to the kit but it's slick and cleans with ease.

I bought the final finish system for my .308 but it shoots so good that I don't want to change anything about its finish at this time.

I loaded a set for my cousins .375 and I'm waiting on his report. The .375 uses 300gr coated Game Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post

Thanks.

Murphy is absolutely correct.

Tubb recommeds getting the barrel extremely clean before starting, so that the lapping grit is working the metal, not the copper/lead left in the barrel. It is recommended to clean after each 10 round group.

I loaded another 50 for my AR, which is built with a rack military grade barrel. It currently holds 1.75" groups with handloads, hoping to tighten it up.

I would recommend that you do not use Final Finish on a custom barrel, or one that shoots well out of the box. I wouldn't fix what isn't broken.

Just a note, if you are using the product, while you are shooting the bullets, the groups will be huge. At first, I was getting worried because I thought it was making the accuacy worse. Additionally, I was losing 20-30 fps with each 10 shot string.

However, once it was complete and I shot my regular bullets, the accuracy was WAY better than before, and the FPS came back up to pre-lapping levels.