Thread: Kodiak Island wide king tourney results

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Kodiak Island wide king tourney results

The 3rd annual derby from May 15th-July 6th results are in! 1st 66 pounds, 2nd 65 pounds, 3rd 63 pounds. All anglers landed the big ones from the Old Harbor area using local guides.

This is Tony Beatty fighting the 63 pounder, wind was NE45 with rain. We used whole herring with no flasher trolled 35 feet down.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Would love to see a biologic aspect to that derby.

Scale sample for age and tissue sample for DNA at weigh in, especially on all the HUGE fish that seem to be consistently taken in your area in the past decade.

Somebody (besides me) must have some interest in determining stock of origin on those pigs.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default commercial fishing

I had a charter for these hogs who were owners of several boats(draggers, longliners, crabbers) they were familar with the question because the finger has been pointed at them for the decline in kings(bycatch by draggers) I asked where are the kings coming from and one recalled a study using drags and they found that it was a melting pot of kings coming from all streams in the pacific rim.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Sure you are catching kings that are headed to a "melting pot" of places in the Pacific Rim. There are only a couple of rivers in the world that see 50 pound kings on a regular basis and neither of these are located on Kodiak.

No doubt that the Old Harbor hawgs gracing the the articals and advertisements in glossy magazines and the internet are NOT from Kodiak.

I agree with iceblue.... I know of only three systems that consistently grow fish of that size.

They look too stumpy to be Kenai fish. Skeena fish are also generally longer and leaner like Kenai fish. In contrast, Rivers Inlet fish are known for their rotund stumpy build.

Of course it could just be that the Kenai and Skeena fish caught in the river have had a chance to undergo more outward physical changes associated with sexual maturity. River Inlet fish are caught in deep marine fjords.

The only way to know for sure is a DNA analysis.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default How can u conclude that they are not Kenai fish?

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    No doubt that the Old Harbor hawgs gracing the the articals and advertisements in glossy magazines and the internet are NOT from Kodiak.

I agree with iceblue.... I know of only three systems that consistently grow fish of that size.

They look too stumpy to be Kenai fish. Skeena fish are also generally longer and leaner like Kenai fish. In contrast, Rivers Inlet fish are known for their rotund stumpy build.

Of course it could just be that the Kenai and Skeena fish caught in the river have had a chance to undergo more outward physical changes associated with sexual maturity. River Inlet fish are caught in deep marine fjords.

The only way to know for sure is a DNA analysis.
    Likely that Kenai fish are very much more robust in the ocean then they are when they are caught inriver... likely that Kenai fish rear in Kodiak at one time or another and I would not rule them out becuase what is caught in river are less girthy fish. Upon returning to spawn these fish have opten loss significant fat reseves even if they are chrome bright... As it has been addressed many time before Kenai fish are known for coming in w/ color and appear to start maturing long before river entry, suggesting significant change in body fat and shape.

For the record, I reached no conclusions...

That's why I left myself this out-clause:

However, my stance on DNA sampling is remains firm.

Now if we could just find ADFG staff with a research interest in the matter.
    The KeenEye MD

Default Better double check NOAA...

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    For the record, I reached no conclusions...

That's why I left myself this out-clause:

However, my stance on DNA sampling is remains firm.

Now if we could just find ADFG staff with a research interest in the matter.

There should be some data available... NOAA has pretty extensive samples from this region, just not likley from the sport catch.

Default DNA

I didnt make myself clear, we catch all kinds of kings, all heading to streams from all over. 50% of the kings are white meat. Today we landed 3 and one was white. This is Roy and Jolene from Ca on thier first day of thier annual trip to Old Harbor. 3 kings, one halibut, 3 rockfish, 3 humpies, 1 silver all troll caught and heading to the freezer!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com